soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Seat covers...?
I never had any in my last van and when it came to selling the vehicle, they cleaned up pretty well. That’s 6 years of grime...

Looking at some of the covers available, they do appear expensive and I’m not sure I want to cover up the chairs anyway.
They look pleasant enough as standard.

So for and against.
Does anyone just cover the rear seat, or perhaps you throw a blanket over and that’s it done...?

Last edited:
My opinion is that the seats are too nice to cover up and preserve for the next owner, so we decided against covers. Personally I’d only want the second skin covers and the price point is too high for my liking.

Some people will suggest a set of good covers can be sold on when you no longer have the van, so can’t disagree with that. However, my view is that a good valeter will be able to sort out most marks and for the cost of the best covers you’d get a fair few upholstery valets.

We have two kids, so already there are a few splatters of juice etc, but it’s a camper van and we intend using it as such. We have looked at the neoprene covers surfers use in their day vans, but at the moment we just use beach towels on the seats when eating in the van.

My opinion is that the seats are too nice to cover up and preserve for the next owner, so we decided against covers. Personally I’d only want the second skin covers and the price point is too high for my liking.

Some people will suggest a set of good covers can be sold on when you no longer have the van, so can’t disagree with that. However, my view is that a good valeter will be able to sort out most marks and for the cost of the best covers you’d get a fair few upholstery valets.

We have two kids, so already there are a few splatters of juice etc, but it’s a camper van and we intend using it as such. We have looked at the neoprene covers surfers use in their day vans, but at the moment we just use beach towels on the seats when eating in the van.

I am of the same thinking.
I bought the van and want to have the original coverings on show. Why preserve for someone else...?
A guy I used to detail my van a couple of years back, done a great job of bringing the interior back to life. Infact probably looked better than when I originally bought it from Volkswagen :headbang

I am of the same thinking.
I bought the van and want to have the original coverings on show. Why preserve for someone else...?
A guy I used to detail my van a couple of years back, done a great job of bringing the interior back to life. Infact probably looked better than when I originally bought it from Volkswagen :headbang
I hear what you are saying, we bought a used van and at viewing I was disgusted at the state they presented it to us...two weeks later at pick up they had barely cleaned it, despite assurances to the contrary, so I was told to take it or leave it! It took me a good day to get it to a standard where I’d let the kids into it, but there you go, that’s VW Commercial for you!

I hear what you are saying, we bought a used van and at viewing I was disgusted at the state they presented it to us...two weeks later at pick up they had barely cleaned it, despite assurances to the contrary, so I was told to take it or leave it! It took me a good day to get it to a standard where I’d let the kids into it, but there you go, that’s VW Commercial for you!

OMG...!!!

That’s a VW Commercial for you. Which one as a matter of interest?

Mike

That’s a VW Commercial for you. Which one as a matter of interest?

Mike

Brum...the state of the vehicle was only the half of it, but no point opening old wounds :mute

We have the second skin cover on the rear bench only (where the nipper sits). Kind of a compromise as we like the original seats, but found anything Brandrup-tagged massively overpriced. I’d rather go all out for a leather interior than pay for those and the low quality covers don’t protect and make the car look like an airport taxi.

Did have the Inka covers for a while but hated them, especially on a warm day. Ok if it’s a builders van during the day maybe!

Thought I’d get the front second skin covers but I never have so I probably won’t now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't bother with seat covers in my previous Cali, only occasionally sticking them on when I was proper muddy (post bike ride).

With my newer van, bought ex-demo, I've had the seat treated with protector, plus just bought some 2nd hand seat covers off this site.

My plan is to use the uncovered seats, they are Alcantera and why would I cover them? Then, for the bike racing season (starts in September, finishers in Feb) I'll probably leave the covers on and leave it that way.

So, for day to day use, normal use.....I want to enjoy the plush interior and am not bothered about leaving it completely spotless for the next owner, but when I'll be proper muddy then just for ease of use I'll stick the covers on and jump in and out without worry.

I hate covering my seats up I like the Moonrock design but...
A muddy dog and wanting to USE the vehicle dictates otherwise because I'd hate to ruin them even more so.
So its the more naff waterproofs for me.

We have the second skin cover on the rear bench only (where the nipper sits). Kind of a compromise as we like the original seats, but found anything Brandrup-tagged massively overpriced. I’d rather go all out for a leather interior than pay for those and the low quality covers don’t protect and make the car look like an airport taxi.

Did have the Inka covers for a while but hated them, especially on a warm day. Ok if it’s a builders van during the day maybe!

Thought I’d get the front second skin covers but I never have so I probably won’t now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick question, did you have to remove the headrests to fit the second skin cover on the rear bench?
Many thanks

I've got the Brandrup covers but never bothered with the
headrest ones, i removed my rear ones completely and any
tall people that must travel in the back must sign a disclaimer
in case we get rear ended :D

You do NOT need to remove the rear headrests to fit the second skins - they slip over them neatly
The two seat Beach second skins will not fit the SE or Ocean otherwise you are correct.

When the kids stopped sleeping in a junior sized crib I realised that the fitted sheets 120x60 fit perfectly on the rear bench seat. They are now in the van drawer and stop the dirty feet marks when the little ones climb up and down from their child seats. Easy to change and wash, and much cheaper than a whole set of fitted covers!

hmm, i was about to pull the trigger on cali-shop premium GTI ones... These look pretty good though. And about half the price. It's quite hard to tell how different the quality is from these photos.

hmm, i was about to pull the trigger on cali-shop premium GTI ones... These look pretty good though. And about half the price. It's quite hard to tell how different the quality is from these photos.

I'll be honest, they're not quite the quality that the cali-shop ones look to be, but as you say they are much cheaper (especially for my 7 seat beach!).

I would also add that the cali-shop are a "GTI style", but are not a true Golf GTI replica pattern & it was important to me that my set matched the Golf GTI pattern exactly....