Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust already !!

Oké so,
Vw garage call me after i send a complain to dieteren.

I can bring my Cali back to the garage and they gonne replace that part off under warranty.

The thing no is i don't trust this garage it's like they have 0 experience with vw California's, I'm scared they gonne damage the pop top beceaus it's just so fragile.

But hey they gonne fix it.
And I will have a replacement car for free... Waaw.

Thanks again peaple!
This forum is the best!
Ask them if you can have the part which they remove, because you
want to see if they managed to spray the underside.
Then, look the service manager in the eyes and ask him on which planet
does he think this kind of repair is okay. :D

Our 2014 Call has no corrosion at all on these components, definitely a coating issue, no not accept a rub down and paint.

Had our wonderful Cali Bert 12 weeks and loving him, off to the NC500 next week. While doing checks for our trip I’ve noticed quite bad rust on one of the roof brackets that’s bolted to the roof itself , have attached pictures of both sides, surely this must have had rust on it 16 weeks ago during the building process
Anyone else have this problem

View attachment 107009

View attachment 107010
It appears that the plating/anodizing on the part is defective in process. Rust, once it begins, can never truly be defeated as the rust is in the pores of the steel and beneath the surface. Simply sanding down and painting over will see rust reappear after years or sooner after the van is off warranty. Full replacement is required, with new factory parts, not a do-over.

It appears that the plating/anodizing on the part is defective in process. Rust, once it begins, can never truly be defeated as the rust is in the pores of the steel and beneath the surface. Simply sanding down and painting over will see rust reappear after years or sooner after the van is off warranty. Full replacement is required, with new factory parts, not a do-over.
The exposed metal parts are galvanised. Or should be. Possibly VW was using a new supplier during the Pandemic and didn't do their due diligence. I hope not many vans were affected as that issue is not going away.

It's such a shame that standards have reduced so much when prices have rocketed. I know mine is an auto roof, but in the 15 years I've had my Cali, there has never been any sign of rust or corrosion anywhere. But prices have nearly tripled.

Is the channel holding water when closed?

What's happened there? The stress marks suggest it's been forced towards the closed position?

Wowee some horrendous service (or lack of) there!

This needs to be escalated to VW senior management if local dealers think that this kind of sticking plaster is acceptable. I'm appalled by this.

Oké so,
Vw garage call me after i send a complain to dieteren.

I can bring my Cali back to the garage and they gonne replace that part off under warranty.

The thing no is i don't trust this garage it's like they have 0 experience with vw California's, I'm scared they gonne damage the pop top beceaus it's just so fragile.

But hey they gonne fix it.
And I will have a replacement car for free... Waaw.

Thanks again peaple!
This forum is the best!
Hi @thesurfervanbeach - did you get the rusty scissors replaced by your dealer?
If so, are you happy with the results?

Yes, very happy with the scissors but not with the leaking bellows even after changing they still leak

Hi @thesurfervanbeach - did you get the rusty scissors replaced by your dealer?
If so, are you happy with the results?
Hi,
Yes they changed it.
And yes im happy with the results.

So what they did under warranty was :

-Bench stuck in bed position
-the scissor for the roof
-both corners from the roof top where the tent came lose
-the handle for to move the bench

I think thats it :D
But just back from 25 days france and spain... i love this van

Back