Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof opens on M4!

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi all.
Driving home along the M4 tonight (very windy) I could hear a rush of air and feel the cold air coming from above. I pulled off the next junction and the front of the roof had raised about 4-6” on the drivers side.
I raised the roof fully and closed it again. It all worked fine and continued for another 30 miles without bother.
I’ll check it tomorrow in the light. It has sounded a bit different since I raised it last week - but looked as if it was ok.
Anyone had this before?

I had something similar.

About 5 years go, very early on in my ownership experience, leaving a campsite and aware of a noise intrusion somewhere. Then as I picked up speed it got louder. I pulled over and found that a part of the front roof canvas had been trapped and left exposed when closing. This had allowed pressure to build up against the front of the roof. I was not going at any speed so there was no "forcing" effect fortunately.

All was well after opening and closing again.

My recollection on leaving the campsite was the roof was showing as locked down. My recollection may be wrong.

I had something similar.

About 5 years go, very early on in my ownership experience, leaving a campsite and aware of a noise intrusion somewhere. Then as I picked up speed it got louder. I pulled over and found that a part of the front roof canvas had been trapped and left exposed when closing. This had allowed pressure to build up against the front of the roof. I was not going at any speed so there was no "forcing" effect fortunately.

All was well after opening and closing again.

My recollection on leaving the campsite was the roof was showing as locked down. My recollection may be wrong.
I got a sneaking feeling I probably did something similar last Sunday - checked roof but it was very windy and think a bit of canvas must have got caught. Double check in the morning. Thanks GJ.

Also possible if you leave any small items on the front lip (ie where the lamp is).....glasses case, novel, etc

On several occasions l have had it when the roof hasn't closed correctly because it is jammed on the awning bracket leaving the driver's side about 3 in up. If we had only looked from inside we would not be able to tell that it hadn't closed properly, if we driven off the wind would have got underneath!!!

On the last occasion it took two people pushing on the side while roof was going down for it to close correctly, that seems to have cured the problem now, perhaps it has realigning the elevating roof slightly. A little bit of brute force and ignorance, Perhaps I'm now qualified to get a job in a VW workshop.

Moral of the story, always walk round the vehicle and check from the outside before driving off.

On several occasions l have had it when the roof hasn't closed correctly because it is jammed on the awning bracket leaving the driver's side about 3 in up. If we had only looked from inside we would not be able to tell that it hadn't closed properly, if we driven off the wind would have got underneath!!!

On the last occasion it took two people pushing on the side while roof was going down for it to close correctly, that seems to have cured the problem now, perhaps it has realigning the elevating roof slightly. A little bit of brute force and ignorance, Perhaps I'm now qualified to get a job in a VW workshop.

Moral of the story, always walk round the vehicle and check from the outside before driving off.
As has been said before, a quick walk around before you leave ensures that the EHU is unplugged, the roof is fully down and locked, all the children's toys are picked up and so on. Ever since I've been a parent I've been doing it, saves lots of potential tears later on.

I had the same luckily it was cold outside and I felt a draught straight away. Stopped put up roof and closed it again. This time I looked inside and out to check of all was right. Now all was well! The problem was that I hadn’t checked the inside when I put the roof down and the canvas got jammed in the lowering arm which kept the front of the roof up a bit. I was very grateful that The canvas wasn’t torn or had holes in it!
Needless to say I always check inside and out when lowering the poptop!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Had a chance to have a good look today and it does appear that the canvas has been caught in some way. Not visible from inside or out or on panel last week, but dirty mark when roof raised today was giveaway.
Thanks for all your comments. All working well now and no real damage.
Cheers
Pete