Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second Roadtrip in our 680 4Motion

A

Adeybruce

Vehicle
Grand California 680
We’ve just undertaken our second road trip in our van, taking it up to a total of around 2,500 miles, so getting to know it pretty well. We did a loop from Izmir heading to Lake Bafa, Dimim, Milli Park and Bodrum.
4Motion tested a few times with camping on beaches, but I’m now sure the retracting step will have to be retired soon before I end up ripping it off. Fuel economy settling on a 29MPG average, and that’s will mud/snow tyres.
The front/rear and side sensors (and camera) have proved handy negotiating some pretty tight spaces.
The Drive is superb, lots of power and super comfortable. Anyway, I’ve added a few pics.

755C3BE2-3118-4F4A-8867-7CE40D6F0787.jpeg

869CC6C8-DF93-4318-8AAF-0784AE864A88.jpeg

19CB7D0A-0637-4BC2-AEEC-C057B4373B26.jpeg

8A9102B2-8EE6-4C80-80E4-703738169732.jpeg

39336053-005A-4B19-82AF-B0D20458AF09.jpeg

D42289F0-5F4D-402D-8E47-B8F73AA4EFC1.jpeg

ED0BF45D-70B3-44FD-9A32-16BBB5EFA393.jpeg

5CCCBDA4-2098-4B87-9C11-17D802B34F12.jpeg

59511969-0048-4D26-A130-55CB8960759F.jpeg

9089BE89-E0CE-4AA2-B3D1-DC561377639C.jpeg

One thing I picked up on is how hot does it get inside? I see all the windows and vents are open on most photos and do you think the opening rear windows as an extra is a must? P.s what was the temp in Bodrum.

One thing I picked up on is how hot does it get inside? I see all the windows and vents are open on most photos and do you think the opening rear windows as an extra is a must? P.s what was the temp in Bodrum.
It’s about 25 degrees, and pure sunshine so it does warm up inside. Between all the windows and vents it’s been easy to keep it cool - and we’re quite sensitive about this because of the dog.
As for rear windows, only the 680 has them. The optional extra 2 are great to add to the sense of space and views from bed. Because of the sliding door, one of them doesn’t open so I guess they don’t add much ventilation. Glad I’ve got them though.

Lovely photos and love the van happy travels

This is invaluable stuff for us (minded towards the 680 4M). Thanks for the real-life testing and keep it coming!
I have to say, you are selling it well so far.

Why do you say that about the step?

This is invaluable stuff for us (minded towards the 680 4M). Thanks for the real-life testing and keep it coming!
I have to say, you are selling it well so far.

Why do you say that about the step?
Realistically the step is going to be removed - seems simple enough. It reduces the ground- clearance at just about the worst place possible.
its possible to lift the body of the van (though not the running gear) about 40mm, and bigger wheels can give it another 20mm - that should help up dirt tracks.
More trips to follow in next few weeks. Glad you liked the photos, was worried I was posting too many.

Realistically the step is going to be removed - seems simple enough. It reduces the ground- clearance at just about the worst place possible.
its possible to lift the body of the van (though not the running gear) about 40mm, and bigger wheels can give it another 20mm - that should help up dirt tracks.
More trips to follow in next few weeks. Glad you liked the photos, was worried I was posting too many.
Definitely not too many pictures it looks the dogs,
How u getting on with the rear overhead cupboards looking at the one at the nec in Birmingham I couldn’t see what we would be bc able to fit in them?
But what a stunning looking van

Dear Adeybruce,

I will be working in Ankara for 2-3 years and want to take a GC with me. Did you take the ferry from Ancona? I was told they stopped it? Also, you have Turkish plates. Did you get the GC registered in TUR or did you bring them to pick up the GC in Germany? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

Michael, great news that you’re coming to Turkey. The easiest route (balance of time, distance and export rules) made Ancona the easiest option for me. From there to Igoumenitsa, and drive across Greece and into Turkey (it meant I left the EU only once, and direct into Turkey). You could also drive to Athens and then get the ferry to Chios, then Cesme - but that was more complicated that I wanted.
the good news for you is that you won’t be the first GC to be registered in Turkey - that was me! I have Turkish plates, but I have a UK government job so the process may different (or at least the import process). I’m sure you’re aware you’ll be outside of the warranty area.
I’ve done the drive twice (once via Cesme in my car); let me know if you need any info. In fact, let me know your email and I’ll send you my route plan etc.

Definitely not too many pictures it looks the dogs,
How u getting on with the rear overhead cupboards looking at the one at the nec in Birmingham I couldn’t see what we would be bc able to fit in them?
But what a stunning looking van
Yep, those cupboard are pretty small. Thankfully in the 680 there’s tons of storage, so you won’t be too upset. The ones above the kitchen work well for jar, herbs, tins etc. The other ones take bedtime stuff and underware, rolled up clothes. I’ll add some photos next time I’m away in it

I'm not in the market for a GC, but that's a great looking van & a wonderful trip - thanks for sharing, have fun!

Michael, great news that you’re coming to Turkey. The easiest route (balance of time, distance and export rules) made Ancona the easiest option for me. From there to Igoumenitsa, and drive across Greece and into Turkey (it meant I left the EU only once, and direct into Turkey). You could also drive to Athens and then get the ferry to Chios, then Cesme - but that was more complicated that I wanted.
the good news for you is that you won’t be the first GC to be registered in Turkey - that was me! I have Turkish plates, but I have a UK government job so the process may different (or at least the import process). I’m sure you’re aware you’ll be outside of the warranty area.
I’ve done the drive twice (once via Cesme in my car); let me know if you need any info. In fact, let me know your email and I’ll send you my route plan etc.

Thank you!

I will be moving with a gov job too. I have a choice between Ankara and Amman. But we can continue on glueck.michael@+++++.com.

and yes the guarantee: at least you can hop over to Greece into the EU which I believe is covered...

We’ve just undertaken our second road trip in our van, taking it up to a total of around 2,500 miles, so getting to know it pretty well. We did a loop from Izmir heading to Lake Bafa, Dimim, Milli Park and Bodrum.
4Motion tested a few times with camping on beaches, but I’m now sure the retracting step will have to be retired soon before I end up ripping it off. Fuel economy settling on a 29MPG average, and that’s will mud/snow tyres.
The front/rear and side sensors (and camera) have proved handy negotiating some pretty tight spaces.
The Drive is superb, lots of power and super comfortable. Anyway, I’ve added a few pics.

View attachment 52255

View attachment 52256

View attachment 52257

View attachment 52258

View attachment 52259

View attachment 52260

View attachment 52261

View attachment 52262

View attachment 52263

View attachment 52264

View attachment 52255

View attachment 52256

View attachment 52257

View attachment 52258

View attachment 52259

View attachment 52260

View attachment 52261

View attachment 52262

View attachment 52263

View attachment 52264
Do you find the bathroom big enough?
Great pictures

Great pics and I envy your trip.

We have recently purchased a Knaus Boxdrive, clocked up over 1000 miles in a couple of trips. Totally agree, the Crafter is a fabulous van. My average MPG is mid 20”s but I have been doing some towing.

She’s crying out for some nice wheels though, will you be adding some?

I went up 1” on the wheels to 17’s, hasn’t harmed the ride but has totally transformed the looks of the vehicle...

3FDCCFD6-3DC1-4399-A253-AD2AF713F15D.jpeg

Do you find the bathroom big enough?
Great pictures
Yes, for sure. I’d be disappointed if it was bigger as it would steal room from elsewhere. I like that it’s simple and easy to clean - just spray the shower head around and let it drain away.

Great pics and I envy your trip.

We have recently purchased a Knaus Boxdrive, clocked up over 1000 miles in a couple of trips. Totally agree, the Crafter is a fabulous van. My average MPG is mid 20”s but I have been doing some towing.

She’s crying out for some nice wheels though, will you be adding some?

I went up 1” on the wheels to 17’s, hasn’t harmed the ride but has totally transformed the looks of the vehicle...

View attachment 52496
I was tempted with the Boxdrive as it looks like it would take a roof rack.

Bigger wheels and tyres coming, once I fit a lift kit: should give an extra 60mm ground clearance.

Back