Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Mounting Point - Mounting an antenna

After many hours of searching the net for a suitable CB Antenna mount I took it upon myself to modify a hatchback mount, I cut the tabs off drilled a couple of holes and used a couple of the rail fixings I had but replaced the thumb turns for nyloc nuts! Doesn't look too bad & does the job!

Hope this helps!

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5117.jpg

After many hours of searching the net for a suitable CB Antenna mount I took it upon myself to modify a hatchback mount, I cut the tabs off drilled a couple of holes and used a couple of the rail fixings I had but replaced the thumb turns for nyloc nuts! Doesn't look too bad & does the job!

Hope this helps!

View attachment 55739

View attachment 55740
Just out if interest, where did you mount the rig in the van ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I am liking the idea of using the side rail a lot. Surprised there are no off the shelf parts to do this.

For now I’ve used this , it’s got a 70cm antenna on it or I sometimes swap for a vertical for 2m/70cm

E73EB02E-8C11-47AE-8190-60EC794195AC.jpeg

Hope this helps!

View attachment 55739

View attachment 55740
I like this and it's the only solution I have found after many hours of searching. Out of interest does that config get decent SWR and is it grounded in any way? I'm a returning CBer about to rig up but I don't have an antenna solution for my 6.1 (and won't be drilling any holes!). Cheers if you pick this one up.

I like this and it's the only solution I have found after many hours of searching. Out of interest does that config get decent SWR and is it grounded in any way? I'm a returning CBer about to rig up but I don't have an antenna solution for my 6.1 (and won't be drilling any holes!). Cheers if you pick this one up.

Hi, overall the SWR was fine the only issue was the bracket itself wasn't the best quality and kept working itself loose at the adjustable points!

If an awning is fitted it may be possible to fabricate a bracket that attaches to the awning mounting. That should also provide an earthing point. On one side of the body so not the best of reception.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 55739

View attachment 55740
I was going to this and made I even fabricated a S/S mount then I found out the the rail is only glued on.. so I abandoned the idea, in the process of fabricating a bracket for the awning side as the awning is mounted into the body I think there is less chance of peeling the rail off.

thankyou will look at. I assume given the lifting roof its a weak point of the vehicle?
I immediately notice mag mounts. Ok on VHF but not HF that demands a proper ground to the 'chassis' or at least a decent counterpoise (which I think for portable operation I think I am going to do). Thats why I am attracted to a tow bar thing..... yet to be worked out.

I immediately notice mag mounts. Ok on VHF but not HF that demands a proper ground to the 'chassis' or at least a decent counterpoise (which I think for portable operation I think I am going to do). Thats why I am attracted to a tow bar thing..... yet to be worked out.
Did you ever work out a mount for the tow bar ?
I’m wanting to put my Amstrad 901 in the California for some reliving the olden days 33 years ago !

CB54A9A8-DD6D-4B0F-A4F7-3AA39AD955F1.png
Found this in the Bay of e’s. Looks a nice low mount. Thinking of mounting under the awning bracket. Will it work with the body being galvanised?

Back