Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof rattle

Les said:
c6corvette said:
Sorted . . .

I went and picked the Cali up on Friday from the VW Dealer, took her for a Test Drive drove over a few Potholes & Sunken Drain Covers and NO BANGING :D

The Report said the following:

INVESTED FOR REPORTED BANGING NOISE FROM ROOF AREA WHEN DRIVING OVER BUMPS - PADDED OUT ROOF FRAME ROLLER WITH FELT AS REQUIRED

I hope that this is of help to anybody with the same problem

c6corvette
Could provide a photo or describe where they fitted the felt on the roof frame roller and the dealer you took it to.
Thanks

Hi there

The work was carried out by Alan Day in Neasden, I can't give you a picture because I can't see what they have done, it must be hidden away somewhere ?
If you give them a call they would probably be able to help you as they said that VW was aware of the problem

Graham

Thanks Graham, the van is in at the moment for a few things, I will suggest this to them.

Found roof rattle at last!!!

In my case it was the rear struts. See photos for exact location. The rattle was a loud metal on metal sound, which is now gone after placing a few sheets of newspaper at the indicated spot. I would like to hear if this spot is the source of rattling for anyone else? It will also be interesting to hear from those who do not have a rattling roof whether there should be a rubber stopper in this region?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88458722@N05/8077682847/

Well done piet
Thanks for the pics - my previous Cali had no roof rattles in three years of ownership. My "new" Cali however suffers from the dreaded roof rattle occasionally. I investigated it a couple of months ago and found some pieces of split hose had been put around the pin, these do not fully cover the whole circumference and I put recurrence down to them rotating around when lowering the roof but wasn't sure.

Interstingly, I had not reported the fault to the dealership so these pieces (not even matching hose on either side) must have been put on by the dealers during the PDI when they possibly picked up the fault during the test drive.

You've convinced me to now get some better pieces of hose that fully encapsulate the pin.

Cheers :thanks
Hubert

Mine has the hose fix too so I can only assume it is a factory 'fix'.

Mine also has bits of hose wrapped around the front pin of the rear scissors.