Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

same old topic...

My T6 Beach came with 16" alloys & I changed to VW 30mm lowering springs & 18" Sportlines at the same time.

Whilst it looks dramatically better IMO the ride is worse, though not unbearable - I'm not fluent in describing ride, but I think I'd call it "crashy" on anything below a good surface. Previously much smoother, but also "wallowy" especially in & out of roundabouts.

If I ever swap vans I'll stick with stock suspension & 17" alloys next time.

You might be better off getting rid of the VW lowering springs and investing in a better suspension set-up.
At the end of the day. Your using the same standard shock with a changed amount of travel...

how about 19” ........

Never had 19s
My last few vans had 18s, apart from my T4 which had 17s.

Personally I like to see some rubber on a van. I think it looks better. It’s just getting that balance right.

This was my old T4, 17s lowered 60mm
AD208375-5B3D-4F29-B2DE-40807040DDBA.jpeg

Old T5 18s, lowered 30mm
42A106C4-EECE-4428-AD5E-EC8B54C3D9B6.jpeg

Old T5.1 Beach 18s on standard. It needed lowering.
B9AE1C7B-366F-4045-A92A-CFB0CF56FC6F.jpeg

Current van is on standard suspension and 17s.
My next job is lowering and I’m gonna have spacers fitted to bring the wheels out 20mm all round.
Keeping my eyes peeled for a decent set of Amarok 18s at sensible money too.

I think with 19" wheels you are also massively reducing your tyre choice available, far less common.

Of course it is !

Its always an interesting discussion and in reality, unless we have actually been in someone else’s van with a different set up it is impossible to have a view on ride and handling.

Those who have made changes can easily have confirmation bias and a firmer ride for some is unacceptable in the same way that body roll is for others.

Having owned four Calis over the years with standard suspension, VW sportline springs, 16, 17, 18 and 20 inch wheels I have to say that my current set up if by far the best I have had (notwithstanding any obvious confirmation bias).

It is also by far the most expensive but also most technically advanced having been designed specifically for the vehicle and now supplied by VWVC as a dealer option retaining warranty.

I've never really understood this lowering, stiffening, bigger wheels thing. VW have probably spent millions on finding the optimum set up for the wide spectrum of possible road conditions and driving styles. Their "one size fits all" set up won't be perfect but i can't see a good enough reason to mess around with it. As Granny Jen says "it's just a van".

However, it's a VW and they've always been modified.

It just comes down to people. Most will always ignore reality and actual vehicle dynamics in favour of bling.

It may well be possible to get a 19” tyre with a valid load rating but the sidewall will be so stiff it will suffer ride quality.

Everyone swears by lowering as the holy grail.
Sure it reduces C of G but also alters roll centre, and not in a good way.
Done correctly the lower ball joint should be moved to correct the wishbone angle. This simply isn’t an option unless you wAnt to manufacture custom bottom arms.

Bling beats brains. True story.

I've never really understood this lowering, stiffening, bigger wheels thing. VW have probably spent millions on finding the optimum set up for the wide spectrum of possible road conditions and driving styles. Their "one size fits all" set up won't be perfect but i can't see a good enough reason to mess around with it. As Granny Jen says "it's just a van".

However, it's a VW and they've always been modified.
[/QUOTE
Bling beats brains. True story.
You’re entitled to your opinion but there is no need to be offensive.

That said I do like the aesthetics of a lowered van on nice 18” tyre brackets.

I was merely commenting that just the fact you have coilovers fitted doesn't necessarily mean you can't get a jack under, blow out or not. I will need to go and specifically check the minimum required height to get the VW supplied jack under, as I don't know that. I do know that VW supply coilovers and 20" wheels.
Their tyre size of choice is 255/50/R20 FYI.
Are you sure about the tyre size as a 255/50/20 will give a 9.5% speedo reading error? 18" has a 45 with same width.
Looks more like an Amorak fitting as it matches the original on that.

If I swapped to 18" OEM wheels, would the warranty on the van still be valid?

Are you sure about the tyre size as a 255/50/20 will give a 9.5% speedo reading error? 18" has a 45 with same width.
Looks more like an Amorak fitting as it matches the original on that.
Got this size from the VW accessories brochure, but yes it does look wrong to me, so sorry for that!

I have 18’s which I changed to on getting the Cali. Having my other vehicle lowered I am so pleased I didn’t go down that route with the Cali.

@DoctorBob , sorry cannot help with your specific query, but, if you are interested in trying/testing out VB Air suspension, I am nearabouts you - in Newbury. I don't mind a drive to show you the van.
I've been thinking about getting the VB air suspension. I've got a T6 Ocean (4 Motion), I want more ground clearance as plan to take it to some tricky places. Any idea what the best tyre/wheel combo would be to give max off road clearance but still make it good hacking across motorways in Europe? Thanks!

I've been thinking about getting the VB air suspension. I've got a T6 Ocean (4 Motion), I want more ground clearance as plan to take it to some tricky places. Any idea what the best tyre/wheel combo would be to give max off road clearance but still make it good hacking across motorways in Europe? Thanks!
Eliot, we have had the VB air suspension fitted since new and it has been a very good investment (the best investment).

Remember one thing first - fitting the VB alone does not make your vehicle off road capable. If your objective is to do a lot of extreme off road, will also recommend something like a seikel lift kit etc.

Well, with that out of the way, the VB air fitted to my van (by Ryan at Rosmia) has been fantastic.

Under normal riding conditions, it make the van much more stable and better handling. No more wallowing about on the road or the vague steering. The vehicle drives really well. I can take corners at speed and the van stays planted.

On the motorway, with the vehicle in sport mode, it is a pleasure to drive.

The self levelling is another great feature. A funny thing - recently my wife was cooking when the van was parked on uneven ground. The oil in the pan would drain to one side and she was complaining that she was not able to cook well. One press of a button on the VB air, and the van levelled itself and I got myself a nicely done piece of chicken

The lowest setting, only used it a few times when I had to get under low barriers.

The highest setting, only used it when I had to take the spare wheel out the back. Makes it so much more easier.

Remember there is a max speed restriction when using either the highest or the lowest setting on the suspension.

Overall a great investment I would not be without.

Currently I am running 235/55 R 17 Goodyear's but plan to change over to BFG 225/65/17 before winter.

Any questions, do ask.

No wish or intention of changing anything below the waistline on my Cali. It drives like a decently-sorted campervan. Which is what it is, so that's good. No wish to reduce suspension travel or ground clearance for bad roads by lowering. My standard 17 inch wheels go round and round nicely. Fatter tyres just make handling less predictable especially on real-world roads, and I drive my van on real world roads not race tracks.

I'm sure air suspension would be very nice and would add versatility, but the cost-benefit of that wouldn't make sense for me.

I need some advice and this thread seems full of experts before I make my own post. I just changed out 18” Dakar wheels for 17” with General AT3 tyres for a balance of performance on unpaved roads when I surf, but I do also hit the highway for one big trip each summer. Last year made it to southern France and back from Newcastle. I have a 2006 T5 SE 2.5, no 4motion though so I’m not going anywhere crazy off road.

When I bought the van it already had the VW 30 MM sport springs. With the new wheels and tyres on I have a couple issues:
The sliding door rubs against the outside of the rear tyre for the last 5 inches or so (still can open it all the way) and tyres rub on full lock.

I’m thinking the former could be resolved by returning the van to the stock ride height, The springs seem to introduce a slight negative camber which makes the wheel stick out a little on the bottom. my friend has a set of standard springs from his T30 Kombi he said I could have, but I’m not sure if they are the same springs installed on a stock California... I’m thinking this might be a sensible 1st thing to try but I don’t want to compromise ride quality and don’t want to cheap out if they aren’t the right item.
I would consider lifting it a little bit above stock too.

I think an air suspension it’s probably not worth the investment on a van this old at probably £4000+, but if I can get great on and off road handling with quality shocks and springs I’ll spend £1500 to get it. I’ve seen Seikel kits with Bilstein shocks for around that but not sure how the on-road handling will be compared to the original setup

as for the rubbing on full lock are wheel spacers the likely solution?

OLD
669AC76E-A64A-4341-ADAC-E6DFD31725D7.jpeg
NEW
9FA173AD-E60B-4CDE-AC30-6CCA2D428CFD.jpeg

0EE0034F-D495-411D-A223-E71CBFE261CC.jpeg

Nice looking van !

Yes the Sliding door internals do prevent serious poke on the rear wheels so you have to be careful about that as it may damage the door internal plastics and may even put strain on the sliding rail/hinge etc.

Regarding the tyre rub it's difficult to say if lifting suspension would solve it - depends on where they are rubbing? Alternative would be to reduce the tyre sidewall profile but I guess that probably defeats the object of having them in the first place ??

Back