Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Toppers comparison

I bought a back cali topper and then after fitting a roof book I very carefully cut out the a section of the top so that I could fit the topper whilst living the roof box in place. It works fine as 99% of the benefit of the cali topper is the way it keep rain and wind off the sides of the raised roof. it is very effective at doing this regardless of whether you have one that covers the top or one that has the the middle section cut out to allow a roof box. The only thing is that the older I get the lazier so I splurged a shedload of money on an isotop (stays in place on the inside of the roof space) and therefore don't use my cali topper anymore. If you (or anybody else) decide you want to get a cali topper and want one for less than half price then let me know, it in excellent conditions only used it on three trips before the laziness really set in. I am in East Hertfordshire :)

In my case we have 2 7 yo who sleep/play/chill up top. When it's peeing down its nice we they can open the windows for ventilation and to see whats happening without the rain getting in. That's one advantage for us.

Having found out that the IsoTop is waterproof, I fail to see the advantage of an external apart from stopping the bellows getting wet and prevents snow build up. Much akin to putting an event shelter over a tent

I fail to see the advantage of an external apart from stopping the bellows getting wet
That is the main advantage, very helpful if you can't leave the roof up on your Cali to dry out after your trip. Easier to give the topper a quick shake and wipe down than dry out very wet bellows.
I have both, started with an external topper which we used a lot but since fitting an internal topper we no longer use it. I would however still take it and use it on a trip if the weather forecast was very bad.

IsopTop bought from club shop. Bl00dy expensive at £427.73 but cheaper than anywhere else.

........ Now let's hope it lives up to the hype and cost

N
IsopTop bought from club shop. Bl00dy expensive at £427.73 but cheaper than anywhere else.

........ Now let's hope it lives up to the hype and cost
Now you need to wait for warmer temperatures so the Velcro sticks properly! :D

This has been very helpful. We'll probably be driving off in the Cali every day somewhere even if we're staying at a site for a few days, and taking the external topper off and on seems quite a hassle (may not be in truth, just feel it might be). As well as putting it up when we arrive in the wet.

With the isotop, the bellows get wet and have to be dried out. If we have a space at home to do that, that's all that's needed, am I correct? And if it rains non-stop for 3 days let's say, we can drive around with the bellows wet and packed away, up again in the evening, down again next morning, etc, then dry out when it stops raining when we get home (outside, not in a garage)?

With the isotop, the bellows get wet and have to be dried out. If we have a space at home to do that, that's all that's needed, am I correct? And if it rains non-stop for 3 days let's say, we can drive around with the bellows wet and packed away, up again in the evening, down again next morning, etc, then dry out when it stops raining when we get home (outside, not in a garage)?

That is indeed correct. For us the "inconvenience" of drying it out after a few days whether in the street or garage far outweighs the put-on-take-off-pack-away-repeat-until-done irksome scenario.

Having watched it first hand, my mind was well and truly made up!

I am looking for one my self.
What is your thoughts on-http://shop.darenpucerscreens.co.uk
They look like they would not absorb anything and would just need a shake down if wet?
Does anybody know if that’s correct?
Yes I will order from him when I go back to my car this summer, because it’s important to measure the pop tent since they have different sizes.

Tthe isotop fits internally and gives great insulation it can be left in place with the roof down it is also waterproof so if your canvas gets wet you can close the roof without fear of getting the mattress wet.
if the canvas gets wet you will need to raise the roof once it has stopped raining to dry it out. obviously the calitopper will keep your canvas dry but when you turn up to a campsite try putting on a roof cover in wind and rain.
Hi All, as a cheaper Isotop alternative has anyone used these?

yes i bought one sold it and bought the Brandrup its cheaper for a reason that being it doesn't fit that well and its made of cheaper material. unless they have changed it as it was about 7 years ago

Also doesn't have the opening front window.