Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

roof repair procedure questions

Thank you for your reply and keeping us up to date with what is happening :clap :clap

Hi Victoria,

would you be able to comment on how many roof repairs have been carried out at Shorade. I have learnt today that my position inline for repair has gone down and not up. Many of us have concerns as to the time scale it will take to rectify all of roof repair issues.

Kind Regards

I have just spoken to Katy from Shorade and am the third Cali booked in. ChArLIe goes in for the operation on 22 September and will be away for a fortnight. I will drive over to get the replacement and will let you all know how things go.

But a very friendly and positive call,

Andrew M

Good afternoon ladies & gents,

I hope you are well,

If you are on the waiting list to have your California’s repaired at Shorade and have any queries please contact the team on 01543 462240 and we’ll be more than happy to answer any questions.

Many thanks,

Victoria and the team at Shorade.

Hi Victoria

am I right in thinking that the cali will be picked up and recovered to your workshop and delivered back at the end of the job?

thanks sue

sue.h said:
Hi Victoria

am I right in thinking that the cali will be picked up and recovered to your workshop and delivered back at the end of the job?

thanks sue

That's how it should work Sue. Ours was done by the AA.

Well I just spoke to someone at Shorade and I am number 71 on the list and they are doing two per month so I am looking at 3 and a half years before the work can be done. Surely after spending £45k on a vehicle there should be a better service than this.

Tattooz said:
Well I just spoke to someone at Shorade and I am number 71 on the list and they are doing two per month so I am looking at 3 and a half years before the work can be done. Surely after spending £45k on a vehicle there should be a better service than this.

It is a crazy situation and I don't know what to suggest I am afraid.

Stu said:
Tattooz said:

It is a crazy situation and I don't know what to suggest I am afraid.

You are lucky to be getting it done, think of us who have vans >6 years +

John :headbang

This whole situation is shambolic to put it very midly.

Having to wait years for the repair will give the corrosion a strong foothold by which time any respray no matter what primer is used is likely to fail and the only answer will be a replacement roof.

Are VW hoping this will get them outside the 6 year limit and they can wash their hands of us?

We must press them for an adequate length of warranty AFTER any repairs have been carried out.

snowy55 said:
This whole situation is shambolic to put it very midly.

Are VW hoping this will get them outside the 6 year limit and they can wash their hands of us?

We must press them for an adequate length of warranty AFTER any repairs have been carried out.

I can't disagree with that!!

If the claim is registered it will not expire regardless of the van passing the 6 year mark.

We have asked for a further extension to the current offer and Graham will discuss this when he meets with VW + Milton Keynes.

Yes we need to press them for decent length warranty, at least 6 years, after repair for there to be any confidence in the future value of these vehicles.

But of course VW have had their money, they're not interested in what we get when we sell them.

How do we find out where we are on the list? I registered the issue with local van centre, who took photos, and have heard nothing since. :sad

Once the claim is accepted you should receive a letter, best way to find out where you are in the queue is to call the bodyshop direct.

Martin, I have received a letter from VWCS stating the claim is accepted but do not know what bodyshop has been allocated.
I have mailed VWCS once a week for three weeks and they still cannot tell me what bodyshop has been allocated.

Getting boring!

Re: roof repair procedure

Hi ladies & gents,

I hope you are all well and don’t mind me posting on your forum.

My name is Victoria; I work at Shorade Accident Repair Centre based in Cannock. We have been a Volkswagen Group approved body repairer for 9 years for both private and commercial vehicles and are also approved structural aluminium repairers. We additionally have manufacturer approvals for Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz and Nissan.

We have been chosen by the Volkswagen Group as one of the four Body repairers in the UK approved to carry out the warranty work concerning your VW T5 California’s.
Our technicians have received specific training to replace the front roof section of your California’s and we have now started working through the list of customers with this issue.

If you would like us to do so, we will add updates as we collate information and receive further details from VW on your forum covering booking procedures, points of contact, repair summary’s, parts availability, additional information and answer any questions you may have on the matter, or anything else.

Many thanks,

Victoria
01543 462240
www.shorade.co.uk :hello

Re: roof repair procedure

Hi ladies & gents,

I hope you are all well and don’t mind me posting on your forum.

My name is Victoria; I work at Shorade Accident Repair Centre based in Cannock. We have been a Volkswagen Group approved body repairer for 9 years for both private and commercial vehicles and are also approved structural aluminium repairers. We additionally have manufacturer approvals for Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz and Nissan.

We have been chosen by the Volkswagen Group as one of the four Body repairers in the UK approved to carry out the warranty work concerning your VW T5 California’s.
Our technicians have received specific training to replace the front roof section of your California’s and we have now started working through the list of customers with this issue.

If you would like us to do so, we will add updates as we collate information and receive further details from VW on your forum covering booking procedures, points of contact, repair summary’s, parts availability, additional information and answer any questions you may have on the matter, or anything else.

Many thanks,

Victoria
01543 462240
www.shorade.co.uk :hello
Hi Please can you confirm if you are aware if the warranty repair is transferable to a new owner
also the corrosion issue thats appears on the aluminium roofs and or front section i have read a zinc primmer is used as part of the repair is this correct ?
if so i am guessing correctly the roof isn't replaced ? as part of the repair
just corrosion on any metal once it starts especially aluminium will find its way through to the surface again just i almost purchased a california that had the roof repair not by your selves and 12 months later had to be repaired again as it had corrosion & leaking issues again the second repair was carried out recently by your selves.. if you could help with the repair questions i have it would be greatly be appreciated

many regards.

The Roof repair warranty is transferable to the new owner, the new keeper will need to go into a dealer with the V5 and some ID to have the address changed on the database.

Also if the seller does not have a letter from VW to confirm their claim was accepted, I would call VWCS to check check it is in their system.

In answer to your other question, the front panel is replaced and the main elevating roof is just repaired/resprayed

Hi Many thanks for the fast reply
I am know not so sure on owning a California
as there is no cure for corrosion no matter what its treated with
as it will make its way back through to the surface over time any experience painter will confirm this

many thanks again for the fast reply appreciated..

On a different thread please can I have advise/experience of the following. In 2013 my 2010 California roof was repaired by my local van service centre due to the corrosion issue we all know about. The repair was completed in five weeks and to a very poor standard. I had my doubts about the repair and possible water ingress when I collected it after repair. In 2014,ten months later a water leak was discovered by another VW van centre as the original repairing dealer had ceased being a service centre. VW UK undertook a full repair at no cost to me but I lost my vehicle for 16 weeks whilst VW UK were setting up the 4 repair centres. The VW car dealer who carried out the original repair that subsequently leaked have denied responsibility stating that they carried out the repair to VWs instructions at the time. Has anyone had a similar experience where their van was repaired then leaked, and what was the outcome please.

Back