Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking roof seal

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Are you able to pop the roof, get the heater on a high setting to fully dry the roof lining out, (with the roof elevated)

The Current rain should not affect the roof waterproof ability of the canvas, it should do it’s will job by keeping the water out, the canvas will merely improve the waterproof properties when it gets wet and dries.
This will replicate camping, roof up heater on and a.low the canvas and linings to dry out, which may help with the next stage.

Once the roof is dry ( properly dry) may take a few days, try blotting the previously damp headlining with tissue paper, applying firm pressure for a short time, to confirm it is properly dry, lower the roof and try to replicate the issue with a Hose, spraying the front of the roof only with lots of water.

Lift the roof and check with tissue paper blotting the previous damp areas

If you fail to dry the roof lining properly it could go mouldy.

With a dry roof you should be able to see if the problem can be repeated under test conditions without allowing the time for water to spread too far, which may help narrow the search area. With the roof down and various surfaces touching eachother the water could be migrating across the waterproof canvas to find the lowest position. I.e. the canvas / bed surface

B

be1t0n

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So......I tried the paper test and it was held tight. However, I do think the water I think the water is getting from the channel above the roof over the passenger door. it looks like the most obvious place for it. Picture attached was taken just now and it's coming in at the same spot again and this appears to be directly underneath that channel

IMG_2099.JPG

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
In your post 1 - is the channel you're meaning the rain gutter? or some other channel on the roof itself?

I don't think that gap should be there in pic 2, but I might be wrong. There is a seal behind that under the roof which should seal the bellows area as well, but that gap won't help matters...
I'll check mine and take a pic tomorrow for you.

B

be1t0n

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
In your post 1 - is the channel you're meaning the rain gutter? or some other channel on the roof itself?

I don't think that gap should be there in pic 2, but I might be wrong. There is a seal behind that under the roof which should seal the bellows area as well, but that gap won't help matters...
I'll check mine and take a pic tomorrow for you.
The channel down the roof that roof bars would fit into.....which I assume is also the rain gutter.

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
If the channels where the roof mechanism drops into is filling with water, then this would indicate your drains are not draining, or draining quick enough...

I'll post a pic tomorrow for comparison :thumb

B

be1t0n

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
If the channels where the roof mechanism drops into is filling with water, then this would indicate your drains are not draining, or draining quick enough...
Those drains are fine. I've checked them. It looks more like the issue is water draining from the gutter on the top of the pop top, like the ones shown in the pic withe solar panel attached (not my van)

T5Caliabove_900x900.png

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Ah, that makes more sense where the water is on the roof headlining... and possibly a bit more serious...
I'll have a think, but you could try taping over the rail as a temporary test...

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Try taping over each of the rivets and check for gaps around the rail, there must be sealant under the rail, no sealant = leak
But you cannot check without removing the rail !

Last edited:
Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have marked up a couple of you photos to try and get a better understanding of the issue and try to highlight several things

Can you confirm the text I have annotated on your pictures is correct?

091149E0-90F8-415F-8299-9E836751746D.pngACB76CDA-5E05-4892-BA77-FC87EECFE896.jpeg

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Post number 30, second picture,: can you confirm is this photo is looking toward the windscreen, ( front of the van) or away toward the rear ?

B

be1t0n

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Post number 30, second picture,: can you confirm is this photo is looking toward the windscreen, ( front of the van) or away toward the rear ?
This is stood looking at the front of the roof above the windscreen from the front. The gap is directly above the windscreen.

B

brucetnw

VIP Member
We had a similar problem by the looks of your photo. VW did a water test and it transpired that a couple of the rivets on one of the silver channels on the roof were letting water in. Required a new roof.Since you’re still under guarantee that shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately we were out of warranty!

B

be1t0n

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We had a similar problem by the looks of your photo. VW did a water test and it transpired that a couple of the rivets on one of the silver channels on the roof were letting water in. Required a new roof.Since you’re still under guarantee that shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately we were out of warranty!
Fingers crossed.

Strangely, since booking it back in for VW to look at I haven't seen a problem. Typical. I'll see what they come back with next week.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I had a water leak at back on the right side once, after I got a new roof.
It appeared to be the hole under the plastic trim at the end of the roofrail.
If you pull out the black tab in the plastic trim, there are in total of the roof 4 holes. They should be filled up with silicone or whatever. Mine had a very small hole as the sealant wasn't completely filled up. Just filled it up with some silicone and no water anymore.

Maybe you have this on the front left trim? Worth looking.