Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I make the change from T4 to T 5.1 Cali?

J

JakeL

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All. My first post.
I’ve had a pop top T4 Caravelle GL for about 8 years and now I’m thinking of buying a T5.1 California.
Prices are dropping and I’ve got a good deal on an early 5.1. Problem is though it has a very scabby front room panel. I know the extended warranty repair is over now so would you buy it, and what are people doing to fix this problem now? Thanks allC082106B-4B41-495D-BC65-53742BD1F7B0.jpegC082106B-4B41-495D-BC65-53742BD1F7B0.jpeg6F0C927E-FFAE-46C2-9AAE-D6E955587029.jpegFF27FF72-171C-41A7-B3FC-BFFFF1EE26E9.jpeg

Also any other advice on making the switch and things to look for buying used would be great. Cheers Jake

I think the fix from VW was just to put tape between the two mating surfaces. Repainting that front section and applying the tape should be quite simple for a competent body shop. Raise the roof and look at the extent of the corrosion you have underneath also. Get some quotes from body shops to help make your decision.

I think the fix from VW was just to put tape between the two mating surfaces. Repainting that front section and applying the tape should be quite simple for a competent body shop. Raise the roof and look at the extent of the corrosion you have underneath also. Get some quotes from body shops to help make your decision.
Thanks Darryl, I think the ‘official’ Vw ‘fix’ has been well documented, and I dont think it was that great from what Ive read. Things ive read include VW just covering up the corrosion by gluing a plastic cover over the panel. I mean WTF, if I’d been the first owner and VW only did that after spending so much on their product, I’d have been more than a bit annoyed.
Anyway the VW route is closed, so it’s more of a what is the best moth of now? Does that panel easily bolt off? Do VW sell replacement panels which are a better alloy? Can you get a steel or plastic replacement?
Getting it painted is one option definitely, however I feel that would be a temporary job as it’s the alloy components that cause the corrosion, not the paint. So I’m more concerned about the long term prospects of this vehicle with this fault. Is it worth buying a van with this type of corrosion or do I just stick to my old T4 which doesn’t have this issue, but does have other (easily repaired) issues?

It doesn’t come off easily.
I think the best bet is to find a competent body shop that knows what they are doing with aluminium panels, perhaps a classic car restorer, and get them to refinish it.
And accept that it will probably happen again after a few years.

The 5 is an easier drive than the 4. Particularly the gear stick / box.
Early 5s tend to have issues particularly around the exhaust manifold / turbo / egr plumbing causing fumes in the cab. The layout was somewhat improved in 2006 when they switched to a cast exhaust manifold, and gained a dpf, but it still gives trouble.
These are mid money to fix, and easy out of the main dealers with the scary pricing.
Bodywork is better on the 5 than the 4. I think the shells were galvanised. Most 4s are having problems around the wheel arches and the chills as you probably know..

T5 interior is fragile vs T4 Westy (I know you have a different route) but gain the extra space and usability from the way the water tanks, gas, tailgate deckchairs and picnic table are integrated without using ‘any space’.

If the price was right I would buy it then get that sanded, etch primed and painted in situ. An alternative would be to get it sanded smooth and wrapped.

If the price was right I would buy it then get that sanded, etch primed and painted in situ. An alternative would be to get it sanded smooth and wrapped.
Is it possible to get a wrap exactly the same metallic colour and also a
small area.
Agree that i wouldn't let anyone remove the front roof panel, best to
keep the original bonding and sealant in place.

Is it possible to get a wrap exactly the same metallic colour and also a
small area.
Agree that i wouldn't let anyone remove the front roof panel, best to
keep the original bonding and sealant in place.

Exact with wrap no not very likely. I would just do it in a contrast roof like black. There is a spray on removable wrap (called a skin) available now in the exact colour but no advantage over getting it painted really.

We had the same paint problems with our T5 cali 2006, a boddy workshop has made the repair.. now 3y later the paint stil holds...
All de original paint was removed they used aluminium primer... and did a repaint.

Not sure what year the T5.1 is that you're looking at Jake, but we bought a 2011 last year privately from a climbing friend of mine. As the same problem was evident (though not as severe), I asked the VW main dealer for there advice and they sent it away to be fixed and it was all done for free which was excellent as the van originated from Vienna.

Not sure what year the T5.1 is that you're looking at Jake, but we bought a 2011 last year privately from a climbing friend of mine. As the same problem was evident (though not as severe), I asked the VW main dealer for there advice and they sent it away to be fixed and it was all done for free which was excellent as the van originated from Vienna.
Thats good. Can I ask which dealer you used please?

Back