Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof nightmare

Argh, came to close the roof, one side went down slower than the other, before clunking into place. Got home and raised the roof for drying and checking, one side goes up, other doesn't! Praying that it's a dodgy strut or something, but fearing an expensive repair. Anyone here had anything similar? Now the roof won't close properly and local van centre can't look at it for 2 weeks
I had a nightmare with this on my t5 SE and bought a coast to avoid it and the agency I bought it from added the electric roof as an option! First night we used it, it had the problem you're having. Save yourself the nightmare of taking the panel off inside and releasing it if you can, I got the technician to push the roof flat and it enabled the electrics to work again. Ours is in to be looked at on tuesday but I suspect a leak or faulty strut. This one's under warranty so hopefully covered but replacing one on my T5 a few years ago was £1900. Hope you get it fixed!

Wow Peter - Argentina to Canada - what an adventure - Top Banana!

Out of interest - why South to North?
Being from New Zealand we shipped our VW to Valpariso in Chile then drove down to the bottom of Argentina after which we then commenced our drive up to Canada. Intention was then to ship to UK but logistics got in the way so sold it in the USA. However we were so wrapped with the VW Vanagon Westphalia that we decided to treat ourselves to a new LHD Ocean for touring Europe

Update, vw centre said that one of the hinges was bent.... £430. Collecting tomorrow :Does vip membership here still get me a discount at vw Liverpool, does anyone know? Thanks for your interest and advice here.

Oh, I've just seen that I get 10% off, so that's justified the membership here!

If it's sovled with a new hinge part you are lucky , unfortunate it seems to cost a lot doh .

Have you any idea how the hinge got bent?

Could it have been with the uneven lowering?

A new hinge isn't cheap, it probably could be straightened but they
don't do that sort of stuff.

Hopefully its all sorted now though :thumb

Yes, I wish I had the know-how to take on a job I like that... Don't know how it happened, and they said that that part of the mechanism wasn't touched during the anti - corrosion work done on the van earlier this year.
In first year of ownership, this '62 van has cost me far too much... Hopefully that's it now though!

QUOTE="westfalia, post: 450163, member: 1628"]

[/QUOTE]

One last annoying update...
Vw van centre, when asked to take off the 10% vip discount promised here, told me that that reduction had already been factored in.... That's easy for them to say, to avoid applying the discount. So, £86/hr is the labour charge after discount!?

Back