Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I order the bed extension with 'comfort' sleeping mat or Zonesleep Topper?

Another plus one for Zonesleep, these are not cheap but they do add a lot of comfort to the cali sleeping experience. Also they are very cool in hot climate whereas I have found the memory foam type topper to be very sweaty.

Best thing to do is try one out at one of the gatherings that the club holds, we purchased ours at the farm meet so we were able to test it out for ourselves along with others on offer

Thanks all. A lot to think about and really useful.

Cyclopath, sounds like you've tried the VW option, Comfortz and Zonesleep. Both Comfortz and VW option sound comfortable if you like a firm mattress. If you were in my position would you go for the VW one? or go for the Comfortz and create more storage space?

I'm not sure about an airbed to be honest. Overtime I've slept on one before I get a bad back or it goes flat on me!
James, I would recommend trying the options out if you can. We are all so different.
I have a mildly worn out neck and back, one reason for stopping camping, and getting a Cali. That affects what suits me, and makes me fussy.
But I am only 5 ft 7 and 10 stone, which will make a difference.
I did even try zonesleep on top of VW, but it didn't suit me.
And what about the roof. Folks say it is more comfortable up there , as it has a slatted base. I prefer downstairs because I like to look out of the Windows, see the stars and sunrise etc.
If you are in Dorset you are welcome to pop in and have a lie down and try

As above, find someone local or better still try and get to one of the club meets, we learnt SO MUCH by attending a club meet and you will also find Comfortz will do special offers on the day

We use a 3 inch topper from eBay for £45. King-size. Fits perfectly once the corners cut out to match the head board shape. As comfortable as our bed. We figured that as we would be losing parcel shelf space we might aswell have a deeper topper as the 3 seat bench is pretty tortuous on its own ! All bedding sits on top ok.

I have a comfortz topper but haven't slept on it yet. Foam feels lovely and the cover zips off easily. Very good quality topper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We purchased the comfort mattress and wish we had not bothered as once you have it you cant get rid of it as it forms part of the rear parcel shelf.

This is the first I'd heard of this and wondered if others could confirm that by adding the option for the comfort mattress I wouldn't be able to remove it at will and therefore wouldn't be able to use the rear parcel shelf as a bed for a toddler whilst leaving the seats up?

I had expected that the whole comfort mattress would be a standalone item that I could remove and place in an awning or leave at home when not in use. Logic was purchase it now but not necessarily use it until young-un outgrows the parcel shelf and moves into the roof bed (which is where we'll sleep until she's old enough).

If anyone is able to confirm this I'd be really grateful.

This is the first I'd heard of this and wondered if others could confirm that by adding the option for the comfort mattress I wouldn't be able to remove it at will and therefore wouldn't be able to use the rear parcel shelf as a bed for a toddler whilst leaving the seats up?

I had expected that the whole comfort mattress would be a standalone item that I could remove and place in an awning or leave at home when not in use. Logic was purchase it now but not necessarily use it until young-un outgrows the parcel shelf and moves into the roof bed (which is where we'll sleep until she's old enough).

If anyone is able to confirm this I'd be really grateful.
I was at a dealers today and he removed the comfort mattress in front of me to show me how the multiboard underneath can be folded down to allow the bench to go further back.

I'm going for both: have the VW comfort mattress ordered and expect this to level the 3 seater bench. Will add a fairly thin memory foam topper to take the edge off the hardness and ensure it has some give. My concern for a memory topper on its own would be that it may not be thick or hard enough to flatten the lumps in the 3 seat bench. My intended solution may seem overkill, but a good night's sleep is worth good money to me!

I guess if you don't order the Comfort madrass you get some sort of thin madrass on the MFT table which is not included if going with comfort madrass.

Thanks for all the advice. I also spoke to Comfortz yesterday who were incredibly helpful. I think I'm going to stick with the VW comfort topper and then order a memory foam topper if we feel like we need it after testing just the VW comfort mattress for a night.

In case you haven't seen it already on one of the other threads currently running, here is a new video of the VW mat in multiple uses:

Thanks I had seen it and it was one of the things that made up my mind. Appreciate you pointing it out though.

In our Cali T4 Generation, we use a memory foam double bed mattress topper covered in a fitted quilt cover as a sheet. We initially thought we would trim it to fit exactly, but after our first use, found that the extra width was useful in curling upwards slightly at the sides to effectively prevent draughty from below. In use, it is very comfy and we sleep on a fleecy blanket and under a quilt. We have used this for some time now and at £50 it was a bargain! We slept in the van last weekend without a hook-up and were very snug and warm, even though the outside temp was -1 when we got up! The Insulated Pucer Screen tops are a great help and very effective!

Thanks Billabus. Sounds like a good idea. I have a 1968 T2 at the moment and can see how having a mattress topper up against the cold windows would make it more comfortable..

Back