Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sicily here we come....?

You will love it. Nice people, great food. Some fantastic places (Ortigia, and SAN Vito lo Capo) left a big impression. We resolved to return - in the van this time.

Thanks, Great tips and info. We ideally would be van travelling but if not an option fly.

I have driven past Kaliforni a couple of times.

Been 3 times in California

Many of the best sites are well away from public transport. The California is perfect.

We had four weeks in Sicily winter 2017/2018. Two weeks in Balestrate and two weeks in Calabernardo.

If you visit in winter, the east side is drier and 2 or 3 degrees warmer than than the north side.

Greek Theater of Segesta and the Natural Spa of Segesta was our favourite day trip. Over towards Trapani at the western tip.

Many of the best sites are well away from public transport. The California is perfect.

We had four weeks in Sicily winter 2017/2018. Two weeks in Balestrate and two weeks in Calabernardo.

If you visit in winter, the east side is drier and 2 or 3 degrees warmer than than the north side.

Greek Theater of Segesta and the Natural Spa of Segesta was our favourite day trip. Over towards Trapani at the western tip.
Cheers Amarillo. Which is best route would you say?

Cheers Amarillo. Which is best route would you say?

I’m not the best person to ask. We took a leisurely zigzag down the boot.

Monaco-Florence-San Marino-Rome-Manfredonia-Naples-Ricadi-Palermo-Syracuse-Caulonia-Salicetti-Brindisi-Igoumenitsa.

The Germans flock down the Adriatic Coast. It is a better motorway than the crumbling west side.

I'm going to grab the road atlas... I hope for a 3 week jaunt realistically in September. Leisurely drive via France then into italy. Just depends on Pratron Macron and his decision to permit travel via france too.

What’s the ferries from mainland costs approx , ok or like uk to Ireland a monopoly rip off ?

About €40 one way with a modest discount for a return ticket. It is a little like the Isle of Wight ferry. You may get a cheaper price if you book in advance, but not sufficient to run the risk of missing your booked passage. And no price hikes for peak season. The service is of sufficient frequency for turn up and go, but I cannot comment on the length of the unbooked queue off season. Neither do I know if it’s like the Norwegian system for the Lofoten ferry to Å, where 50% of car places are reserved for unbooked vehicles.

A California is made for cruising!

I’m not the best person to ask. We took a leisurely zigzag down the boot.

Monaco-Florence-San Marino-Rome-Manfredonia-Naples-Ricadi-Palermo-Syracuse-Caulonia-Salicetti-Brindisi-Igoumenitsa.

The Germans flock down the Adriatic Coast. It is a better motorway than the crumbling west side.
Agreed, I worked for a company that has a factory on the east side, the towns and countryside are just as lovely and the people just as friendly but the roads were much better and quieter.

Just a warning, if you’re there in winter, don’t cross the mountains without snow chains (it’s against the law) and the motorway can be closed without any notice if the weather changes. It’s lethal! (Used to fly into Rome and travel across the mountains to the east. Most beautiful service stations tho, the views are amazing, coffee and a croissant looking at the mountain view, yes please.

You will love it. Nice people, great food. Some fantastic places (Ortigia, and SAN Vito lo Capo) left a big impression. We resolved to return - in the van this time.
Saw a great prog on BBC2 last night about Sicily ( Michael Scott I think ) if you have i player very good, and not at all like I expected some wonderful buildings in Palermo, He went to many places went thru the history, Im quite well travelled and a bit ashamed I knew feck all about the place, looks tough to get around in a T6 though

Thanks HectorPascal. I'll try and find it this evening I'm struggling to find anything I want to watch!

Saw a great prog on BBC2 last night about Sicily ( Michael Scott I think ) if you have i player very good, and not at all like I expected some wonderful buildings in Palermo, He went to many places went thru the history, Im quite well travelled and a bit ashamed I knew feck all about the place, looks tough to get around in a T6 though
Thanks Dave. I am looking now!