Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Staycations - this makes sorry reading

bbqforce10

bbqforce10

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
No I don’t. They make no effort to make me feel welcome, I make no effort to be welcomed. The countryside does not belong to the people that live there. It is not up to them to decide who is and is not welcome, it’s up to all of us.
Sorry, you are deluded.
What goes around, comes around. If you make no effort
No I don’t. They make no effort to make me feel welcome, I make no effort to be welcomed. The countryside does not belong to the people that live there. It is not up to them to decide who is and is not welcome, it’s up to all of us.
I find that a very sad attitude.
Personally I find it much better to try and be friendly with local people, they are often friendly back.
I also try to see things from their perspective. Maybe you should try it some time?

AlisonF

AlisonF

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I agree with this, and wouldn’t personally visit anywhere too popular in the summer now. However, I have come to the conclusion that these bans are being implemented all over the place regardless of the how the majority behave. The popularity of campervanning is increasing and the number of locations is decreasing. The only long term solution is for these overwhelmed communities to make an effort to accommodate people. Aires don’t seem to ruin their locality. The whole thing is in a death spiral, and the constant reference to littering and toilet waste is way over stated.
I have never seen actual toilet waste, and I have never seen a cassette being emptied. I have seen litter and the best solution to this is to clear up other people’s rubbish from around your spot. It’s still a small minority who leave litter. There seems a lack of litter bins in this country compared to the continent, no excuse, but maybe a solution.
I think Motorhomes are already banned from all sea side car parks in Cornwall by the way.
Sadly what I’m hearing reported around Scotland is not the same. Car parks overwhelmed (even without campers) and human excrement becoming a nuisance.
I agree, the majority of Cali owners camping wild are used to following good practice. This year has been, significantly different. Nothing anyone predicted. And so everything has changed. The volume of traffic, etc and the associated wild camping, human waste (sadly) has all increased.
It is not surprising there is a mixed reaction to holiday makers (yes, we want your money, and no, we don’t want your waste).
I think everyone needs to just calm down a bit and realise it isn’t the same as other years. If you can postpone, maybe do so. If you do visit places, make sure you DO support the local economy.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Sorry, you are deluded.
What goes around, comes around. If you make no effort

I find that a very sad attitude.
Personally I find it much better to try and be friendly with local people, they are often friendly back.
I also try to see things from their perspective. Maybe you should try it some time?
I also find it disappointing. What goes around comes does indeed come around. I have seen how appallingly members of the community who live in their vans have been treated recently by some of these rural communities in recent times. If the responsible members of the campervanning and motorhoming communities were well received and offered somewhere they could be welcome, I would respond in kind. No solutions except bans from all car parks, and no new facilities are ever offered, regardless of how responsible the behaviour of the vast majority are. it doesn’t matter how responsible we are it seems that locals have decided we are not welcome unless staying on a campsite. I don’t agree with this, and it doesn’t matter how responsible I am, they are not going to change their mind, and neither am I.
There has to be a way that all sides could work harmoniously, but there is never any effort made to achieve this. It is too easy to ban people, then be surprised when they react as I am.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Sadly what I’m hearing reported around Scotland is not the same. Car parks overwhelmed (even without campers) and human excrement becoming a nuisance.
I agree, the majority of Cali owners camping wild are used to following good practice. This year has been, significantly different. Nothing anyone predicted. And so everything has changed. The volume of traffic, etc and the associated wild camping, human waste (sadly) has all increased.
It is not surprising there is a mixed reaction to holiday makers (yes, we want your money, and no, we don’t want your waste).
I think everyone needs to just calm down a bit and realise it isn’t the same as other years. If you can postpone, maybe do so. If you do visit places, make sure you DO support the local economy.
It’s almost always hearsay. What solutions have been proposed other than banning people?

W

Wongo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
How about a Tourist Tax? Whenever you stay on campsite, in a hotel etc. It works elsewhere and the money can be ringfenced to improving facilities and therefore boosting local economies.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
How about a Tourist Tax? Whenever you stay on campsite, in a hotel etc. It works elsewhere and the money can be ringfenced to improving facilities and therefore boosting local economies.
This could work.

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
With reference to your last sentence, I am afraid it is, as "they live there " and you don't so only they can do the welcoming! Anyway if you make no effort to be welcomed and you spend as little as you can in a local community perhaps you would be better suited to City life ... where you will definitely be expected to contribute and be even less welcomed if you didn't !

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
With reference to your last sentence, I am afraid it is, as "they live there " and you don't so only they can do the welcoming! Anyway if you make no effort to be welcomed and you spend as little as you can in a local community perhaps you would be better suited to City life ... where you will definitely be expected to contribute and be even less welcomed if you didn't !
I am welcome to go there if I choose to. It’s not really up to the people that live there I’m afraid. Nobody in a city has threatened to set fire to the vans of innocent people recently as far as I am aware, so happy to contribute in such places.

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
You can go there for sure but whether you are welcomed by the local community is something else and largely dependent upon how you behave. If you treat local communities with respect they will generally welcome you.

Re Cities if people went to them in droves from outside in vans and just parked on the highways and disposed of their waste the way many or some do or contribute nothing of any real substance economically to the local community, as you say you do, then they would be shown the door or worse !

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
You can go there for sure but whether you are welcomed by the local community is something else and largely dependent upon how you behave. If you treat local communities with respect they will generally welcome you.

Re Cities if people went to them in droves from outside in vans and just parked on the highways and disposed of their waste the way many or some do or contribute nothing of any real substance economically to the local community, as you say you do, then they would be shown the door or worse !
The responsible CampervanBits are not welcomed by the local community regardless. Banned from all car parks. No alternative facilities provided. Threatened with arson by the village idiots. Why do you think these communities deserve any respect after the way they behave towards responsible visitors? Why should I contribute anything when they offer nothing in return. When they start offering a warm welcome (not fire) I will reciprocate.
I am parked on the highway in a city amongst several other vans. It’s a well established spot and once a week any litter around us, dropped by cars, is collected by us. The council is happy and during lockdown provided somewhere for everybody to go and park up with facilities. Compare and contrast how people were treated in your area.

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sounds like you have a nice spot suited to you. Enjoy :D

RE lock-down the car parks weren't even open to local people around here i.e. they were shut to everybody ...

Last edited:
L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Sounds like you have a nice spot suited to you. Enjoy :D

RE lock-down the car parks weren't even open to local people around here i.e. they were shut to everybody ...
It’s a good spot. The view could be improved.
More whining from people who know the solution but choose to do nothing about it.

D

Dave Wickham

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
They complain because their councils shut or have inadequate support facilities.

Toilet blocks the same for the past 30 years with little or no investment or closed after 7pm...???
Local road infrastructure not been invested in.
Not enough bins around car parks, beaches and beauty spots. Those that are there, are usually too small.

Councils need to do much more, instead of squeezing the tourist lemon, like repurpose car parks which could produce revenue for overnight stays in limited numbers.

Campsites are full on the weekends at the minute. The only other solution is to wildpark.

However, I sympathise with locals, who have to put up with inconsiderate people who don’t take care of the places they enjoy and visit.

When we park somewhere, we leave it as we found it. You wouldn’t even know we had stayed there...
very well put 'soulstyledevon'

Nick Stubbs

Nick Stubbs

The Rodent.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Think it was this thread I read that the Lake district had been overwhelmed with tourists.. The BBC news has just done a report from the area, camp sites half full, tourist numbers down and but the lakeside hotel they went to was full until September, the pictures (Ambelside) didn't show that many folk about, who do you believe ?

On another issue I was under the impression that the camp sites had to operate on reduced numbers, we have just returned from a few days in Yorkshire, very nice site, full to the brim every night, nothing other than common sense using the facilities, notice's and sanitizer on the doors and regular cleaning took place, only thing I had to queue for was pot washing.

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Really busy down here, last night I was on my from Bodmin back to Fowey and saw a 2 van conversions in farm field gateways.

Padstow was rammed as is Fowey with their narrow streets.