Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible Elevating Roof Fault

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys, sorry if this thread has been discussed before and I’ve missed it but I’m after some advise on my year 2008 California, today when I pressed my elevating roof button to raise it there was a sort of crack sound......it went up ok but when I put it down it came down one side before the other and didn’t close properly, as I was 3.5 hours from home I didn’t mess with it there and then, when I got home I raised and lowered it half a dozen times and it’s now fine ???.......Is there and maintenance ie oiling of the joints/ pivots I need to regularly do?, Thanks for any advise Guys.....Janno

Hi Guys, sorry if this thread has been discussed before and I’ve missed it but I’m after some advise on my year 2008 California, today when I pressed my elevating roof button to raise it there was a sort of crack sound......it went up ok but when I put it down it came down one side before the other and didn’t close properly, as I was 3.5 hours from home I didn’t mess with it there and then, when I got home I raised and lowered it half a dozen times and it’s now fine ???.......Is there and maintenance ie oiling of the joints/ pivots I need to regularly do?, Thanks for any advise Guys.....Janno
There isn’t any specific maintenance, but some do lightly oil the joints etc: and I do mean lightly.
But one thing I do every so often is raise the roof and thoroughly clean the rubber seal on the roof and where it sits when closed.
I also wipe over the seal with some Silicone, sprayed on a cloth or similar rubber lubricant, or even talcum powder, to stop the seal sticking to the roof when closed.

As WelshGas said
The sound could be the roof seal beeing sticked-on.
The roof slightly lowering by itself on one side is also a common thing .
Keep an eye on things and try not to worry...