Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Run flat tyres?

What’s your model Andy?
Mines a 2015 T6 Cali Ocean
2020 T6.1 199 Ocean so would expect roughly the same weight & performance as yours

As I said before the rating seems to have changed to tyres that are Ultra Low Rolling resistance from just Low Rolling Resistance (emission level) which will have narrowed the availability of tyre Brands on the open Market.

Obviously (or not) any speed rating from H to W can be used with a minimum load rating of 103.

Obviously (or not) any speed rating from H to W can be used with a minimum load rating of 103.

I would qualify that, the tyres fitted should be in line with the B post sticker as a minimum.

For 17" 235/55 tyres I would agree with you.

But for the OP if 215/60 tyres are fitted they need to be at least 104 load rated, if 18" tyres fitted they need at least a "W" speed rating.

I would qualify that, the tyres fitted should be in line with the B post sticker as a minimum.

For 17" 235/55 tyres I would agree with you.

But for the OP if 215/60 tyres are fitted they need to be at least 104 load rated, if 18" tyres fitted they need at least a "W" speed rating.
Why would a 215 need a higher load rating than any other tyre and a 18" need a W rating. No winter tyre H rating possible in your spec 18"?

Thats a question for a tyre expert / VW but I don't suppose they put a spec on the van just for fun.

I wouldn't want to be explaining to my insurers why my tyres don't have the ratings shown by VW.

Thats a question for a tyre expert / VW but I don't suppose they put a spec on the van just for fun.

I wouldn't want to be explaining to my insurers why my tyres don't have the ratings shown by VW.
The sticker merely shows what is fitted by the Factory and related tyre pressures.
In some Countries (Germany for one) you can't simply change tyre spec from that sticker without going through official channels. UK you can within the vehicle weight and speed requirements.

load rating must be at a minimum capacity to suit the vehicle.

VW fit 215/60/17 tyres now to Cali's. These are available in 96, 100, 104 & 109 load ratings, 96 & 100 are too low hence 104 & 109 being fitted.

255/45/18 are available in 99 (not suitable) and 103 load ratings in H,V,W & Y speed ratings all
suitable.

VW Dealers will supply and fit 102 load rated tyres to a T30 which is the base for a Cali.

Insurance will specify that the tyre speed and load rating must comply with vehicle weight (grosse) and speed capability. Basically if both the Police and more specifically the DVSA checked & found that the tyres are within the vehicle load and speed requirements the Insurance will have no issue.

The only truth, in the CE, is what is written on the "certificate of conformity" issued by VW and which must accompany the vehicle. See points 35 and 52.
I assume you have the same in Great Britain. The sticker on the pillar is just a reminder.

20200909_100027.jpg

20200710_191155.jpg

Last edited:
The only truth is what is written on the "certificate of conformity" issued by VW and which must accompany the vehicle. See points 35 and 52.
I assume you have the same in Great Britain. The sticker on the pillar is just a reminder.

View attachment 78655

View attachment 78656
Pretty liberal in what can be changed in UK as regards wheels and tyres. No legal permission required.

16" can swap to 17", 18", 19" or 20". 21" and 22" have been fitted to show style vans.

tyres can range from 205 x 16 up to 275 x 20 on vans.

Only criteria being that wheel rims & tyres need to have a minimum load rating to suit the vehicles grosse weight.
Worrying fact is that some don't and enforcement seems to be pretty sketchy even at MOT time.

Some show vehicles have 21" or 20" ones fitted

Pretty liberal in what can be changed in UK as regards wheels and tyres. No legal permission required.

16" can swap to 17", 18", 19" or 20". 21" and 22" have been fitted to show style vans.

tyres can range from 205 x 16 up to 275 x 20 on vans.

Only criteria being that wheel rims & tyres need to have a minimum load rating to suit the vehicles grosse weight.
Worrying fact is that some don't and enforcement seems to be pretty sketchy even at MOT time.

Some show vehicles have 21" or 20" ones fitted
In Germany they can also modify a lot and there are 20" wheels T6 driving around legally. But these modifications either come with their own "certicficate of comformity" Tüv-ABE relative to the specific model, or they need to be test -proofed and the modification included in the registration paper of the vehicle.
Main issue on big wheels is the clearance to the wheel arch and shocks, especially with people planning to lower the vehicle too!

Thank you all for such amazing levels of information
I’ve found a set of Michelin Cross Climate plus SUV XL all season - 235/55/17 103 V at KwikFit all fitted valves disposal etc with 15% discount for the 4 tyres for £486 (deal finishes tonight). Fitting tomorrow
Hopefully jobs a good un but if anyone finds a better deal …….please don’t tell me!!!

Thank you all for such amazing levels of information
I’ve found a set of Michelin Cross Climate plus SUV XL all season - 235/55/17 103 V at KwikFit all fitted valves disposal etc with 15% discount for the 4 tyres for £486 (deal finishes tonight). Fitting tomorrow
Hopefully jobs a good un but if anyone finds a better deal …….please don’t tell me!!!
When I got my Michelins it was £40 off 4 then as usual a 15% off offer popped up shortly afterwards. They seem to do it periodically, Michelin that is, as I was buying through Blackcircles.

Moral seems to be if in no rush keep checking for the offer.

Quite like the look of the Latitude Cross

When I got my Michelins it was £40 off 4 then as usual a 15% off offer popped up shortly afterwards. They seem to do it periodically, Michelin that is, as I was buying through Blackcircles.

Moral seems to be if in no rush keep checking for the offer.

Quite like the look of the Latitude Cross

If you use black circles, select the mobile fitting and the fitters details will pop up. Contact that fitter directly as they will be a local tyre garage. We saved a further £10 a tyre by going direct.

If contemplating run-flats do be aware that one crucial downside is that in practice almost any puncture will render the tyre unrepairable, whatever the manufacturer may say (tyre shop, sucking through teeth: "sorry, we just can't repair those guv").

Apols if you already knew that, I found out through bitter experience (not on a Cali).
Plus one for this - i had run flats on my 325 bmw cabriolet - absolute nightmare - would never ever have run flats again.

Back