Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Satnav

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm choosing a new Satnav (the cost of updating my current Garmin seems very high at £75). We haven't yet got our new Cali but I'd like to buy now.

My current satnav screen at 5" is fine in my BMW 3-series, but I don't know how it will work in the Cali.

Does anyone use a Garmin with their Cali? (I'm specifically looking at the 2599LMT-D). Is a 5" screen sufficient? Does it mount best on the dash or windscreen? Interested in views and comments.

I have the 2699LMT-D, acer, I am really pleased with it so far (it has only been used on local, familiar journeys so far mind you). I went for the 6" screen, having looked at the 5" in John Lewis; I think the 5" would suffice but there is plenty of room for the 6" and I decided I may as well see as much as possible on the screen. I was worried about the screen-mount so went with the Garmin beanbag mount in the end. I put some photos at the bottom of this thread: http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sat-nav-bean-bag.2477/#post-82783. Hope this helps!

Maud

Thanks Maud,
I didn't see that thread before - very useful. And, VW campers and bean-bags do go well together. Peace.:cool:

Hi Acer, did you know you can get free "Open Street Maps" to update your Garmin? I did a Garmin of mine a while ago and it works fine. I can't remember where I downloaded it from but I just did a quick Google and found this one

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

(I notice there are other web sites out there trying to charge for these OSM maps, steer clear of those!)

Even if you still buy a new satnav it's useful to have an up to date back up and it's an interesting exercise.

BTW, did you see an article in the paper today saying that smartphones are making sat navs obsolescent? And you can get a smartphone for less than £100, it will have a better screen and probably a slicker interface than a dedicated sat nav. In fact, I bought one to try out for £62 off Amazon (inc postage); it's a Chinese one with (I think) 6" screen, dual sim card running Android Kitkat. I think it's too big personally, but you can load maps onboard (free apps available) forget the cellphone bit, and use it as a dedicated sat nav without a sim card.

Another option to think about is to get a sat nav which also receives TV. I bought one of these a while back from Costco (you're probably beginning to realise I'm a sad old gadget freak by now); the beauty of this is it saves you carrying a TV around, and space is precious in the Cali. We no longer need/use it as a sat nav, but it's still used as a TV rather than lugging a bigger set around.

Sorry about rambling on :mute

Edit: Link to sat nav article
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31920948

Last edited:
Hi Acer, did you know you can get free "Open Street Maps" to update your Garmin? I did a Garmin of mine a while ago and it works fine. I can't remember where I downloaded it from but I just did a quick Google and found this one

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

(I notice there are other web sites out there trying to charge for these OSM maps, steer clear of those!)

Even if you still buy a new satnav it's useful to have an up to date back up and it's an interesting exercise.

BTW, did you see an article in the paper today saying that smartphones are making sat navs obsolescent? And you can get a smartphone for less than £100, it will have a better screen and probably a slicker interface than a dedicated sat nav. In fact, I bought one to try out for £62 off Amazon (inc postage); it's a Chinese one with (I think) 6" screen, dual sim card running Android Kitkat. I think it's too big personally, but you can load maps onboard (free apps available) forget the cellphone bit, and use it as a dedicated sat nav without a sim card.

Another option to think about is to get a sat nav which also receives TV. I bought one of these a while back from Costco (you're probably beginning to realise I'm a sad old gadget freak by now); the beauty of this is it saves you carrying a TV around, and space is precious in the Cali. We no longer need/use it as a sat nav, but it's still used as a TV rather than lugging a bigger set around.

Sorry about rambling on :mute

Edit: Link to sat nav article
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31920948

"Which?" suggests that the smartphone apps aren't quite as good as Satnavs, but they are surely getting there. When we got lost with our satnav (with out of date maps) we turned to our iPhone and it got us out of trouble. I'm not sure if the maps were held on the phone or whether it was using the 3G network to guide me around.

I am worried that if I try to download free maps I will mess up my satnav and have no support available. Can anyone can recommend a good reliable site (and to cover W Europe too).

How does the TV work? Aerials? Wifi?

Following inspiration from a recent post from another member regarding a Newsmy chinese unit, I've just replaced the standard RCD 310 with a combined sat nav unit purchased from an ebay seller recommended on another forum. I did not go for the Newsmy unit, but another chinese one (from UK seller) which, unless you look closely, looks just like the RNS 510. Installed last night and so far extremely pleased - in addition to sat nav you have handfree and bluetooth. All for less than £200. Time will tell but so far seems to be fantastic value for money and better IMO than a sat nav attached to the screen

Following inspiration from a recent post from another member regarding a Newsmy chinese unit, I've just replaced the standard RCD 310 with a combined sat nav unit purchased from an ebay seller recommended on another forum. I did not go for the Newsmy unit, but another chinese one (from UK seller) which, unless you look closely, looks just like the RNS 510. Installed last night and so far extremely pleased - in addition to sat nav you have handfree and bluetooth. All for less than £200. Time will tell but so far seems to be fantastic value for money and better IMO than a sat nav attached to the screen

Couldn't agree more (well I did write that post on the Newsmy unit). If you choose carefully you can get some bargains that are better than most units you'd pay many times more for. And bigger screen, no fiddling with extra wires, charging etc like an external sat nav.

Back