Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Running in a new vehicle

audio2

audio2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Should I drive my new vehicle gently to start with? Or is it not necessary with modern vehicles.

I'm just driving mine normally. Brakes and tyres especially need about 200 miles of mixed driving to bed in properly but engine-wise i am just trying not to labour it too much and just driving sensibly with the very occasional run through the rev range.

I have found the the DSG box has improved massively over the first 100 miles too as it learns itself. Gearchanges far smoother, less clunky etc.

You have an auto so the box will not let you strain the engine. Drive it normally, just with a little bit of respect for the fact that lots of new bits are bedding in and settling down.

As with any engine the main thing is to be gentle with it when it's cold. Once up to temp (which takes a while in a Cali) you can give it the full beans.

Don't forget to put a sign in the back window ' running in'

Curious with so many Cali owners with brand new vehicles, how many are following the break in recommendations. There seem to be 2 camps, one that follows the manual and the other, its a modern vehicle built to high tolerances so give it the beans (once warmed up).
Since mine is a long term keeper I'm in former camp. Kept the revs below recommended number for the recommended number of kms.
Current mileage is 7500km. Zero oil usage. Planning to get it serviced in the Spring when it goes in for new bellows, even if the service advisory is not triggered.

Curious with so many Cali owners with brand new vehicles, how many are following the break in recommendations. There seem to be 2 camps, one that follows the manual and the other, its a modern vehicle built to high tolerances so give it the beans (once warmed up).
Since mine is a long term keeper I'm in former camp. Kept the revs below recommended number for the recommended number of kms.
Current mileage is 7500km. Zero oil usage. Planning to get it serviced in the Spring when it goes in for new bellows, even if the service advisory is not triggered.
It’s possible to be too gentle as well as too harsh. For the first thousand miles I avoide~ kickdown and revs above 3k. I always baby it until the engine is warm.

I’m sure either extreme is deleterious to the long term function of the engine. I don’t think the manuals recommendations amount to babying. I was hitting 115km/h on the motorway and just under the rpm limit.

Running in is not required on a modern car. If you saw the lads at the factory in the rolling road test booth you’d long give up any notion you had it was still a thing.

Running in is something people do who are of a certain age ;)

Running in is not required on a modern car. If you saw the lads at the factory in the rolling road test booth you’d long give up any notion you had it was still a thing.

Running in is something people do who are of a certain age ;)

I agree with you if it’s a co. Car.
As it goes back after 4 years.
I did find my transit always would do around 110mph, as I drove it to within an inch of its life every day since new.
The other lads drove very sensible and theirs would only ever do around 87mph !
This was 30 years ago on the M4 into wales and plod was usually at the McDonald’s giving it large to the checkout persons ;)

But seeing as this is my vehicle and I’m looking at keeping it 20 years.
I did what the manual stated.
I do find it’s loosened up a bit better after my first oil service though.
Can’t really thrash a DSG diesel though can you :Grin

I agree with you if it’s a co. Car.
As it goes back after 4 years.
I did find my transit always would do around 110mph, as I drove it to within an inch of its life every day since new.
The other lads drove very sensible and theirs would only ever do around 87mph !
This was 30 years ago on the M4 into wales and plod was usually at the McDonald’s giving it large to the checkout persons ;)

But seeing as this is my vehicle and I’m looking at keeping it 20 years.
I did what the manual stated.
I do find it’s loosened up a bit better after my first oil service though.
Can’t really thrash a DSG diesel though can you :Grin
I used to find the opposite - the DSG was in too high a gear (7th + 40mph) causing engine vibration/labouring when old manual instinct would have downshifted a gear or probably two.
Cured with a DSG remap.

I used to find the opposite - the DSG was in too high a gear (7th + 40mph) causing engine vibration/labouring when old manual instinct would have downshifted a gear or probably two.
Cured with a DSG remap.
Interesting. I have never noticed the MY23 204HP engine and DSG to give me that feeling. Perhaps the stock software has some significant changes when Sport mode was dropped.

Interesting. I have never noticed the MY23 204HP engine and DSG to give me that feeling. Perhaps the stock software has some significant changes when Sport mode was dropped.
Was never sure but often wondered if me being too gentle initially during DSG learning process.

Was never sure but often wondered if me being too gentle initially during DSG learning process.
You can Reset the DSG learning process.

Reset Procedure
  1. Put the key in the ignition and turn on – Do not start the car.
  2. Hold down the accelerator pedal fully for at least 10 seconds (many suggest 20 seconds). You will feel a little click under your foot at you push down the pedal fully.
  3. Release the pedal – turn the key in the ignition.

I've not given it a seconds thought and wouldn't drive it any differently with 100 miles or 10,000 on the clock. I was always told modern engines were run in at the factory. That said am i right in saying optimum fuel efficiency doesn't happen until the car has covered x thousand miles?

Should I drive my new vehicle gently to start with? Or is it not necessary with modern vehicles.

Wouldn't worry. Drive it like you stole it from day one - you are covered by warranty.

The only concession I make is to wait until upto temperature then full steam ahead. Now on 125,000 miles and annual oil consumption between oil changes less than I can measure.

On 11k miles and after its 1st service at Swansway Birmingham, my MPG has gone up from 32 to 37.
So it’s getting better after running in for 10k miles.
I have found this with all the new cars, I’ve had, in the last 23 years.

Back