roof repair procedure questions

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Welcome on board to Vicky.
If you have any questions regarding the repair procedure for the front roof panel of your Cali
Vicky should have the answers for you.

PLEASE KEEP THE QUESTIONS RELATED TO THE REPAIR PROCEDURE ONLY
Victoria is not here to answer questions about roof corrosion and its causes
Thanks kev

Re: roof repair procedure

Hi ladies & gents,

I hope you are all well and don’t mind me posting on your forum.

My name is Victoria; I work at Shorade Accident Repair Centre based in Cannock. We have been a Volkswagen Group approved body repairer for 9 years for both private and commercial vehicles and are also approved structural aluminium repairers. We additionally have manufacturer approvals for Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz and Nissan.

We have been chosen by the Volkswagen Group as one of the four Body repairers in the UK approved to carry out the warranty work concerning your VW T5 California’s.
Our technicians have received specific training to replace the front roof section of your California’s and we have now started working through the list of customers with this issue.

If you would like us to do so, we will add updates as we collate information and receive further details from VW on your forum covering booking procedures, points of contact, repair summary’s, parts availability, additional information and answer any questions you may have on the matter, or anything else.

Many thanks,

Victoria
01543 462240
www.shorade.co.uk :hello

hi Victoria,

Many thanks for joining the forum. Any updates and information you could provide will of course assist the owners.
Stu....

Hi Victoria

thanks for joining the forum. it is very thoughtful. As you can imagine there are a lot of concerned folks out here.

we are booked into shorade in the future, so we look forward to updates.

sue

Re: Roof Corrosion - Latest Updates

Hi Stu, Sue & Kevin,

Many thanks for the welcome!

Myself and the team will do our very best to answer all your questions and help with queries where we can, concerns and provide as much information as possible to help.

Many thanks,

Victoria.

Hi Vicky,

I logged into this post entitled "Roof repair procedure questions" expecting to see the roof repair procedure outlined followed by some questions on any 'grey areas' that were not covered from forum members, but that does not seem to be the case.

You are indeed very welcome to the forum, especially if you can clarify what seems to be a somewhat murky area re responsibility / warranty.

So, perhaps it is detailed somewhere else, but could I ask the obvious, what is the "roof repair procedure" please?

Rather selfishly, I'm interested in how it relates to older vehicles, I rather wish I was looking at a 2013 model and wondering if it might rust, but unfortunately instead I have a 2007 vehicle with multiple corrosion spots (I purchased it November last year - there was already corrosion present in several places at that point ).

I have subsequently photographed and posted those images on this forum. (in response to a 'round robin' email sent out by the forum).

Is my vehicle too old for VW to honour any warranty claim? If not, what should I do next?

Many Thanks

Stephen

The roof repair is done on an individual vehicle basis as stated by VW. There is no actual specific repair procedure for this issue.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your post and hope you had a great weekend.

The warranty claim we are handling relates to the current model T5 California roof system. Your roof may differ but with all possible corrosion warranty claims, always contact your local VW dealer who will be able to advise you.

Hope this helps,

Many thanks,

Vic.

sdes said:
Hi Vicky,

I logged into this post entitled "Roof repair procedure questions" expecting to see the roof repair procedure outlined followed by some questions on any 'grey areas' that were not covered from forum members, but that does not seem to be the case.

You are indeed very welcome to the forum, especially if you can clarify what seems to be a somewhat murky area re responsibility / warranty.

So, perhaps it is detailed somewhere else, but could I ask the obvious, what is the "roof repair procedure" please?

Rather selfishly, I'm interested in how it relates to older vehicles, I rather wish I was looking at a 2013 model and wondering if it might rust, but unfortunately instead I have a 2007 vehicle with multiple corrosion spots (I purchased it November last year - there was already corrosion present in several places at that point ).

I have subsequently photographed and posted those images on this forum. (in response to a 'round robin' email sent out by the forum).

Is my vehicle too old for VW to honour any warranty claim? If not, what should I do next?

Many Thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The current repair is only for vehicles that are less than 6 years old and the repair request would need to have been logged with Volkswagen and approved before the vehicle was 6 years old for the repair to be carried out.

Thanks

Hi Victoria.

My Cali is booked into Shorade and has roof corrosion on both the front panel and in a number of places on the actual roof itself. The corrosion on the roof is actually more worrying to me as it starts where the roof seal touches the roof and then bubbles upwards - so in all likelihood this corrosion will appear along the entire perimeter of the roof within a couple of years

This is obviously of great concern to owners as our vehicles are so new - mine was displaying corrosion issues in the first year, and it lives in a garage and has only done 14k miles

Could you please tell us what Shorade is doing to deal with these two issues (front panel, and main roof). I am looking for some comfort that this repair will actually fix this problem properly. If it is just a case of scraping off paint, removing corrosion and touching it up - the problem will simply return in a year or so's time.

Thank you

as both a VW bus magazine editor and an owner of a Cali I would be very interested in knowing a bit more about what actually happens or is done for the corrosion repairs ...mine is down to go to Shorade and on the ever growing list! Its actually refreshing to see Shorade posting on here about the problem and adds to my confidence that its going to be done properly....

Hi Gatvol & David,

Many thanks for your comments, we're very happy to help where we can.

Gatvol; I approached the MD with your questions as he is aware of all of the technical aspects in detail.

His response was as follows, hope this helps:
“The replacement of the RCBR unit is a straight forward replacement, which takes 5 days to complete and we are working through the list of customers we have been given by Volkswagen so please be patient as we have a lot to get through.
The corrosion around the edge of the roof panel is a separate issue, if this is to be done at the same time as the RCBR unit replacement ( which makes a lot of sense as its already removed ) you will need to register the issue with your preferred Volkswagen dealer. Once authorized the parts kit can then be sent out at the same time and we will do the two jobs together.

With regards to your concern on the roof itself, the corrosion is caused by the metal braid within the aperture seal rubbing against the lip of the roof panel – possibly caused by vibration or pressure over a period of time and wear of the seal. The fix for the corrosion is straight forward as its fully removed, the panel is then coated in a high content zinc primer followed by a two pack primer before the roof is repainted. A new seal is provided along with a modification process.

Together with Volkswagen, we are doing everything we can to ensure this issue doesn’t happen again.

Once you have had your roof corrosion treated there are a few things you can do to maintain the performance of the new seal fitted. As the seal is inverted, water will naturally sit along the top edge so whenever possible try and keep the seal edge dry and free from debris. When cleaning your California make sure wax is applied to the roof panel , this will assist water running off the roof panel more easily. Secondly keep the new seal in good condition by cleaning with a trim and rubber cleaner. The seal is a perishable component so make sure you check it regularly.

Hope this helps with you concerns, when we have your California in for the repairs we will be more than happy to discuss in more depth what we do and why.”

As he's mentioned when you bring your vehicle in please feel free to ask our Damage Assessors questions or go through any concerns you have then as well.

Many thanks,

Victoria.

Hi Victoria and welcome.

Excellent response, clear, comprehensive and with some good advice for future reference included.

Top service.

Your attention is much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you kindly, have a great weekend!

Thanks Victoria. Very helpful.

My suggestion to all owners is that they have a good look round their elevating roof - where the seal meets the metal, to give themselves the best chance of having both jobs done at once.

I personally think that this repair ought to be automatically made to the main body of the roof. As a betting man I would imagine some folk being hit with two trips to sort this, which would be a shame. My garaged van has several spots that are bubbling and I would guess that we have spent less than 60 nights in it and covered only 14k miles. To me this is clearly a systematic problem that will almost certainly affect all vehicles produced with the defective seals.

Has Shorade put in place procedures (ie arrange for inspection from local VW garage of relevant vehicles received) so that any detected but not yet authorised main roof repairs can happen at the same time as the front panel if you happen to spot that this needs doing ? I know that you bodyshop guys are much better at spotting paint defects than members of the public.

So a new type of roof seal is provided for the elevating roof that has this corrosion problem. Does that not mean that VW have recognised that there is a design problem with this seal?
Also does this mean that new Californias have the new seal and should not suffer this problem in future?

Hi there Victoria

You say "A new seal is provided along with a modification process" is this a new seal of the old type already fitted or is it a new type (design) of seal and what is the "modification process"?

This is the sort of information that people who have invested eye watering amounts of hard earned money need to know, thank you for taking the time to keep us informed and I mean no disrespect to you but surely VW THEMSELVES should be keeping us up to date.

Keep up the good work Victoria.

So far as I am aware when the seal around the elevating section is replaced it is replaced with one of the same type as previously. I have checked and cannot see that there is a modified or revised part.

So does that not mean that as the repair process is " Different " to the original that a problem has been identified and a fix put in place?
Legal advice would seem to indicate that this is an acceptance of liability!
If that is the case then the question is " How long should this acceptance of liability be in existence, 3 - 6 or 12 years from manufacture? "

WelshGas said:
So does that not mean that as the repair process is " Different " to the original that a problem has been identified and a fix put in place?
Legal advice would seem to indicate that this is an acceptance of liability!
If that is the case then the question is " How long should this acceptance of liability be in existence, 3 - 6 or 12 years from manufacture? "

It would if the repair procedure has been set out by VW, but it has not. The repair is done on a per vehicle basis with what ever each vehicle requires.

Hi there
Can people who have had their elevating roof section repaired try a magnet on the seal to see if it is magnetic.
If after repair it is still magnetic then I fear the corrosion problem will reappear as there are still the 3 ingredients required for galvanic corrosion, 2 different metals and an electrolyte - water(often salty). :headbang

snowy55 said:
Hi there
Can people who have had their elevating roof section repaired try a magnet on the seal to see if it is magnetic.
If after repair it is still magnetic then I fear the corrosion problem will reappear as there are still the 3 ingredients required for galvanic corrosion, 2 different metals and an electrolyte - water(often salty). :headbang
They are using a zinc primer which should help prevent it corroding agaiin. The same seal is used.

Hi ladies & gents,

I hope you are well.

As mentioned each claim is assessed individually, whilst your vehicle is being repaired with us you will receive updates specifically for the repair and rectification of your vehicle where we will be able to go through the repairs in a lot more detail. As this is an open forum, publishing specific repair procedures may result in non VW approved repairers attempting to complete repairs incorrectly which we would like to discourage.

Gatvol: We will check your vehicle when it arrives, however if further warranty work is needed it does delay the repair while this is authorised. The best process is for your local Van Centre to put in the warranty claim and get it approved before it comes into us, as delays to one job can push other repairs back.

Welshgas & Snowy55: I can assure everyone that we will take the very best care of your vehicle, following the latest repair instructions from Volkswagen and using the latest genuine parts. Again, as this is an open forum, publishing specifics is not something we would like to do. If you have concerns about anything at all, your local Van Centre will be able to help, or the Volkswagen customer care team.

Stu: The seal will be replaced

Californiaman: Great article! Zinc is one of the main properties that reduces corrosion

Welshgas & Andy: Andy you are correct each vehicle is repaired on a vehicle by vehicle basis.

Shorade are an independent company that are approved to repair and carry out bodywork on Volkswagens, for any questions regarding Volkswagen’s own guidelines, warranty structure etc please contact your local Volkswagen centre directly.

As mentioned previously the repairs that we will carry out on your vehicles are straightforward repairs and there should be no reason why they should reoccur in the future, whilst your vehicle is with us we will do the utmost to answer your specific concerns after seeing each of your vehicles.

Many thanks,

Victoria.

Shorade said:
Stu: The seal will be replaced

Many thanks,

Victoria.

Hi Victoria,

It was never in doubt that a new seal would be fitted.

The question was really more to do with the same seal as in the same part number etc or a revised part. I am not aware that there is a revised part in existence as VW are still not accepting that there is an issue with the elevating roof.

Back