Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Run flat tyres?

gt_63

gt_63

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I’m looking for new tyres for my Cali ocean 2015
I know I need 235/55/R17W’s but I also see a run flat option on these tyres - are they suitable for this model?
Would value your opinion
Maybe there’s an issue with the computer pressure sensor or not but they don’t come recommended in the Halfords options. Says they aren’t suitable for this vehicle
Also any decent supplier recommendations in or around High Wycombe would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input

Try Blackcircles, they can be fitted at a local tyre centre or they offer mobile fitting.

Avoid runflats, ride would be very harsh.

I know I need 235/55/R17W’s but I also see a run flat option on these tyres - are they suitable for this model?
Would value your opinion
Maybe there’s an issue with the computer pressure sensor or not but they don’t come recommended in the Halfords options. Says they aren’t suitable for this vehicle
Also any decent supplier recommendations in or around High Wycombe would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input
Besides the size of the tyre you should also take note of the axle weight rating.
For the California you need a minimum Load rating of 103.
Speed Rating can be anything from H upwards.

I very much doubt, could be wrong, that there is a Run Flat tyre with a load rating of 103 or more. Run flat tyres depend on a very, very thick inflexible sidewall. A California with run flats would handle as if it had train wheels, no rubber.

And I think you need specific wheels for run flat as well, that what I learned when I had a bmw.

And I think you need specific wheels for run flat as well, that what I learned when I had a bmw.
We had a BMW 530 Touring, the factory fitted runflats on factory rims cracked 2 alloys! Switched all tyres for non flats and never had an issue after that…and the drive was far more comfortable.

Yes rims must be designed for run flats.

runflats have a pocket in the sidewall that remains inflated when the main tyre punctures. Stops the rim contacting the road.
Big negative is the runflat stiffens up the sidewall giving a harsher ride (less flexibility) than a normal tyre.

Pirelli have introduced a tyre version that has a puncture proof tread area, gel to seal things like a nail penetration. They aren't available in all tyre sizes. Would be good for those using 18" or over wheels with no spare.

Would value your opinion
We got an excellent deal at F1 Autocentres on Michelin Agilis Cross Climate in Nov 2020, far cheaper than anything online. They have depots in Oxford, Reading, Slough and others not far from High Wycombe.

I’m having trouble finding all season tyres with the 235/55/17 W 103 spec
I know there’s some weird and wonderful variations out there but just need a sensible efficient branded tyre.
have I got the spec right?? There only seem to be summer tyres available in W

I know there’s some weird and wonderful variations out there but just need a sensible efficient branded tyre.
why do you need W ? does your Cali reaches 168 mph ? try U, H or V. Even T

Anything over T rating is more than adequate unless you plan on fitting a supercharger. I have Michelin Cross climate, same size H speed rating.

Screenshot_20210518_102610.jpg

I had the same discussion with two garages on this but they said the W was recommended due to speed/weight/wall strength - and it’s what’s in there at the moment in all 4 wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same discussion with two garages on this but they said the W was recommended due to speed/weight/wall strength - and it’s what’s in there at the moment in all 4 wheels

They are wrong.
What does the tyre lable on the Drivers B pillar say?

If contemplating run-flats do be aware that one crucial downside is that in practice almost any puncture will render the tyre unrepairable, whatever the manufacturer may say (tyre shop, sucking through teeth: "sorry, we just can't repair those guv").

Apols if you already knew that, I found out through bitter experience (not on a Cali).

If contemplating run-flats do be aware that one crucial downside is that in practice almost any puncture will render the tyre unrepairable, whatever the manufacturer may say (tyre shop, sucking through teeth: "sorry, we just can't repair those guv").

Apols if you already knew that, I found out through bitter experience (not on a Cali).
same goes for tyres with W and above.

Get the SUV version as they have a stronger sidewall. I have Michelin Crossclimate SUV and noticeably better over pothole than previous standard tyres.
SUV are between standard tyres and commercial rated ones as regards sidewall design.

They are wrong.
What does the tyre lable on the Drivers B pillar say?
My 199 states H rated on the door pillar, I would expect any 199/204 to be the same. I wouldn't want to fit any lower rating than what is shown on that sticker.

T6.1 has gone lower speed rating than previous T6/5 which had V on 235's. All to do with getting lower emission figure I think.

LOL. Not usually an issue for Cali use. Or for any other car I've owned, for that matter (a V rating gives you up to 149mph).
In Germany you can't mount summer tyres with a speed index smaller than the max speed of the car. For winter tyres only one class below (1 lower speed index) are allowed.
Of course not relevant for Calis, but applies to almost any 3.0L 6 cylinder sedan/estate/SUV in the market

In Germany you can't mount summer tyres with a speed index smaller than the max speed of the car. For winter tyres only one class below (1 lower speed index) are allowed.
Of course not relevant for Calis, but applies to almost any 3.0L 6 cylinder sedan/estate/SUV in the market
UK has vague legislation on tyres compared to Germany. It can be buried in the Construction and Use requirements which most people have no knowledge of as it's more for the Trade users who modify vehicles.

I recall many decades a ago a Ford Capri driver having his Insurance invalidated after an accident due to not having the H rated tyres fitted as it came from the Factory, only the then normal S rated ones.

Interesting that different ratings are given for what is a very similar vehicle, I need higher rated winters but lower rated 18" summers.IMG_2512.jpg

I was hoping for all season tyres as not likely to be travelling in proper snow until maybe next winter

Back