Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I buy a service package and which one?

J

JoanneG

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all, I just need a simple bit of advice really on whether or not to buy a service package. My Cali was registered 24 Dec 2018 and I bought it on the 26th April 2019.

The dealer has offered me (not at point of sale, but after I called him last week),

A 2 service package for £399 or
A 4 service package for £799 (This does NOT include an MOT)

Are either of these worth me taking out?

I've seen differing advice on this e.g. Cambelts aren't normally covered and services are usually around £200 anyway, so does the package purchase make financial sense? I cant find anything on the VW site that makes sense to me regarding the cost of a service, and service intervals are also confusing. I was told it's a service every 2 years, but is that a full service every 2 years and if so where does an interim service slot in?

Sorry, as you can probably tell I'm confused. I don't want to buy a package if it's going to run out pretty much the same as a normal service charge, but at the same time the package looks good value (especially when my last car, a Freelander used to cost £500 plus just for an annual service alone).

My mileage in the Cali is likely to be no more than 6k per annum, at least in the first couple of years, so should I, in your opinion, buy a package and if so, which is likely to be the best option 2 or 4 services? My gut tells me to go for the 4 service pack at £799.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
It does depend on what serving regime you’ve selected?
I suspect with your low mileage it may be every 12 months rather than the longer 20k.
I am going to go with 4 services for 799 deal but only take it when it’s nearly due it’s first service as I believe there is a time dimension and my dealer suggested buying it two weeks before it’s due first service.
I hope that helps :thumb:thumb

It does depend on what serving regime you’ve selected?
I suspect with your low mileage it may be every 12 months rather than the longer 20k.
I am going to go with 4 services for 799 deal but only take it when it’s nearly due it’s first service as I believe there is a time dimension and my dealer suggested buying it two weeks before it’s due first service.
I hope that helps :thumb:thumb
Gvick, that's really useful information that I was unaware of, thanks so much for sharing.

I went for the 4 service plan - we find the service comes light comes on at around 15k. There is a nice feeling that when you take it in there is no charge. Also when other things need paying for ie DSG oil change or cambelt you are not having to pay for a service on top of those bills. My understanding is that 1 MOT is included in the 4 service pack.

I went for the 4 service plan - we find the service comes light comes on at around 15k. There is a nice feeling that when you take it in there is no charge. Also when other things need paying for ie DSG oil change or cambelt you are not having to pay for a service on top of those bills. My understanding is that 1 MOT is included in the 4 service pack.
Meoncoast thank you, that too is good to know. My dealer was quite definite that, for me, no MOT is included in the 4 service pack. That said I'm not that concerned about it not being there. I will ask why though, if only for information.

Thanks all, think I'll go for the 4 service plan, but push for the MOT also. I might speak to a more local dealer rather than the firm I purchased from and nearer the time of the service. Grateful for the info all.

If you sell your Cali before you have used your services they are only transferable to the new owner directly that is sold privately. If you trade it to(even a VW)dealer then the policy or vouchers lapse.
It may not matter to you if your are told anything different get it in writing

If you sell your Cali before you have used your services they are only transferable to the new owner directly that is sold privately. If you trade it to(even a VW)dealer then the policy or vouchers lapse.
It may not matter to you if your are told anything different get it in writing
That I wasn't aware of and actually could make a difference in our case. Thanks for that.

Does anyone know if you can buy the service pack twice, I.e, buy a 2 service package, then once used buy another 2? Probably not allowed, but just wondering.

Back