Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland September trip 2020

What is the midge situation likely to be in September? Are there better and worse areas for midges in September?

Thanks in advance.

Re-planning my 2020 trip (Originally France) . Looking at Scotland from 11-9-20 to 23-9-20.
Looks like quite a few members have already been up this year . My plan is stopover en route , then on to climb Ben Nevis , (Glen Nevis site )then out to Skye followed by NC500 and then home .
Originally thought i could "wing it " as i go (normally what i do ) , but now thinking Scotland is going to be busy with motorhomes so thinking of organising my trip in advance . :(
Anyone else recently done anything similar and can recommend campsites and places of interest . Trying to space out sites , but still give myself time to visit places as well as take in the views . Had a quick look at sites today and have been shocked how many are not available , hence trying to organise asap now . Thanks.
Just returned from trip to Ardnamurchan via Mull. Whole trip couldn’t really be faulted. much less busy than NC 500 and no post camping rubbish anywhere to be seen.

Just returned from trip to Ardnamurchan via Mull. Whole trip couldn’t really be faulted. much less busy than NC 500 and no post camping rubbish anywhere to be seen.

That's welcome news. Good to hear that folks are not leaving rubbish behind.

We have just come back from a fabulous trip round the Cowal and Kintyre peninsula. It should have included Arran but storm Ellen put paid to that and the ferry was cancelled! We stayed on wonderful sites and the roads were really quiet. We chatted to a couple who did the NC500 and they found it overwhelmingly busy. I will do a longer post soon with advice on sites we stayed in. We just loved it. I also echo the post on Ardnamurchan. We were there last year and I did a long post on it which you can look at as well.

Re-planning my 2020 trip (Originally France) . Looking at Scotland from 11-9-20 to 23-9-20.
Looks like quite a few members have already been up this year . My plan is stopover en route , then on to climb Ben Nevis , (Glen Nevis site )then out to Skye followed by NC500 and then home .
Originally thought i could "wing it " as i go (normally what i do ) , but now thinking Scotland is going to be busy with motorhomes so thinking of organising my trip in advance . :(
Anyone else recently done anything similar and can recommend campsites and places of interest . Trying to space out sites , but still give myself time to visit places as well as take in the views . Had a quick look at sites today and have been shocked how many are not available , hence trying to organise asap now . Thanks.
We have just finished a 25 day trip of Northern and Western coasts of Scotland, including some of the NC 500, Western Isles and the Outer Hebrides - 2 adults, 1 teen and a Sheltie pup. The only crowded place we discovered was Skye. The Quiraing Road and Fairy Glen were chocca! Everywhere else, we rarely passed traffic and there were wild-camping spots aplenty!! Our advice is avoid the roads most travelled and popular tourist sites; steer off the NC 500 towards the coast at any opportunity; use ferries to cross lochs and make driving routes shorter; & don’t restrict yourself to only paid sites. Enjoy your trip!!!

From a newspaper. Suggested routes to show the rest of Scotland rather than rushing to follow the sheep.

20200830_143019.jpg

So got to Scotland today, thought I’ll swing by grey mare tail (Moffat) big mistake!
Well sort of, the main carpark packed and all parked on the road verge.
Drove 5mins on, 45DC6B4D-09A7-47FE-B721-F540EDF66408.jpeg464C10D7-7005-4491-8120-B68D5CABABDE.jpegDE0FE668-C8FA-4F1A-8651-D60AAA4B5DC5.jpegpure bliss. Not a soul and just as good a hike and waterfall.

Just returned home from a week doing the NC500. I can’t really comment on whether it was busier than normal as I don’t know what normal is !! Yes there were a lot of campers and big whites on the main routes but I didn’t book anything at all in advance and not one site I tried was full (maybe just lucky but i was there over a BH weekend). Midges only attacked me twice , once at Dunnet Head and once at Ardvreck Castle. I did 3 site stops, 1 britstop and 3 park ups from P4N. Really enjoyed , everywhere and everyone seemed welcoming and friendly (albeit covid conscious) and I thoroughly enjoyed.

D4D7FA25-7286-45A2-AAC2-DAB97A43E4B9.jpeg

1DADFD56-6C66-4728-A584-2CBC06C6806D.jpeg

74AA540F-0EB9-4284-A927-D45FA1FBA7EC.jpeg

CEFF5AE6-6475-4487-8559-BC7DB34060A1.jpeg

E63FB286-023B-4363-97A3-9EDA7AF2084E.jpeg

BF9DE87C-EEA8-4F83-BBC7-5AF5354BC3BB.jpeg

A678AE95-898F-4176-A107-51EE2D521627.jpeg

BF9ED725-1B92-4963-A281-E1D3655520BD.jpeg

We got back last week, only got bit on the last night at Loch Alsh. Didn't seem too busy but not sure whay busy is in the Highlands in August as not been for 30 years. It was beautiful but couldn't help thinking one loch looks very much like another.

Possibly just a sasanach philistine..

Heading to GMT tomorrow on route to West Linton, guess we will follow your advice and bypass the main car park. Can’t abide crowds!
If you need a stop-over in Moffat there is always The Green Frog, half way between an Aire and a Campsite. There is a cafe on site, useful for breakfast if you wish

Location 55.327377,-3.4397243 or https://goo.gl/maps/XJCcFUuE4pw