Sat Nav recommendation (2016)

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi All, I need some help! I have had a look around the forums for up to date comments about recommended sat nav systems for a Cali Ocean but not found too much stuff that is up to date. So as technology moves at such a pace I decided to pose a new question. I am not looking for the built in ones but more the suction cup types. I currently have an old Navigon which has served me well but the maps are old and the battery is on its last legs so I decided it's time for new. I was thinking 6" screen but got no further! Any help or advice would be appreciated.

If you have a modern smart phone then I don't think you can beat the data on services such as Waze or Google, even apple maps is getting good now. For that reason I think the units that let you connect your phone may be the best option. The data based versions will always be up to date (unlike my RNS 315 which is 2016 data that's already out of date before its released).

I connected my iPhone through CarPlay last night, did a long press of the voice control button Siri came up and asked what I wanted, I said "Take me home" she promptly calculated a route and up popped apple maps on my screen and it took me home and worked propery first time. Brilliant!

We have not the genuine NAV nor the CarPlay, so we decided on a iPad Mini with a telecard for Europe. That has proved to be a very versatile solution. We can use the unit for receiving messages, finding restaurants and campings, etc. And of cause use a navigation of our choice. We have both maps from Apple, Google and Wize installed. Besides we can enjoy hear-books along the drive. When on a location (use it mostly in cities) we can bring the unit along, for way finding, information search, etc.

Apple maps is better after the last update, but is still crap on the showing traffic compared to Google.

I've been comparing the two during my morning commute over the last few weeks, when I'm usually sat intraffic for up to an hour.

Apple's data must be delayed by quite a long time and never reflects reality. Google seems to be spot on.

My preference is our iPad with TomTom app for road, MotionX HD for off road and Memory Map app for walking. All of them can work on or offline.

If you have a modern smart phone then I don't think you can beat the data on services such as Waze or Google, even apple maps is getting good now. For that reason I think the units that let you connect your phone may be the best option. The data based versions will always be up to date (unlike my RNS 315 which is 2016 data that's already out of date before its released).
I had kind of dismissed the use of smart phones in the belief that data use charges, particularly in mainland Europe, were prohibitive? I have an iPhone 6s by the way.

Apple maps is better after the last update, but is still crap on the showing traffic compared to Google.

I've been comparing the two during my morning commute over the last few weeks, when I'm usually sat intraffic for up to an hour.

Apple's data must be delayed by quite a long time and never reflects reality. Google seems to be spot on.
Thanks for tip off!

We have not the genuine NAV nor the CarPlay, so we decided on a iPad Mini with a telecard for Europe. That has proved to be a very versatile solution. We can use the unit for receiving messages, finding restaurants and campings, etc. And of cause use a navigation of our choice. We have both maps from Apple, Google and Wize installed. Besides we can enjoy hear-books along the drive. When on a location (use it mostly in cities) we can bring the unit along, for way finding, information search, etc.
Sounds a potential good solution. Are there any data costs involved? If so, what might I expect?

:(:(
I connected my iPhone through CarPlay last night, did a long press of the voice control button Siri came up and asked what I wanted, I said "Take me home" she promptly calculated a route and up popped apple maps on my screen and it took me home and worked propery first time. Brilliant!
My Cali won't come with CarPlay as far as I know so unfortunately this will not be available to me:(

Thanks to everyone so far. looks like I have some homework to do. I have plenty of time!:)

I picked up a garmin 660 camper sat nav from aldi for £199. I also use it in my truck as can tell it length, height, weight etc works very well. Also has in built campsites pois.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I picked up a garmin 660 camper sat nav from aldi for £199. I also use it in my truck as can tell it length, height, weight etc works very well. Also has in built campsites pois.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Sounds simple and straight forwards - thanks Andy.

:(:(
My Cali won't come with CarPlay as far as I know so unfortunately this will not be available to me:(

If it's an ocean with at least the 6.33 composite media system then CarPlay is just a licence activation fee (VW call it "app-connect") which you can do later at the dealer if not ordered already for around £120

I had kind of dismissed the use of smart phones in the belief that data use charges, particularly in mainland Europe, were prohibitive? I have an iPhone 6s by the way.

I have been using OsmAnd+ for years, from Finland to Spain and all points in between, and love it. The user interface takes a little getting used to but it has some major bonuses:

1) It's free, with no irritating ads
2) You can download all maps before going away, and many have simple/complex variants depending on space on your phone
3) The maps are generally bang up to date

The only issue is that it's Android only for now as the iOS is just maps rather than navigation.

In your shoes I would probably buy a Moto G phone + a 16GB MicroSD card from Amazon, and download OsmAnd+. The Moto can always act as a backup phone, or you can drop a local / europe-wide SIM in it and it could be data connected for the whole trip. It could then act as a Wifi device for the Cali if you don't already have one.

I did borrow a friend's TomTom last year, just to try one again as I used to love them (and still have a GO 910 somewhere), but it tried to send me over a mountain pass by Bourg St Maurice. In March!

I have a TomTom Go 5100 with World Maps which are updated every 3 months, direct link to TomTom traffic and safety camera updates every month for £200. Has an improved search capability over earlier models and sits nicely on one of those bean bag mounts on the dash. All the updates and the Sim card link to TomTom are included in the price.
Had it for 2 months, but impressed by it so far. It has the temporary speed restrictions on the M5 in it's "memory" and when various roads in Bristol were shut for the half marathon it guided me round them.

If it's an ocean with at least the 6.33 composite media system then CarPlay is just a licence activation fee (VW call it "app-connect") which you can do later at the dealer if not ordered already for around £120
It is an Ocean with the 6.33 composite media so OK. Will wait 'til delivery and make decision then. Thanks.

I have been using OsmAnd+ for years, from Finland to Spain and all points in between, and love it. The user interface takes a little getting used to but it has some major bonuses:

1) It's free, with no irritating ads
2) You can download all maps before going away, and many have simple/complex variants depending on space on your phone
3) The maps are generally bang up to date

The only issue is that it's Android only for now as the iOS is just maps rather than navigation.

In your shoes I would probably buy a Moto G phone + a 16GB MicroSD card from Amazon, and download OsmAnd+. The Moto can always act as a backup phone, or you can drop a local / europe-wide SIM in it and it could be data connected for the whole trip. It could then act as a Wifi device for the Cali if you don't already have one.

I did borrow a friend's TomTom last year, just to try one again as I used to love them (and still have a GO 910 somewhere), but it tried to send me over a mountain pass by Bourg St Maurice. In March!
I have iPhone so no iOS nav is a bit of a problem right now, but thanks anyway - all good advice to consider.

I have a TomTom Go 5100 with World Maps which are updated every 3 months, direct link to TomTom traffic and safety camera updates every month for £200. Has an improved search capability over earlier models and sits nicely on one of those bean bag mounts on the dash. All the updates and the Sim card link to TomTom are included in the price.
Had it for 2 months, but impressed by it so far. It has the temporary speed restrictions on the M5 in it's "memory" and when various roads in Bristol were shut for the half marathon it guided me round them.
Sounds like one to consider. Thanks for advice.

I have the TomTom GO 6100 which is a little larger than the 5100 but the same features I think. Both these units get very good reviews. I'm very happy with mine. Have previously had Garmins.

I realise there are loads of options with smartphones and tablets, with others have described in this thread, but a dedicated satnav is still what we prefer.

I've recently been navigated several times around central London by SIL using Google and Waze apps.
I think they are the future as they have live traffic updates and reeroute you accordingly.
Better than my Garmin.
Waze (I think) is owned by Google and the benefit is that you can ask it to avoid tolls (including congestion charge.)
He was using Iphone 6s. He has unlimited data which is important if you are using this application. He reckons it is best to buy outright and get a sim only deal.
Of course all this is done via 4G, readily available in London but not everywhere. I stand to be corrected if 3G is fast enough for this.

The "always connected" TomToms also have Live Traffic updates. They regularly advise you of holdups on the planned route and advise of alternatives that are quicker and give you the option of switching to that route or not.
I was driving to a shop in the middle of Bath recently and was impressed that I was guided in by the SatNav, a resident next to me was not aware of the way in by car as there were so many block ends in the central area to stop the "rat runs" that used to cause problems.

Have you confirmed that you can buy the activation after you have the vehicle?

I have the TomTom GO 6100 which is a little larger than the 5100 but the same features I think. Both these units get very good reviews. I'm very happy with mine. Have previously had Garmins.

I realise there are loads of options with smartphones and tablets, with others have described in this thread, but a dedicated satnav is still what we prefer.
Thanks Velma's Dad. I have only ever used a dedicated device so I have to decide to stay with what I know or go and move with the times? I recon I've a few months to make that choice. Time is on my side as I watch BBC4's Pink Floyd's early years. Takes me back...........