Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Route 66

A container is also 238cm high, the T6 is 199cm high with 19cm clearance below. You could raise it on planks giving sufficient access below for lashing.
Oooo, I like that.. good thinking!

I have no concerns about lashing the rear of the vehicle, just the front quarters, but some of the loaders seem to be able to squeeze into the smallest of spaces. Raising it up by 20cm would give enough clearance for someone to wiggle underneath... :)

Going back to the route - when I was riding a bike then a trike, I always wanted to drive the 469 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway, though I'd have wanted a couple of months to do it with all the side trips and camping and meeting up with American bikers (I was on an American Motorcycle Tourers forum at the time). I hadn't counted on arthritis cutting short my riding life.

Have a look, you might want to do a bit of it...

https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

Last edited:
I remember meeting a lovely couple with their Cali at the Cirencester Forum meet a couple if years ago who had shipped their Cali over to the US. If you do a forum search you are bound to find them! Very envious.
Zebedee

We drove the Shenandoah section of the Blue Ridge Parkway - 0 to 104 mp a few years back. It is stunning but the the scale is something we brits are not used to. The view was basically the same for 100 miles - trees! We then had a few nights in a cabin on the Shenandoah River though - which was amazing.

The Parkway is worth doing but it runs North South so of limited use on an east - west trip ;)

Sorry, haven't any info on Route 66 (much as I'd love to do it) but wondered how you're thinking of shipping as we had considered a US visit? I thought a Cali was too big for a 20' container, meaning RO-RO would be the only option. We shipped a Landy in a container before but that went in no problem.

California will go in a 20ft container - I shipped mine to NZ. Not all shipping companies will do it though, Anglo Pacific let me down a few days before mine was due to be shipped.

Company to go to is First Base - http://www.shipcars.co.uk/ talk to Joanna. Rates have gone up a bit since the pound took a nosedive following Brexit vote.

Andy

Hi has anyone thought about doing Route 66? I am thinking of taking my Cali to the USA for around 3 months. Shipping costs are around £2k. Any information on sites etc
I would rather take Highway 90 than Route 66. I would begin West heading East, with 2 deviations. Dock in San Francisco and head for the Yosemite National Park, then onto Yellowstone picking up on Highway 90 and staying on it until Albany, then swing up to Vernon / New Hampshire for the fall foliage. Then whatever port on the east coasto to sail back to the UK.

I would rather take Highway 90 than Route 66. I would begin West heading East, with 2 deviations. Dock in San Francisco and head for the Yosemite National Park, then onto Yellowstone picking up on Highway 90 and staying on it until Albany, then swing up to Vernon / New Hampshire for the fall foliage. Then whatever port on the east coasto to sail back to the UK.
Make that Vermont. And don't forget the Grand Tetons before heading into the Yellowstone and before exiting Wyoming into Rapid City, South Dakota (Dances with Wolves filmed in and around here), head a bit north to see Devils Tower (Encounters of the 3rd Kind). Most of this journey needs to be finished by 1 November due to upcoming winter conditions.

What a fantastic experience, I came up against so many issues about shipping I gave up. I didn’t fancy putting my Cali in a container
Have a fantastic time

I was about to warn you that I have shipped many US Muscle cars into the UK in containers and about 50% where damaged in some way and nearly always when being unpacked! I have attended as many unpacking as I can and the problem is the unloaders simply do not care. The inside of the container is framed with wooden planks and joists to stop anything moving and they just get in there and start smashing it out with small sledge hammers. I had a new Black Mustang GT350 being taken out WHILE I WATCHED and they managed to drop and large block onto the roof and put a large dent into it and US roofs are non-reflective and are not easy to fix!!! Once tied down in a Row Row I would think your pretty safe unless it sinks.

I have done US -101 from Seattle to Mexico border (Known as Route 1 in Cali - I love the Carmel to LA Bit) and a New England Circular Route plus Boston to Buffalo, Miami to Key West, West Cost Florida and a few others and love driving in the USA. I understand Route 66 is pretty boring and takes for ever.

I was about to warn you that I have shipped many US Muscle cars into the UK in containers and about 50% where damaged in some way and nearly always when being unpacked! I have attended as many unpacking as I can and the problem is the unloaders simply do not care. The inside of the container is framed with wooden planks and joists to stop anything moving and they just get in there and start smashing it out with small sledge hammers. I had a new Black Mustang GT350 being taken out WHILE I WATCHED and they managed to drop and large block onto the roof and put a large dent into it and US roofs are non-reflective and are not easy to fix!!! Once tied down in a Row Row I would think your pretty safe unless it sinks.

Again I have been warned about Ro Ro’s apparently a lot of vehicle’s are broken into. As you must know the shipping cost doesn’t include insurance and on a £60k 2% is quite an extra expense

Back