Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Screen covers

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Having had our Cali for a month or so now, our next purchase is a silverscreens external insulated windscreen cover.

We been using the vw supplied internal blinds no problem, but even a single night in the cali results in a significant amount of internal condensation, particularly on the inside of the windscreen.

Just before we order up the silverscreens cover, can any of the existing users confirm its effectiveness at reducing or eliminating this condensation issue?

:thanks

We have a TaylorMade ( Same as Silver Screen ) and yes, since using it we have never had condensation inside the van, we have never used it at very low temperatures though .. they are an excellent bit of kit and I would say definitely one of the essential accessories.

Another vote for TaylorMade...

We use all year round, including subzero temps.

In three years never had a major condensation issue.

Definitely recommend.
Rgds
Mark

Yet another vote for TaylorMade.

Not had condensation whilst using it.

my silver screen was worth the money . It does everything you need it to do. blackout, reflect heat ,cuts down condensation, stops frost .. i wouldn't say it retains heat in the cali ,due to it being outside .... Also it has a window in it ,so you can get light in without taking it off .. :thumb ;)

Good morning! just scanned previous threads about windscreen covers but still have a couple of questions .
Do any of them help keep the van cooler in hot weather? ( am hoping to see sunshine soon ;) )
What sort of size/shape do they pack down too?
How quick to take on and off?
Cheers!

I have a silver screen ,but the Taylor made version is the same and they are thermo covers good for black out reflecting the sun before it gets to the screen ..mine also folds down ,so if u want some light in you don't have to take it off :) ... Not the smallest ,but its been a good bit of kit for me and comes with a bag ...

Nick at comfortz is now making these :thumb

Our Cali came with a set of silver screens and we've never had any condensation - even overnighting with the roof down and snowing at -9C outside.

They 'puff' up' a bit when unpacked, presumably this aids the insulation but they do take up a bit of room in the van. Also, I wouldn't like to try and open the front doors once they are fitted snugly for fear of ripping something. Wouldn't be without them, though.

They go on very quickly and easily, provide excellent blackout (unlike the stock VW internal fabric blinds) and I'm sure that they would reduce the cabin temperature in sunshine - if we actually had any sunshine!

Disadvantages though, for wild camping they couldn't really be more obvious and if you need to make a quick getaway you have to exit the vehicle to remove them. I also heard that as an external fitting they were frowned on at motorhome aires abroad but we didn't have any issues in France and saw others using external silver covers as well.

If anyone knows a company who make a black cover for the internal VW spring-up blinds, I'd like to know, again because in the untinted windows these are a bit too obvious for wild camping. Obviously, at an official aire or a campsite this isn't an issue.

They will be the same as the silver screen paragon ones :thumb

Hello Folks,

Yes we had so many requests at COTF from everyone to produce a thermal and reflective windscreen cover. So, by the end of next week we'll have the two options for sale - our privacy windscreen covers made from the same material as the Cali-Topper (grey and black - picture below) and also a thermal reflective windscreen cover similar to the others on the market. – Although we're working on getting our thermal cover to fold down a bit smaller than the others out there.

I should have some pictures and prices on the thermal windscreen cover by the end of next week.

Cheers :thumb
Nick

Caliwindscreencover_zps0dca8ea3.jpg

Attachments

• Caliwindscreencover_zps0dca8ea3.jpg
    Caliwindscreencover_zps0dca8ea3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 14
I look forward to the windscreen thermal blind :thumb

I am contemplating getting the silver thermal windscreen cover from the forum shop in preparation for our trip to Italy next month. Will this fit properly with the VW wind deflectors fitted to the doors? How will the cover affect the air flow when the front windows are left wound down by a couple of inches during the night?

I am contemplating getting the silver thermal windscreen cover from the forum shop in preparation for our trip to Italy next month. Will this fit properly with the VW wind deflectors fitted to the doors? How will the cover affect the air flow when the front windows are left wound down by a couple of inches during the night?

Open your side windows and fit the fly screens. Yes they fit over the deflectors well they do ours. If its going to rain I use the A post blinds and open the driver/passenger windows a couple of inches with the deflectors.
If its hot/dry I use the silver screens and open the side windows plus the fly screens.

Works for us. Others may differ.

Thanks for the confirmation.
How is the air flow affected?
Any idea of the size when folded and in its carry bag?

Jack , the screen obvious covers up the sidewindows and reduce airflow , however with the screen fitted you can leave both the side door window open pretty good seald to bugs and fly's and still have some ventilation . Also you can open up (fold the screen away) on the side the sun has disappeard ...
When in the bag almost everyone stores it inbetween a campingchair in the boothdoor.
It's worth having when in extreme heat , keeping the sun away from the glass is the best thing to keep the themp. down in the Cali.

The nice thing on the thermalscreen in the clubshop is the perfect fit an very good attatchment over the side doors and the outside mirrors.

Back