Seen it all now.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion

And Falcon Heavy’s 3 rocket boosters all returned to Earth and landed under control.

One of two things.....
Utterly amazing or fake news!

I prefer to think its the former - exciting!

And Falcon Heavy’s 3 rocket boosters all returned to Earth and landed under control.
I agree it was amazing, but I think that the third booster made a heavy landing - it was still doing about 300 MPH when it hit the deck.

If it survives re-entry lets hope they can land it next to a recharging point. :thumb
The car's just space litter. But the landing of the boosters (well two of them anyway) was pretty impressive.
I agree very impressive indeed. However whilst marvelling at the achievement, I'm left wondering how much of the environmental savings supposedly achieved by his energy efficient cars has he wiped out by lighting the blue touch paper on that monster. Just a thought.

If it survives re-entry lets hope they can land it next to a recharging point. :thumb

I agree very impressive indeed. However whilst marvelling at the achievement, I'm left wondering how much of the environmental savings supposedly achieved by his energy efficient cars has he wiped out by lighting the blue touch paper on that monster. Just a thought.
Or his private jet etc, at least he tries to reuse his boosters. I thought all the great and the good offset anyway, presumably his minions are planting several thousand trees as we type.

I've just read somewhere on the web that it's be announced that the reason the third rocket failed to land correctly was due to insufficient fuel remaining to slow it down.

I've just read somewhere on the web that it's be announced that the reason the third rocket failed to land correctly was due to insufficient fuel remaining to slow it down.

It was probably running on supermarket diesel :shocked

One of the most awesome things I've ever seen (especially the synchronised swimming like return of the 2 side boosters) - and to think it's all down to the inspiration of 70's British culture. Bowie, Douglas Adams, Iain Banks.... OK he also had some Asimov on there.

They even put a towel in the glove box - talk about attention to detail.

Truly outstanding. If only I could invest my SIPP in SpaceX.

Quite a bit of interest on the lotus forums about this - the tesla basically being an electric version of the Lotus Elise. Its amazing how a set of door mirrors designed for a mini metro end up in space!

It would be interesting to see how much of the car is actually there - the wipers have gone missing & you can see daylight through the from wheels where the brakes should be.

I'd be interested to know how many like me, didn't know it was happening and aren't particularly interested? Am I totally out of step with the rest of humanity?

the tesla basically being an electric version of the Lotus Elise. Its amazing how a set of door mirrors designed for a mini metro end up in space!
I noticed on another site that somewhere on a Tesla site they refute the idea it's a Lotus and actually enumerate the parts that were used - something like 5% or so is actually a Lotus Elise. Obviously there's probably a lot of design carryover but newly specced parts.

Am I totally out of step with the rest of humanity?
No, just interested in other things. Everyone to their own. People interested in technology and stuff found it fascinating and I defy anyone to watch the return of the boosters to land upright at Cape Canaveral not to think wow!

I'd be interested to know how many like me, didn't know it was happening and aren't particularly interested? Am I totally out of step with the rest of humanity?

No, just out of step with those possessing a geek gene. So at least half the people on this site. ;)

To put my own cards on table, my top film of all time = Apollo 13.

The video link I posted has some excellent footage as you go along, especially 30 minutes +.

Didn't Richard Hamond and James May do something similar with a Reliant Robin?

Although a slightly less successful outcome you can see where Musk got the idea from. :thumb

Apparently it’s fake news:

SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket launch was FAKED by Elon Musk, insist Flat Earth Society conspiracy theorists
Evening Standard

Conspiracy theorists who believe Earth is flat have branded Elon Musk’s astonishing Falcon Heavy space mission as fake and nothing more than a “good car ad”. Read the full story