Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sand in the (manual) sliding door mechanism - any ideas gratefully received

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The van was in a sand storm in southern France, which must be the cause of the nasty grinding noise coming from the centre rail when the sliding door is opened and closed. It was fine before the storm. Just wondered if there were any thoughts on a cure, short of dismantling the door mechanism! I’ve tried silicone spray.

We’re off in the van again shortly so I’m hoping I can get it sorted pdq

Thanks in advance

The van was in a sand storm in southern France, which must be the cause of the nasty grinding noise coming from the centre rail when the sliding door is opened and closed. It was fine before the storm. Just wondered if there were any thoughts on a cure, short of dismantling the door mechanism! I’ve tried silicone spray.

Thanks in advance
Silicon spray will just make the sand stick even more. I'd give it a power wash out to get rid of the sand from the back and then add spray to relube.

I would get a sheet of plastic from a DIY store, some tape and cover the opening to the camper van when the door is open. This will give you good access to the mechanism for the powerwasher. Then get some proper VW grease to replace the old contaminated stuff.

Thanks both for your advice - it’s much appreciated - hadn’t thought of power washing.

Just flushing with water from a bottle you can squeeze and has a small spout while your away might be enough to get you away and do property when home. The door is designed to drain at the back.

It you’re talking about the centre rail behind the rail cover panel, I don’t think this is supposed to be lubed (otherwise the roller could slip, rather than spin freely). Similarly I wouldn’t spray water in there as I don’t know the drainage situation in that area, or want to risk forcing water into the roller bearing(s). I would suggest using compressed air - either from a compressor or an aerosol air duster

It you’re talking about the centre rail behind the rail cover panel, I don’t think this is supposed to be lubed (otherwise the roller could slip, rather than spin freely). Similarly I wouldn’t spray water in there as I don’t know the drainage situation in that area, or want to risk forcing water into the roller bearing(s). I would suggest using compressed air - either from a compressor or an aerosol air duster
That could work too but I guess not as readily available to the OP on holiday.

Actually the van is at home in between trips and my son has compressed air so we’ll give that a try - thanks!

Thanks in advance
You could access the mechanism and clean up the track. The cover removal is shown about 3 minutes into this …….

Sorted! We tried compressed air - no effect. We then squirted a touch of wd40 on the roller - end of issue. We’ll monitor and keep our fingers crossed. Removing the panel looked like the next step so I’m hoping we’ve avoided that.

Many thanks all for your advice - as ever, what a marvellous group!

I had assumed just the bottom rail, only when I saw the video did I realise it could be the centre rail you were having issues with.

Sorted! We tried compressed air - no effect. We then squirted a touch of wd40 on the roller - end of issue. We’ll monitor and keep our fingers crossed. Removing the panel looked like the next step so I’m hoping we’ve avoided that.

Many thanks all for your advice - as ever, what a marvellous group!
About to suggest, flush out with large amounts of wd40 and monitor.

Had a very similar situation to this recently, causing a rough sound when opening & closing the slider.
the slider would not close without a good push (Slam) , tried a bit of Wd40 on all roller wheels which made a little improvement but still getting a rough sound when opening the slider.

what I did :

park on a slight slope, or chock the front end, (front up) spray copious amounts of WD40 into the front curving section of the mid rail channel & roller (whilst the door is held slightly ajar you can see the roller, spray upwards ).
Close the door, spray copious amount of WD40 into the entire length of the rear channel ( behind the cover panel, spraying upwards) , it’s a C Section runner, which can’t been seen properly whilst the cover is fitted, so you need to spray upwards to flush the rail Fully, slide the door back 3/4 distance spray again directly into the channel & at the roller, from the front of the door.

the resultant excessive fluid / crud will flood out of the cover panel nearest the tailgate, it will be grey and gritty, like metal filings ( use kitchen towel to prevent the excess cascading down the paintwork).

activate the door back and forth, several times, you should hear an improvement and feel less resistance, repeat the WD40 flush as necessary,
then jetwash the rail from front to back by spraying directly into the Channel gap / roller mech. (Door fully closed)
open the door , close the door and repeat the wash until you are happy with the improvement.
then squirt a very small amount of WD40 onto the mid rail roller wheel(s) and operate the door several times (paper towel at hand)

result = door opens & closes like it’s new, no force required to close the slider, it simply slides into the power close with no effort.

Had a very similar situation to this recently, causing a rough sound when opening & closing the slider.
the slider would not close without a good push (Slam) , tried a bit of Wd40 on all roller wheels which made a little improvement but still getting a rough sound when opening the slider.

what I did :

park on a slight slope, or chock the front end, (front up) spray copious amounts of WD40 into the front curving section of the mid rail channel & roller (whilst the door is held slightly ajar you can see the roller, spray upwards ).
Close the door, spray copious amount of WD40 into the entire length of the rear channel ( behind the cover panel, spraying upwards) , it’s a C Section runner, which can’t been seen properly whilst the cover is fitted, so you need to spray upwards to flush the rail Fully, slide the door back 3/4 distance spray again directly into the channel & at the roller, from the front of the door.

the resultant excessive fluid / crud will flood out of the cover panel nearest the tailgate, it will be grey and gritty, like metal filings ( use kitchen towel to prevent the excess cascading down the paintwork).

activate the door back and forth, several times, you should hear an improvement and feel less resistance, repeat the WD40 flush as necessary,
then jetwash the rail from front to back by spraying directly into the Channel gap / roller mech. (Door fully closed)
open the door , close the door and repeat the wash until you are happy with the improvement.
then squirt a very small amount of WD40 onto the mid rail roller wheel(s) and operate the door several times (paper towel at hand)

result = door opens & closes like it’s new, no force required to close the slider, it simply slides into the power close with no effort.
Thanks for that! Our door still works beautifully, but I’ll definitely refer back to this if needed

Back