Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rotherhithe Tunnel

6A08CD00-C039-4B2F-9F3B-5830578A240D.jpeg
933F06AA-A1E1-4743-A124-797C6B63E029.jpeg
The relevant part of the letter rejecting my appeal - it is a goods vehicle over 2 tonnes.
I wonder if there’s a way of updating the on board sat nav, Google maps etc to never use Rotherhithe Tunnel.

Last edited:
As an aside, interesting to note some are 5 seaters (mine included) and others 4. Yet they are all SE / Ocean variants.

View attachment 92670
View attachment 92675
The relevant part of the letter rejecting my appeal - it is a goods vehicle over 2 tonnes.
I wonder if there’s a way of updating the on board sat nav, Google maps etc to never use Rotherhithe Tunnel.
I tried to do that on Waze. There is a list in settings of things you can avoid. Unfortunately Rotherhithe Tunnel isn’t one of them. You can fill out a form to ask them to add it but I kind of lost the will to live whilst doing it.

I wonder if it’s possible using Google maps?

I think you can deliberately say “via Blackwall Tunnel” on Waze. Blackwall being the obvious alternative for me. I’ll check.

Last edited:
View attachment 92670
View attachment 92675
I just looked mine up on the website written in bold on your letter

and found this

BF3766F5-5757-4E06-8E3C-6852A3D401BD.png

Doesn’t seem to have a Revenue Weight online. Vehicle Type Approval is where it should say N1 N2 N3 etc. and that’s blank too.
I wonder if that’s why I haven’t got a ticket (yet).

What does yours show?

Last edited:
Maybe because my 2008 van is a lot older?

The DVLA are pretty hopeless. 2014 is when paper tax discs were scrapped and presumably someone transferred everything online. I guess this wasn’t done very carefully. They don’t seem to know much about my van apart from it’s beige and taxed!!

What relevance are the different vehicle types? Mine say M1 (2017 plate)

What relevance are the different vehicle types? Mine say M1 (2017 plate)
Just check online and I have a passenger vehicle with no more than 8 seats. I’m heading through the tunnel next week, so should be OK

Just check online and I have a passenger vehicle with no more than 8 seats. I’m heading through the tunnel next week, so should be OK
Yes yours is a passenger vehicle so you pay more road tax but can drive through the tunnel.
New Californias registered as private light goods vehicles should avoid Rotherhithe Tunnel

Aha! This from VW this morning. So mine WILL BE an M1 passenger car NOT an N1 PLG.

Good result. You will still be PLG
PLG is a tax class which is Private OR Light Goods.

M1 / N1 is what dictates car / Goods vehicle.

Next step, a nice letter to TFL to tell them they are wrong?

Good result. You will still be PLG
PLG is a tax class which is Private OR Light Goods.

M1 / N1 is what dictates car / Goods vehicle.

Next step, a nice letter to TFL to tell them they are wrong?
Thanks. But does the motorhome categorisation mean more vehicle tax, as it is over £40,000? https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables
I think I'll start with VW, as it was their mistake really. I put my chances of success at zero, but then I can approach TfL and plead that I've been the innocent victim of a bureaucratic blunder.

You are looking at the wrong tax table - you should be looking up Motorhomes its £295 per year

Whether your tax will change depends on what it is currently charged at?

If your van was first registered in Nov 2021 which I think it was from the info you provided above, the over £40k extra tax had been abolished FOR MOTORHOMES by then.

JCB do not know what they are talking about - it does not apply to all vehicles.

Last edited:
The article you've linked to covers it - read Motorhomes registered after March 12 2020 - tax rate is a bit out of date as we've had a few budgets since then.

Also if you look up tax rates on the .Gov site it gives current rates for Motor homes but adds:

"If your motorhome was registered between 1 April 2017 and 11 March 2020
You’ll pay a different rate of tax.........."

Yours was registered after that cut off date so just the standard rate applies.

Just avoid it all at once, I got a PCN letter today. No rotherhithe tunnel for California.

Back