Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service due in 30 days what to do?

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
My service indicator came on to say my inspection service is due in 30 days? ( Is that full service? ) Also my warranty expires in 50 days and ideally wanted to have van checked before it expires, if I dont drive the van will that 30 days stay on 30 days if the van does not move? Is there a problem if I go over the 30 days. Thanks in advance

You need to check the details of the warranty.

Typically they insist that a flagged service must occur within 1000miles of the service being flagged.

The van knows the actual date, so will likely tick down. It might depend on what service regime is actually programmed in to the Cali i.e. Fixed/Annual or Flexible servicing.

Many of the VW van centres allow you to book a service online. So you can set a date when you would like it to occur. Then if VW centres are still closed, you will have something to show your original intent and perhaps get some goodwill re the warranty should you need it.

Mine is booked in for the week after next, can't see it happening and the e mail address of the dealer is no longer working (Parkway VW)

Vehicle showrooms closed but Servicing is still permitted under latest restrictions.

Got this far (and a bit further but as I didn't want a service stopped) try your own details to see if possible.

I had my Cali serviced (30,000) on Wednesday by Vindis at Northampton. I understand that following a dealer meeting they have decided to stay open with skeleton staff and concentrating on vehicles for “essential personell”
Paper work passed through the gap in door. I was allowed to actually touch some equipment, but that was so they could take payment!

Ours was booked in for a service today at Sinclair VW Gorsenion (Wales) they phoned us on Thursday to cancel as they were closing on Friday.

If you go over the 30 days the van will self combust unfortunately :)
No seriously Just drive it and get it serviced when you’re able to it’s only a service counter

My service indicator came on to say my inspection service is due in 30 days? ( Is that full service? ) Also my warranty expires in 50 days and ideally wanted to have van checked before it expires, if I dont drive the van will that 30 days stay on 30 days if the van does not move? Is there a problem if I go over the 30 days. Thanks in advance
My van T6 Ocean is on variable service. First service inspection and oil change has to be done after one year. From there the "inspection" warning came after 12 months but the change oil told me I had 14000 miles left. Spoke to VW dealer they told me NOT having the inspection done will not void the extended warranty. Just don't miss the oil change! Inspection only involves simple visual check of fluids brake pads tyres . On another issue don't forget about the air con system which is not part of the VW servicing. Google aircon servicing to find out what is required. Often over looked until too late and expensive damage done

....ours was having an air con service too. £90 which is about the right price.
The Cali isn't going anywhere soon so just wait it out.

....ours was having an air con service too. £90 which is about the right price.
The Cali isn't going anywhere soon so just wait it out.

So is the inspection not a full service? I had oil ( interim )service done 12 months ago and on the invoice it says next service due June 2021

Last edited:
NOTE: I am on the variable service plan and the long life oil will last 25,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first subject to "normal" driving conditions. HOWEVER I will change the long life oil every other year myself when oil change is not demanded by the Oil Needs servicing light on the dash.

Simple to do. Just pump the oil out via the dip stick tube, which Is easier than pulling off the under guard to get to the sump plug. I don't bother changing the oil filter.

I can pump out 8 litres, so about 1 litre left behind. Put in new castrol edge oil as per VW specification. Cost 8 litres of oil from Amazon £60 (oil vacuum pump one purchase £26).

So the total cost to change oil myself £140 first time, then £120 thereafter, oh and a few calories.

VW Dealer price to change oil and oil filter over £270 each time.

Local non franchised garage will charge £36 labour if I supply the oil which is reasonable.

Suggestion for those not using your Vans at present.

Then if oil is more than a year old I would pump it out and replace with new. Then take out for a last run out say over 30 miles at 60mph plus.

Pump out oil when cold NOT hot! Modern oils less viscous when cold. Also leaving to cool allows more oil to drain into the sump. I know this seems counter intuitive for old school mechanics used to regular oils

....it was an oil & filter service. The Cali is on long life oil service.
We have had our Cali a year ( almost)
It had a service not long before we bought it. ( 2008 se 174 )
We have done a total of just over 6,000 miles & although the oil should still be good I don't know how it was driven by the previous owner (short, long, stop start journeys) Getting an oil,filter and air con service gives me a platform to work out future servicing in accordance with our use of the Cali.

Back