Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof mattress options + advice please

There are just the two of us and we have always slept upstairs during our trips to fourteen different countries (with just two exceptions in over two years due to storms).

I'm guessing this is the most common scenario. So for a couple who generally sleep upstairs and only sleep downstairs during a bad storm, would this work?.........

1" Comfortz mattress and Zonesleep upstairs, then in the rare storm, drag the zonesleep onto the lower bed (I know it's a bit big). If the difference in sizes is too great, could a zonesleep be designed to work on both beds, with a fold up side and corner cut out?

Personally I wouldn't want to start modifying a Zonesleep that has been made to measure for upstairs. On the rare occasions that we've slept downstairs we've managed fine on the VW Comfort mattress without s topper.

Duvalays work well for us - we have two 4cm 4.5tog ones, and put them side by side in the top bed. We fold one inside out so that both duvalays open next to each other down the middle. I found the standard VW mattress to be a bit firm when sleeping on my side, but adding a duvalay on top of it results in a very comfy sleep for me.

One thing we've found is that two duvalays don't quite fit in the space, so there's a small ridge where they overlap in the middle. This is fine for us but may bug some people. The duvalays also take up quite a bit of space when rolled up, but again this works for us just fine!

Incidentally, I'm 6'2", and find the duvalay just long enough.

Hi all,

As it was I who posted this original query, thought I would post quick update.
I can now confirm we have opted for option B. This equates to a zonesleep topper on to Nicks 1" replacement roof mattress. Feedback to date, is the mattress and topper feel good together. Our real test will come in September when we plan 2 weeks away. I will up date accordingly.

I now have a VW roof mattress available if anyone wants to make me an offer. ;0).

By the way thanks to Nick at Comfortz .

Hi Andyrob
Having used this combination what are your thoughts? I can sleep ok on the standard mattress but I've been using a 1" foam topper recently and yes, it's much better. So I'm considering using the 1" memory foam and zonesleep topper, like you. Did you find it an improvement over the original VW mattress.
Thanks
Paul

Hi Andyrob
Having used this combination what are your thoughts? I can sleep ok on the standard mattress but I've been using a 1" foam topper recently and yes, it's much better. So I'm considering using the 1" memory foam and zonesleep topper, like you. Did you find it an improvement over the original VW mattress.
Thanks
Paul
Hi paul,

Yes I can confirm improvement - It simply just feels a whole lot more comfortable. I usually sleep on a hard mattress so it works really well for us.

HTH
Andy

Back