Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

selling up

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Interesting we have had 14 new classified adds since sat morning everyone giving up camping?

Maybe trying to take advantage of the anticipated high demand for stay cations?

We’ve considered the fact that we have a very expensive vehicle on the drive which we are not using, not providing us very good value. With campsites opening shortly, we have three consecutive weekends booked from the 4th.

Given the fact that we have little or not trips last year because of my daughters GCSE’s taking up the summer. We have not had anywhere near the value we expected from using the camper.

I have considered selling for these reasons but think we have now decided against it.

A song by Abba
Money money money...must be funny ...in the rich man's world

Some probally can't affort it anymore ...
Others think selling now with less Cali's availeble at VW now is the time to sell at high price buying new later as many have the Cali staying on the driveway for the summer anyway

Last edited:
Buying a new VW California is a considered purchase anyway. I suppose if you worked it out it would be cheaper to rent one sooner than buy..And the same as everyone else we haven’t used our van since the end of February when I put it on SORN.. Saved about £100 doing that..But from the beginning of July I’m going to Tax it again as in Wales hopefully the easing of the 5 mile rule will come to an end although it it doesn’t look like overnight stays anywhere are going to be allowed yet...Can’t wait to take it back out on the road again...

I thought of selling mine but going to Tax it next week and hope to be out in it on Saturday.

I could put my beach up for sale, as it's not been used properly for some time, and as people say it's an expensive bit of kit sitting on the drive. But I bought as a long term "investment" the kids are still young enough that we will get use out of it and enjoy it.
Once lockdown is eased off we go :thumb

There have been a lot of enquiries. i sold a 2010 se 5 years ago for £32,500 they are still selling for that today

And some for considerably more.. there are people advertising leggy T5 se for 28k, no idea if they are selling.

I'm nearly in a position to buy, with a budget of around 30k. There have been 4 or 5 nice sub 30k T5.1s for sale recently, so prices do look to be softening (hopefully as a buyer).

This looks interesting but wondering what I'm missing..

And some for considerably more.. there are people advertising leggy T5 se for 28k, no idea if they are selling.

I'm nearly in a position to buy, with a budget of around 30k. There have been 4 or 5 nice sub 30k T5.1s for sale recently, so prices do look to be softening (hopefully as a buyer).

This looks interesting but wondering what I'm missing..

Seems high mileage for the age. Could be an ex rental? Looks like the front has had some upgrades or ‘repairs’. I would personally avoid.

Even an ex rental I wouldn't expect that mileage. Also did '10 plate vans have electric sliding door?
Looks genuine enough and priced well with that mileage.

Thought about selling prompted by as high a resale as likely to see for sometime. Not used it much in the 18 months owned but decided to stick as I havent done what I wanted with it. No doubt will cost me but .....

Even an ex rental I wouldn't expect that mileage. Also did '10 plate vans have electric sliding door?
Looks genuine enough and priced well with that mileage.

It's a 2013, so not sure on the door? High miles yes, but it has got to be 10k below a van with sensible miles example on here. Just waiting on the buyer to collect my T4 westy, but if its clean and doesn't have a history I'd be having a look.

It's a 2013, so not sure on the door? High miles yes, but it has got to be 10k below a van with sensible miles example on here. Just waiting on the buyer to collect my T4 westy, but if its clean and doesn't have a history I'd be having a look.
‘High’ miles explains the price point, although high miles doesn’t seem to something to necessarily be concerned about in these vans - lots of 300km and 400km Cali examples for sale on the continent. Also manual versus DSG. DSG usually adds about £2k to prices, fairly consistently over different ages of Calis

Market seems to be a Sellers one at present both for Cali's and converted VW vans.
Seen reports that getting a van converted this season is impossible due to demand and waiting lists. Quotes of as much as 12 month wait from some Converters.

Good fortune to anyone who has decided to sell, be careful as there are many scammers active.

I see @Martin just sold his

Interesting we have had 14 new classified adds since sat morning everyone giving up camping?
Obviously people have not been able to use their vans as they would like the last 3 months, we’ve had 4 trips cancelled in that time. Additionally it seems there will be continuing restrictions possibly for the remainder of the year. None of this would remotely make us consider selling our Beach, we are in this for the long hall. Yes we are desperate to be able to get away but we also get tremendous enjoyment from using the van as a day tripper. So definitely no we aren’t giving up camping :)

I see @Martin just sold his

Sadly mine went on Saturday to its new owners , I have camped very little over the past 18 months, work and and a house move is taking up most of my time at the moment and I couldn't see myself getting away in the van any time soon

Hopefully be getting another one next year

Sold mine to a dealer not too much of a financial loss. - 102ps 5 speed basic spec and hopelessly underpowered. couldn't wait to get rid. bought on a whim couple of years ago. Should have read the reviews first! Might get a proper one when things improve!

I have considered moving up a size so I have a loo and shower, many other doing the same I guess. I wont though :)

Sounds like you’ve been through the mill. If I could afford it, I would keep the Cali (sounds like you’re proud of it) and either continue to commute in it or get an inexpensive small car for commuting. You never know when you might want to get away for a day trip/weekend/longer trip. The Cali can be ready to go when circumstances are right.

Back