Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland road trip!!

wilde1

wilde1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, I'm fast approaching 40 and we are planning on having a week touring Scotland. We are aiming to go 2nd/3rd week in March, leave early on a Saturday morning from York, North Yorkshire spend up to Thursday/friday in Scotland then head down to the lake district which we will spend the weekend near ambleside. I have looked at the nc500 but due to only having a week I'm not sure this is an option, I was maybe thinking going up central Scotland and back down the west coast, aim to spend most days travelling/site seeing and cover 50-100 miles a day? I know March could potentially be heavy snow in places so my options will have to be varied. Any advice on good campsites, must things to see and do and places to go and roads to travel on weather depending. Looking forward to any kind of feedback

Gosh - where to start! At all depends what you are looking for. I wouldn't try to go to the North Coast if you've only got 5 days. It's stunning but so are lots of more accessible places - and you won't need to dodge the crowds in March!

Personally I'd head for the West Coast. Maybe a circuit taking in Oban. Save the far North for when you have more time.

We like stunning scenery which looking at some photos posted on this site it all looks stunning, we was hoping to get up as far as Ullapool area? Isle of skye? I'm maybe been a bit optimistic lol,

Ardroil Beach Isle of Lewis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ullapool is a seriously long way. It's undoubtedly doable but there are many fantastic places on the west coast nearer to hand. Personally I love the islands. Skye is fantastic and reasonably accessible via the Mallaig ferry. But I also love Mull and Islay.

Wherever you end up you'll love it - well as long as it doesn't rain every day - it is Scotland ...........

Ullapool is a seriously long way. It's undoubtedly doable but there are many fantastic places on the west coast nearer to hand. Personally I love the islands. Skye is fantastic and reasonably accessible via the Mallaig ferry. But I also love Mull and Islay.

Wherever you end up you'll love it - well as long as it doesn't rain every day - it is Scotland ...........

Sunnyside Croft just south of Mallaig is a nice site with beautiful beaches. Sligachan is a big site on Skye, good stop off point for walking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over Rannoch Moor, to the Red Squirrel Campsite at Glencoe. Up the A87 to Eilean Donan Castle, then over Bealach na Bà (pass of the cattle) and down to Applecross. Some great roads and spots around there.

Many thanks for all your very helpful replies, skye is on our list, but when I've been looking on a map it looks like you can drive across? Is this correct or is it ferry only? Thank you

There is a ferry from Mallaig to Armadale on the South Eastern corner or the island or the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh further North. I would do bridge in one direction and ferry other direction to add to the scenic intake. I don't think the ferry is quicker even though it connects further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello wilde1,
How exciting for you.
We were up in Scotland last October for a mere few days. We left Kent on a Friday night driving until about one in the morning. We then wild camped near Lancaster and drove into Scotland on the Saturday wild camping again near Little Loch Broome in Wester Ross. On Sunday we took a slow drive along the Loch and took the coast road to Applecross spending Sunday night at the Camping site there. On Monday we drove up and over the stunning Applecross pass and then wound our way to the Isle of Skye. Having driven up the eastern side of Skye through Portree we drove up the picturesque single track road from Stenscholl to Uig where we spent the night in the camping site next to the port. On Tuesday we took the Calmac ferry to North Uist and spent that night in a hotel on Benbecula. On the Wednesday we drove down to South Uist and Eriskay and stopped when we ran out of island. After gazing accross at Barra (we did't have sufficient time to go there as well). We then retraced our steps and took the ferry to Harris, spending that night in the Harris hotel. Thursday found us driving round several Lewis tourist attractions (mostly all closed in October) before taking a Calmac RORO cargo ferry to Ullapool. After driving back down through Glasgow we eventually parked up and wilde camped in the Cairngorms. On Friday we drove down through Edinburgh to eventually arrive in York on Friday evening. We spent the Saturday in York guzzling tea and cakes in Betty's etc. On Sunday we drove home to Kent.
The only reason that I have mentioned all this is to give you an idea of where you could go and secondly to give you something by which you can gauge what you could do given the time you have available. None of the driving was carried out at speed, just a steady amble and we had plenty of time to stop for lenghty breaks and to take photos of Scotland in what was for the most part stunning weather.
Obviously the weather will be a critical factor when you go but if it isn't covered in ice and snow I thoroughly recommend the Applecross excursion. This route is breathtakingly stunning with views accross to Skye and the Outer Hebrides.

Best wishes and happy holidays

P.s We did get overtaken at great speed by several bods in high powered cars. I think that they may have been trying to do the nc500. Apparently this has become something that certain types try to do in the shortest time. According to what I has read the local police have measures in place.

Last edited:
Loving this thread as we are planning this for a significant birthday trip in March / April , visiting the places you guys have all listed . Although we are planning a cottage break in between this as we also have pooch with us making by it not as easy for hotel stops . Your post Paul is most helpful , thanks
Mrs Brindisi

Loving this thread as we are planning this for a significant birthday trip in March / April , visiting the places you guys have all listed . Although we are planning a cottage break in between this as we also have pooch with us making by it not as easy for hotel stops . Your post Paul is most helpful , thanks
Mrs Brindisi
Hello Lesley,
If you would like any further details please send me a PM. It was a truely great break. We are planning to do the inner Hebrides next June (providing that it isn't midge season). We only usually get the opportunity to get away for days rather than weeks due to grandparent duties. So we are looking forward to getting back up there soon.
We are currently enjoying a peacefull four night half term break in our Cali in North Norfolk. Well in a very comfortable B&B actually but using the Cali as our mobile picnic pavillion, tea room, beach hut and bird hide. Bl**dy marvelous.
Best wishes

Wow, loving all your responses, i have half made a route last night but just needs fine tuning and locate campsites for nightly stops, this is my rough route
SAT - Leave York 5am ish travel up via kielder forest, Jedburgh, carter bar up to Edingburgh then stop somewhere around the cairngorms. (big day driving)
SUN- Leave cairngorms, head up towards Inverness (maybe via a82 up the side of lochness) then over to Ullapool.
MON- Leave Ullapool, take the coast road down to applecross
TUES- Leave Applecross and over the bealach na-ba then head over to the isle of skye.
WED- Chill out day and tour the isle of skye
THURS- leave Skye via the ferry and head south, Fort William, loch lomand area.
FRI- Finally leave Scotland and head down to the Lakes and park the van up at the Croft in hawkshead and do some of our favourite walks ie tarns how, grizdale forest and of course our best pub in the lakes the Drunken Duck, aiming to spend Sat and Sun there and leave Monday morning back home!!!
Reading back through all of that sounds alot but think it will be fab, the crew is myself, my partner and our 8 month old boston terrier puppy called Elsie as we sadly lost our english bull terrier Florence in March last year.
once again many many thanks for all your input and advice and please let me know what you think of my rough route.

Wow, loving all your responses, i have half made a route last night but just needs fine tuning and locate campsites for nightly stops, this is my rough route
SAT - Leave York 5am ish travel up via kielder forest, Jedburgh, carter bar up to Edingburgh then stop somewhere around the cairngorms. (big day driving)
SUN- Leave cairngorms, head up towards Inverness (maybe via a82 up the side of lochness) then over to Ullapool.
TUES- Leave Applecross and over the bealach na-ba then head over to the isle of skye.
FRI- Finally leave Scotland and head down to the Lakes and park the van up at the Croft in hawkshead and do some of our favourite walks ie tarns how, grizdale forest and of course our best pub in the lakes the Drunken Duck, aiming to spend Sat and Sun there and leave Monday morning back home!!!
Reading back through all of that sounds alot but think it will be fab, the crew is myself, my partner and our 8 month old boston terrier puppy called Elsie as we sadly lost our english bull terrier Florence in March last year.
once again many many thanks for all your input and advice and please let me know what you think of my rough route.
That sounds perfect.

Hello Lesley,
If you would like any further details please send me a PM. It was a truely great break. We are planning to do the inner Hebrides next June (providing that it isn't midge season). We only usually get the opportunity to get away for days rather than weeks due to grandparent duties. So we are looking forward to getting back up there soon.
We are currently enjoying a peacefull four night half term break in our Cali in North Norfolk. Well in a very comfortable B&B actually but using the Cali as our mobile picnic pavillion, tea room, beach hut and bird hide. Bl**dy marvelous.
Best wishes
Lovely , one our favourite parts of England and was only there last week. Sent you a pm Paul

Sounds great - I'm jealous.

VW - hurry up and build my Cali!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When in Skye.... I'd recommend a walk up to the "Old Man of Storr."

IMG_8543.JPG

What a lovely picture!

Yes, superb pic. That part of the coast of Skye is stunning, including also the Quiraing. A Game of Thrones landscape. You'll quite likely see a golden eagle soaring above.

Skye has some truly lovely bits but don't forget that it can get pretty crowded except in the winter, while there is so much more splendour on offer across the whole of the Inner and Outer Hebrides which you're more likely to have to yourself and your Cali. Ferries between the islands are easy, and pretty good value.

May not work of course with OP's limited time frame this time. But even Lewis and Harris alone are worth a special trip. And I still haven't done Islay.

Apple cross is gorgeous, amazing but the roads are very narrow and twisty (like being in the alps).
I done a spot of wild camping at Apple cross as the campsite didn't look that appealing. You can park up right at the waters edge (there maybe a few big whites there) and there's a public toilet only a few minutes drive away.

That is a lovely picture Jonathan, just going of the topic slightly, what camera do you use as I've seen some of your other pictures and they are all stunning. One thing I am discovering is that a lot of campsites are closed until April which is worrying