Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sherwood or Notts Camping

RodCouncil

A Brit in Sweden
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Looking at stopping here on route to Edinburgh from Brighton, anyone have any good mid point recommendations, I'm thinking Sherwood Pines.

This is my neck of the woods. The place that does not exist in anyone's consciousness, apart from those who live here. The place people do not even realise they have passed through, the North East Midlands. I live in Nottinghamshire, but the TV area is Yorkshire, the nearest city is Lincoln. Derbyshire, South Yorks, Lincolnshire are all within a few miles.

Clumber park is a national trust property with a caravan club site in the middle. Very quiet as it is a former grand estate and a great place for wildlife, walks, hiring bikes, there is an hour long walk round a lake with lots of ducks/ swans etc .... It is just off the A1 but the campsite is deep in the park. Open to members and non members.

There is a little village about 6 miles south (also less than one mile off the a1, but one roundabout South of clumber park, the one with the McDonalds and two Shell Stations) called Milton, there is an excellent butchers in it that has won numerous awards for its sausages and pies

Mellors Farm Shop
Milton
Next to West Markham
Newark
NG22 0PP
United Kingdom

This general area where North Nottinghamshire meets Lincolnshire is superb for free range pork products. The holiest of holies is a place called Porters on Newark market square. Newark is also right next to the A1. This place smokes bacon in its basement and roasts coffee on the ground floor. The smell is intoxicating. It is a step back in time to a 19th century provisions shop with all manner of superb pork products, like long forgotten cuts of bacon, Lincolnshire sausages, Lincolnshire haslet. The triple smoked bacon is fabulous and I take enormous quantities of it to my mates whenever I visit them, I get it vacuum packed so it keeps for ages.

If pork ain't your thing, this is on the edge of Stilton country so Porters also sells excellent local cheeses. Great preserves too.

Caravan Site Description

Address
Lime Tree Avenue,Clumber Park,Worksop,Nottinghamshire,S80 3AE
01909 484758
Pitches (what are these?)
Total pitches 178
Hardstanding 87
Max length = 9 metres
A great feeling of spaciousness can be found at Clumber Park Caravan Club Site, which is settled on 20 acres within a generous 4,000 acres of lush parkland, where you can walk, cycle or ride. The caravan site has a popular play area and enjoys an attractive setting surrounded by woodland. Children are particularly liable to enjoy Clumber Park as it is part of what was once Sherwood Forest and the reminders of the area's most famous resident, Robin Hood are plentiful.

On the park there is cylce hire and an indoor play area for the younger children, also a Discovery Centre and Aventure play area.
We have fishing around the Lake from the middle of June.
You can sit and enjoy a coffee or even have a bite to eat at the Cafe.
Directions

By Car : 4½ miles south-east of Worksop, 6½ miles south-west of Retford, 1 mile from A1/A57, 11 miles from M1 exit 30

By Train: Worksop 4½ miles; Retford 6½ miles

Another vote for Clumber Park...

Been there a few times and used it as a base for a few cycle trips.

Nice location.

Rgds

Mark

Not sure Clumber Park allow ppl to rock up so late at night, I know the park well after doing a 12m stint in Worksop on a project.

This stop is arrive between 22:00 and 00:00 then dust off at 06:00am and onwards to Glentress, hectic weekend.

I would just kip in a service station for that kind of stop. But I am that kind of classy ;)

dan

It usually costs around a tenner for more than 2 hours. Cheaper than most campsites, plus you save a bundle of time by not having to get off the motorway.

If you are a Worksop kind of cat, just pull up in A1 elkesley northbound in the layby with the artic drivers, they will show you a good time.

Gavtol
A few years ago I took 36 acres of pine and larch trees down "The Birk Rows" removed the roots as well, Oh! what a luverly Fire we had. NT land it was put back to arable for the local farmer ,real nice chap .
I also take a lot off timber to Worksop sawmill for to be sawn into chocks. Happy days :D

Worksop is struggling these days, the pit closures have never been sorted with new industries or jobs. Nice to hear some positive news about it though.

Will be there tomorrow afternoon.

I'm just gonna use Wetherby Services on the way up, most campsites I've spoken to have locked their gates by 10pm.

Weatherby a good stop. Make your way along to the side of the hotel its quiet. Enjoy the trails

Hi rod just drove past this afternoon on way back from glentress.(the long way) have you been to Keilder? Some great trails and a fantastic 26 miles rout around the lake a must if you are still in the area