Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the spare wheel any use once you have upgraded to bigger wheels?

R

Russell

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hiya all, can someone help. I changed my wheels to 20inch and about to go for a while into Europe. Is there any point in taking the spare wheel which is 17inch. Could I use it to limp to a garage or could this damage the axle or any electronics. It's a DSG. Thanks if anyone can offer me any advice:)

Yep I have 20s on my Kombi and have used the 17"spare many times.if your 20s are the correct rolling radius they will be the same diameter so don't worry..
They are wider but it will definitely be a good idea to take it..

Hiya all, can someone help. I changed my wheels to 20inch and about to go for a while into Europe. Is there any point in taking the spare wheel which is 17inch. Could I use it to limp to a garage or could this damage the axle or any electronics. It's a DSG. Thanks if anyone can offer me any advice:)

Hi @Russell, welcome on your first post. The general approach I've seen from other discussions in the forum is that if you are missmatching the spare, then if you can get a tyre size to make up the difference that results in the total diameter being the same, then it is a reasonable temporary measure i.e good for a few miles at <50mph. However, my personal view is look for an alternative method such as tyreweld or a slime that patches up the troublesome tyre.

Hope that helps.

Put your tire size into wheel converter on google and compare it to the 17"
The 17" will be a 215/60 or a 235/55
This will help you see the rolling radius of both wheels

Do what jay says and check the circumference. The 20's tyres should be nearly the same, I think a 275 35 tyre is the nearest. As long as you don't have a 4 motion you are safe to drag the spare wheel on the back axle but I wouldn't fit it on the front if there's a massive difference.

Back