Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rotherhithe Tunnel

I’ve walked through it twice and cycled through about a dozen times.

It is not a pleasant experience, but at least by bike it is over in about 5 minutes.

The air is hot and thick with car fumes as the ventilation is so poor and it is a relief when you reach the fresh air at the other end.

Although vehicles are restricted to 20mph and the footway relatively wide, you need to walk close to the carriageway due to the curvature of the tunnel and cars are close to the kerb because of the restricted width of the two-way carriageway; this combines to give you a feeling of vulnerability to the cars which feel as if they are travelling far faster than their actual speed.

Walking through the tunnel is an experience that you will remember, but not a particularly pleasant experience. Despite it linking an area of high population density (Southwark) with an area of high employment (Limehouse and Canary Wharf) only ~20 by foot and ~150 by bicycle pass through the tunnel daily.

In contrast, the proposed Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf footbridge would take tens of thousands on a carbon neutral commute.

The Rotherhithe Tunnel is the only cycleable crossing of the Thames downstream of Tower Bridge.
The Woolwich ferry could be classed as a cyclable route but seems to be closed more than open at present. I have taken my bike on the Emirates Air Line but you have to pay for that.

The Woolwich ferry could be classed as a cyclable route but seems to be closed more than open at present. I have taken my bike on the Emirates Air Line but you have to pay for that.

If the Woolwich Ferry is a cycleable crossing of the Thames, is the Plymouth to Santander ferry a cycleable crossing of the English Channel?

If the Woolwich Ferry is a cycleable crossing of the Thames, is the Plymouth to Santander ferry a cycleable crossing of the English Channel?
Maybe but you stay with your bike the whole time on the Woolwich ferry and do not have an opportunity for a gin and tonic or get to see dolphins.

Maybe but you stay with your bike the whole time on the Woolwich ferry and do not have an opportunity for a gin and tonic or get to see dolphins.
I do love crossing the Thames on the Woolwich Ferry by bike, and also using the Foot Tunnel below.

Here are Ben and Jack posing for a World Book Day photo on a “there” via the Woolwich Ferry and “back” via the foot tunnel cycle ride.

D11FD1D4-F004-46BE-97BE-8ACF1A07D92F.jpeg

Just went through Rotherhithe in Cali today. All the signage was <2meteres high or wide. Couldn’t see any mention of weight etc. Will have to wait and see.

Just went through Rotherhithe in Cali today. All the signage was

The prohibition sign is this:
d2800dd80948bf59ef66d370818fab5d.jpg

No commercial vehicles over 2 tonnes.

M1 on your V5 is fine.
N1 (over 2t) is not.

Converted builder’s vans will be N1, and so are, I think, a batch of Californias.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The prohibition sign is this:
d2800dd80948bf59ef66d370818fab5d.jpg

No commercial vehicles over 2 tonnes.

M1 on your V5 is fine.
N1 (over 2t) is not.

Converted builder’s vans will be N1, and so are, I think, a batch of Californias.
[/QUOTE]
Just this on V5. Can’t see M1 or N1. Just PLG!?42FEE860-8ACA-4D4C-BFA4-0E0DB536FDC6.jpeg

How do I get home from Norfolk to Lambeth without going through the Rotherhithe tunnel??
Really?

How do I get home from Norfolk to Lambeth without going through the Rotherhithe tunnel??
Really?
Is the Dartford crossing closed? Is the Woolwich ferry not working? Is Blackwell tunnel closed ? Is Tower bridge open for boats not cars? all possibilities. My husband experienced 3 of those one Sunday.

Is the Dartford crossing closed? Is the Woolwich ferry not working? Is Blackwell tunnel closed ? Is Tower bridge open for boats not cars? all possibilities. My husband experienced 3 of those one Sunday.
I got a fine last time I went over Dartford! Although oddly they let me off.
I’m thinking of Tower Bridge but need to be careful of Congestion Charge. Already paying ULEZ.
Woolwich ferry is fab but slow. Can I take a 2.5 tonne Cali on that!?

I’m thinking of Tower Bridge but need to be careful of Congestion Charge. Already paying ULEZ.
latest TFL update on Woolwich ferry "WOOLWICH FERRY: No service from Friday 15 April until Monday 18 April inclusive due to crew availability. Service resumes 07:00 on Tuesday 19 April."

Woolwich ferry is outside the ULEZ.

Vehicle restrictions are height 4.7m and width 3.5m, and no vehicles with hazchem signs.

The service has gone from poor to diabolical.

Before the Marchioness disaster in 1989 they used to run a three boat service Monday to Saturday which meant you never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a boat. Now you are lucky if more than one boat is running.

God bless the Blackwall tunnel!

My query has been escalated.

Dear Mr Crispin
Thanks for your further email.
I've passed your correspondence to our Asset Investment team and I'll let you know an update as soon as I hear back from the team.
Thanks again for contacting us and please let me know if you need anything else.
Kind regards
Maria La Tegola
Customer Service Adviser

I do not know if I am on some sort of priority list with TfL, but I do find that I get informed responses from them when I press them on various issues.
Just to confirm, did you not receive a penalty yet?

How long has it been since you drove through now?

I went through on Thursday evening.

Just been fined £160 for driving through the Rotherhithe Tunnel. I saw the height restriction but missed anything else, and am not aware of another road where the California is restricted but eg a Range Rover isn't, and was in heavy traffic, so I breathed in and squeezed through the tunnel.

Contravention: Failing to comply with a prohibition on certain types of vehicle: Goods vehicles exceeding mass gross weight indicated.

The website states:
Vehicles are not safe to travel through the Rotherhithe Tunnel if they are:
  • More than 2 metres (6.5 feet) high OR
  • More than 2 metres (6.5 feet) wide OR
  • Goods vehicles weighing more than 2 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW)
Drivers of these vehicles could be fined up to £160 for every journey they make through the tunnel.

I'm going to appeal on the basis the California is not a goods vehicle. I have little hope of winning, but then I know I can't use that tunnel again for sure.
Appeal rejected but allowed to pay £80 when I spoke to TfL. N categorisation on V5C = Goods vehicle and it’s over 2 tonnes

I never received a penalty. My V5 states M1. It seems to be that the only people with a problem are those who have N1 on their V5.
I went through on the 14th, so two weeks tomorrow. Hopefully I’m in the clear. I hope so. Living quite near it, it’s the obvious route to two airports and Norfolk, which we’ve taken a liking to.

I can’t see a M1 or N1 on my V5. Just Private Light Goods. I presume “Private” is the important bit.
81C462F0-110B-4F5F-B985-24E06EFCEB39.jpeg

I went through on the 14th, so two weeks tomorrow. Hopefully I’m in the clear. I hope so. Living quite near it, it’s the obvious route to two airports and Norfolk, which we’ve taken a liking to.

I can’t see a M1 or N1 on my V5. Just Private Light Goods. I presume “Private” is the important bit.
View attachment 92409
E6C636B8-E0F8-42FD-8DDE-DA248CA81437.jpeg
Same as mine.
I can’t see N1 or M1 on mine either
Fingers crossed you’re lucky

View attachment 92467

Interesting ... as mine is a 4MO and the type is M1 and Taxation Class is a diesel car.
I see now where it should say N1 - mine is blank. But it does say it’s a Private Light Goods Vehicle not a diesel car, and the restriction is for goods vehicles over 2 tonnes.
How old is your Ocean?
I wonder if all campers now (not Beach Tours which pay much more road tax) will be registered as PLG‘s?

Last edited:
I see now where it should say N1 - mine is blank. But it does say it’s a Private Light Goods Vehicle not a diesel car, and the restriction is for goods vehicles over 3 tonnes.
How old is your Ocean?
I wonder if all campers now (not Beach Tours which pay much more road tax) will be registered as PLG‘s?
Yes, they are. Advantages are lower Road Tax, Disadvantages - you've just found one. Any Toll system that has differential rates for Car & Commercial vehicles may charge more.

It is a 67 reg - coming up to ~4.5 years.
Looks like you can take it through as you please, whereas @Lambeth Cali and I will need to be lucky to avoid a £160 fine (£240 if paid late).
Oddly when I called up to see if my appeal had been determined (it had been rejected but I hadn’t received a letter, so I’m glad I called) the lady asked me to pay £80… but still not worth not using Tower Bridge or Blackwall or Dartford …

Looks like you can take it through as you please, whereas @Lambeth Cali and I will need to be lucky to avoid a £160 fine (£240 if paid late).
Oddly when I called up to see if my appeal had been determined (it had been rejected but I hadn’t received a letter, so I’m glad I called) the lady asked me to pay £80… but still not worth not using Tower Bridge or Blackwall or Dartford …
I’m hoping my “Motor Caravan and Private/Light Goods” is all ok.

Back