Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Selling a T5 SE - advice sought

Victor_Tango_

Victor_Tango_

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Having taken delivery of our Starlight Blue T6.1 Ocean my plan was to fix up the few niggling issues with our beloved 2007 T5 SE with 81k miles and sell it privately.

Although I've taken care of the big thing (new exhaust) there are a number of small things that I just don't have time/expertise to sort out. It's tricky even to find the time to research places that could sort them out as they're not things a garage would look at.

So if it's appropriate, I thought I would consult the infinite wisdom of the boards for advice.

If you were in my boat would you:

* Sell privately as-is (sold as seen, with a list of the issues)?
* Try to find somewhere that can sort the issues all at once, then sell privately? (any ideas of where might do this gratefully received...)
* Find a dealer to sell to who could presumably sort these things out?

The issues are:

Headlining coming away (cab only). Probably needs to be redone. Same with the bit of cloth trim in the boot.
Sliding door doesn't open from the inside.
Sliding door a little stiff on its rollers.
Sliding door table clip not holding the table in.
One front speaker not working.
Control panel has lines on display but works well.
One bit of vinyl blanking on the outside needs to be redone.

Good points:
Van itself in good condition (engine, drivetrain etc) with no issues lurking
All major camping components working well: batteries in good condition (100w solar on roof), gas, fridge, heater, etc.
Full leather upholstery (done by a previous owner; so much more comfortable than the T6.1)
Great head unit with lovely big screen wireless
Looks great (imo)

Last edited:
Depends on what you’re after I don’t suppose the control panel is cheap

I think theres'a company in the Netherlands that repairs them for about £120

I think theres'a company in the Netherlands that repairs them for about £120
There is a company in Folkestone who does repairs on the control panel https://www.electronicequipmentrepair.com/repairs

I would say you definitely need to get the door working properly as that would turn a lot of people off of buying. But the other things sound like they don't affect function much so you could probably sell it with those like that, they do still work just not properly... but it will look scruffy and give people some good reasons to vid you down.

Yes I think on balance it's better to suck it up and get everything done somehow. Just don't like the idea of selling a scruffy van with any issues. Thanks all.

Also, Kernow transporters in Cornwall are great chaps with a wealth of California experience.

Back