Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav recommendation (2016)

In this country I use Google maps on my phone, brilliant for all the reasons listed by others.
I've got a built in pioneer avic sat nav for when we're abroad, seemed like a great idea at the time but not very future proof and wouldn't do it again. Works pretty well abroad but always out of date even after a £120 map update!

Yes, did it with my wife's Polo

It's not a blanket VW-wide thing, it's model by model even though it's the same damn unit in the dash.

I'm waiting to do this too, but they've not released it as a T6 specific part number yet AFAIK - I knew it was available on current Golfs, so encouraging to hear it's out for Polos too, ta.

I connected my iPhone through CarPlay last night, did a long press of the voice control button Siri came up and asked what I wanted, I said "Take me home" she promptly calculated a route and up popped apple maps on my screen and it took me home and worked propery first time. Brilliant!

I'm new to the CarPlay idea...will it work ok with your new Cali on order? ...which by the way is the same as my order ...204 X4 DSG.
I specified the composition DAB media with 6.3 screen plus App Connect on the advice I received that I could use Google Maps through the system.

I'm new to the CarPlay idea...will it work ok with your new Cali on order? ...which by the way is the same as my order ...204 X4 DSG.
I specified the composition DAB media with 6.3 screen plus App Connect on the advice I received that I could use Google Maps through the system.
Yes that was on our new Cali with same media system, we picked it up Wednesday. Uses Apple maps on CarPlay.

I have the TomTom GO 6100 which is a little larger than the 5100 but the same features I think. Both these units get very good reviews. I'm very happy with mine. Have previously had Garmins.

I realise there are loads of options with smartphones and tablets, with others have described in this thread, but a dedicated satnav is still what we prefer.

In response to the OP, I have testing TomTom Go App (v1.10, Android), Waze and Google Maps. With the TomTom app you download the maps worldwide unlimited and have traffic unlimited* . I have UK & Ireland and the whole of Western Europe downloaded. Works great and the camera and traffic information is superb. I believe it has saved me lots of time and fuel.

Waze and Google NAV only work with a data connection, you can download the route with Google NAV but you have to remember to do that, I tend to forget. You can use it for typical routes you have already done. So home and work are OK but search for a location that is new you'll find it asks for a data connection after searching your off-line data. No camera location with Google but traffic is pretty good. Waze has cameras and traffic and it's as good as Google Nav but couldn't say better or worse.

TOMTOM app can always plan a route but you loose both traffic and camera locations without a data connection.

Question for VD: does the Tomtom 6100 loose the camera and traffic or is this part of the SIM deal that comes with it?
I was considering the new 6200 provided it gives the camera and traffic constantly regardless of a 2G/3G/4G signal?

Before anyone tells me I'm incorrect, try disabling the 3G/4G connection and plan a route see how far you get.

Depending on the reply from VD I'd buy a dedicated TOMTOM and use that for location where I know data is lost and for local UK use one of the apps from the mobile.

As for data usage from 22 Sept - 23 Oct TOMTOM used 10Mb, Waze 75Mb, Google Maps 105Mb.
I've used Google maps more than Waze but often check routes and traffic with Tomtom.

JabberWocky if you want more info you have my email and or PM me :)

*Only as long as the device is still supported by TomTom.

EDIT:
I remember reading somewhere that none are very good with road closures since at least the TOMTOM relies on operator input where as traffic is device based.

I use my TomTom 5100 in Snowdonia quite a lot and on the route up there. Since buying the 5100 I have noticed that there seems to be less lack of connection to the server than with my previous TomTom. There are still places where my phone looses signal and the previous SatNav did as well, but they seem to have decreased.
I'm not sure where the devices get their up to date info from, but both this one and the last one have shown hold ups ahead quickly and accurately. It will divert me off a route if there is a shorter alternative due to delays on the planned route. Going to Bath from Bristol the other Sunday it discounted the A4 advising the M32, it then avoided Lansdown because of holdups near the racecourse.
Long term delays like 50mph road works on M5 are also on there.
Bit slow on start up though on the downside, but all map updates, connectivity and safety camera updates are now included.

Great...nice to know I was given the right info from the dealer...refreshing.

Just one minor point. If it's CarPlay it only uses Apple Maps and not Google maps. There's much less of a disparity between the two these days. I find it works perfectly well, but it's worth noting.

I am not a fan of the TomTom Go App, I prefer the full TomTom Western Europe app as I prefer the interface and it works on the iPad without scaling up.
The dedicated TomTom appliances have build in data sims and all the new models come with map updates for the life of the units and a small subscription gets you live updates of traffic and speed warnings etc.
The top cubby is large enough to hold an iPad mini so a small hinged mount could be installed in there to hold the iPad if you like me, want it to run multiple apps but the new series TomTom dedicated units are getting bigger and cheaper than an iPad as the iPad would need a data connection.

I am not a fan of the TomTom Go App, I prefer the full TomTom Western Europe app as I prefer the interface and it works on the iPad without scaling up.
The dedicated TomTom appliances have build in data sims and all the new models come with map updates for the life of the units and a small subscription gets you live updates of traffic and speed warnings etc.
The top cubby is large enough to hold an iPad mini so a small hinged mount could be installed in there to hold the iPad if you like me, want it to run multiple apps but the new series TomTom dedicated units are getting bigger and cheaper than an iPad as the iPad would need a data connection.

Not all TomTom devices have built in SIM. Some cheaper models use the smartphone connectivity.

Not all TomTom devices have built in SIM. Some cheaper models use the smartphone connectivity.

Yes that's a good point. We chose one of the higher-end TomToms specifically so that we wouldn't have the faff of having to tether it to a smartphone to get the traffic data. But others may be happy with the trade-off.