Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof not closing when on ramps

Pasper2

Pasper2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
This is probably in the manual but admit I have never spotted it and is probably glaringly obvious however will let you know anyway!

Basically we got pitched up with the topper on and then had to move a few metres to keep the attendants happy! The roof was up at this time. We then levelled it on the ramps and happily camped away the weekend. On leaving the site we lowered the roof and it would not close properly on the side where the ramps were, however in the process of panic we had not realised it was still on the ramps! The roof was open about 10-15mm on the passenger side and after 6 or 7 attempts we concluded we had broken it! Went to drive off and then realised we were on ramps but at that time did not put 2 and 2 together as was worrying about a horrendous roof repair cost.

Drove all the way home with no issue and luckily it was booked in for 4 year service and cambelt the next day so asked them to look at the roof expecting the worst. The tech guys opened and closed it 3 or 4 times but no issues at all and has been fine this weekend too!

Hence only open and close the roof once on ramps and fully set up I guess there must have been some torsional stress in the roof/body causing the issue.

That'll be the bodyshell twisting slightly.

Can't complain really. There is a big section of roof cutout after all.

Always best not to operate the roof when on not-leveled .
Having the Cali on ramps could have given torsion on the chassis as @sidepod said.
Scary thing to see .....had it once...

We never use leveling ramps but have often camped on uneven ground which is surely the same and never had this problem.

I would have thought that if the shell had twisted that much, the screen would explode and the you'd only ever get three wheels of your wagon onto the ground!