Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Open Message

R

Rgthomas

Hi All,

I've owned my California for 7 Years now and, apart from the roof corrosion problems, have been relatively trouble free - until recently. After 4 months enforced inactivity, I suddenly got a "Roof Open" warning and a "pinging" sound when I started the engine. I checked the roof and it was fully closed. It did open with a bit of a struggle, but wouldn't come back down immediately. It did eventually, but now I can't get it to open at all. I am able to drive it, and have taken it on a few longish runs to see if it is a battery problem. Has anybody experienced anything similar, if so, I would be very grateful for some advice please?

RG Thomas (Cardiff)

It works on ALL California Control Panels.

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.

Control panel On

Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.

New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.

If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.

Return to Main Menu.

Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On by pressing L lower button.

From Welshgas.

Hi All,

I've owned my California for 7 Years now and, apart from the roof corrosion problems, have been relatively trouble free - until recently. After 4 months enforced inactivity, I suddenly got a "Roof Open" warning and a "pinging" sound when I started the engine. I checked the roof and it was fully closed. It did open with a bit of a struggle, but wouldn't come back down immediately. It did eventually, but now I can't get it to open at all. I am able to drive it, and have taken it on a few longish runs to see if it is a battery problem. Has anybody experienced anything similar, if so, I would be very grateful for some advice please?

RG Thomas (Cardiff)
As above. Any codes? Does it work after clearing the codes?
The Roof depends on the Leisure Batteries to operate. Are they charged.

Most on here always advocate best practise as having the engine running when operating the roof. If it is still misbehaving after that then it's over to @Vw guru !

...end stop limit switch faulty, didn't @Vw guru mention this recently, followed by a discussion on purchasing a new loom to swap the switch..

Thanks for the quick replies. I've tried resetting the control panel. A code of 1000 came up, but I couldn't clear it. There isn't a Reset/Clear notice on my control panel.

Hi @Loz yes I did mention it recently.

@Rgthomas Code 1000 relates to a short to ground fault for the roof position sensors. As previously mentioned a new roof loom would be required to rectify this fault. As the sensors are not a separate part but can be removed from the new loom and wired into the old roof loom using heat shrink connectors.

Hi @Loz yes I did mention it recently.

@Rgthomas Code 1000 relates to a short to ground fault for the roof position sensors. As previously mentioned a new roof loom would be required to rectify this fault. As the sensors are not a separate part but can be removed from the new loom and wired into the old roof loom using heat shrink connectors.

Sounds expensive. I had a new roof replaced 2 years ago with the roof corrosion problems. I don't suppose it's still under warranty?

Sounds expensive. I had a new roof replaced 2 years ago with the roof corrosion problems. I don't suppose it's still under warranty?
Genuine VW replacement parts have a 2 yr warranty - I believe. You could contact VW Customer Services and see what they say.

Unfortunately it’s not part of that repair the electrical element is a separate part and not replaced at that time.