Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Staycations - this makes sorry reading

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Improve the infra structure then. Where would you like them to go instead? Hardly anybody leaves rubbish and empties the toilet on the street. It’s a tiny minority. Focus on enforcement against them. Provide adequate facilities for the visitors who are coming. The big motorhomers blame the campervans as they have no in built toilet facilities. The campervans blame the white whales. Neither of these is the problem. It’s the council for not providing suitable alternatives and the handful if morons who need to be dealt with.
Respect works both ways. Make an effort to accommodate visitors and they will show their appreciation.
Coniston has opened 3 temporary sites but they are all full and people still come. It is full we can’t accommodate any more. The school allows people to park there but yesterday there were 2 idiots driving all over the sports pitches so I’m sure that will change their mind about that. There are far too many people with no respect for anything. With the licensed sites and the temporary sites there are now more than 6 places you can camp in Coniston. That is probably 6 times the population or more When you add up all the spaces for vans but people just turn up and park anywhere blocking access for emergency vehicles. We are happy to welcome tourists just not in these numbers. If you don’t have a pitch don’t come. The roads aren’t big enough for large vehicles and that is part of the attraction of the lakes. If you widen the roads it becomes like everywhere else and spoils it for those who choose to live in small isolated villages.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Council’s don’t have the money.
Perhaps they need to increase their council tax and/ or business rates, to provision facilities and accommodate the visitors many local businesses rely upon for their income. They need to come up with solutions which don’t simply push the perceived problem out to other areas.

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Perhaps they need to increase their council tax and/ or business rates, to provision facilities and accommodate the visitors many local businesses rely upon for their income. They need to come up with solutions which don’t simply push the perceived problem out to other areas.
We are already taxed to death and business rates are killing most small businesses. So this won’t work.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Coniston has opened 3 temporary sites but they are all full and people still come. It is full we can’t accommodate any more. The school allows people to park there but yesterday there were 2 idiots driving all over the sports pitches so I’m sure that will change their mind about that. There are far too many people with no respect for anything. With the licensed sites and the temporary sites there are now more than 6 places you can camp in Coniston. That is probably 6 times the population or more When you add up all the spaces for vans but people just turn up and park anywhere blocking access for emergency vehicles. We are happy to welcome tourists just not in these numbers. If you don’t have a pitch don’t come. The roads aren’t big enough for large vehicles and that is part of the attraction of the lakes. If you widen the roads it becomes like everywhere else and spoils it for those who choose to live in small isolated villages.
Well, it’s legal to park and sleep anywhere on the highway providing you are not causing an obstruction or littering. People are not obliged to stay on sites. This year is likely to be exceptional in terms of visitors, so it will probably calm down next year.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are already taxed to death and business rates are killing most small businesses. So this won’t work.
The content visitors would inject cash into the local economy so your profits will reflect this. The locals would also be happy that they were not invading the towns i their huge vans. It could work. In France many popular Aires have a small pro rata fee of around maybe 8 euros for 24 hours, plus a few euros for using the services such as water and waste. They can probably be self supporting.

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’ll still go there, and I’ll make sure I stock up with everything I need before I do, so that I can spend as little money as possible while I’m there.
As someone said to me behavior breeds behavior ! Why would they want you !"

westfalia

westfalia

Top Poster
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
like for example providing Aires on the outskirts of places like they do in France.
How do you stop pi keys taking over?
You can't, that's probably why there are no -french type-
aires in the UK.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
As someone said to me behavior breeds behavior ! Why would they want you !"
That’s the whole point. If they made any effort to accommodate people I would return the favour happily. As they show nothing but hostility they will not benefit from my goodwill. I’m still coming anyway.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
How do you stop pi keys taking over?
You can't, that's probably why there are no -french type-
aires in the UK.
Provide them with sufficient transit sites in each county as councils are supposed to anyway. If you give them nowhere to go you can’t really complain about where they turn up.

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Provide them with sufficient transit sites in each county as councils are supposed to anyway. If you give them nowhere to go you can’t really complain about where they turn up.
This year the numbers are simply too great for any small area to accommodate people on transit sites.

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Well, it’s legal to park and sleep anywhere on the highway providing you are not causing an obstruction or littering. People are not obliged to stay on sites. This year is likely to be exceptional in terms of visitors, so it will probably calm down next year.
It is not legal to sleep in your vehicle on the highway especially in the Lake District National Park where all forms of wild camping are banned. We have just had new legislation in England which bans just parking up and sleeping in your van except where there is specific permission. It would be great to have Aires in the Uk but the huge numbers of people travelling in popular areas this year would still not find accommodation.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
It is not legal to sleep in your vehicle on the highway especially in the Lake District National Park where all forms of wild camping are banned. We have just had new legislation in England which bans just parking up and sleeping in your van except where there is specific permission. It would be great to have Aires in the Uk but the huge numbers of people travelling in popular areas this year would still not find accommodation.
National parks are an exception. However the highways act still applies, so it’s a grey area. We have not just had new legislation in England which bans sleeping on the highway in a vehicle in England. It has not been enacted, it was out for consultation. The proposed legislation also still allows sleeping in your van on the highway without permission if you are not in group.

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Do you remember some of these welcoming people threatening to burn the vans of full timers who had the same right to be there as anybody else?
I’ll happily contribute generously in welcoming communities I visit.
Yes I do I am a full timer but still respect the community I live in and accordingly found somewhere to stay. If people continue to invade with this poor attitude we will all be banned and where does that leave full timers.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Yes I do I am a full timer but still respect the community I live in and accordingly found somewhere to stay. If people continue to invade with this poor attitude we will all be banned and where does that leave full timers.
It does not matter how respectful the majority of people are. No effort is made to accommodate people. It is a tiny minority who disrespect the environment. The problem is there are too many visitors for the infrastructure. Respect works both ways. If any effort at all was made to accommodate people, rather than simply whining and calling for bans to address the lowest common denominator, then my attitude would improve.

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
It does not matter how respectful the majority of people are. No effort is made to accommodate people. It is a tiny minority who disrespect the environment. The problem is there are too many visitors for the infrastructure. Respect works both ways. If any effort at all was made to accommodate people, rather than simply whining and calling for bans to address the lowest common denominator, then my attitude would improve.
If there are too many vans for the infrastructure then don’t come. Wait for a quieter time. Improving the infrastructure in places like the Lakes will ruin the place and take away its very character. Some common sense is needed or we will all be banned.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
If there are too many vans for the infrastructure then don’t come. Wait for a quieter time. Improving the infrastructure in places like the Lakes will ruin the place and take away its very character. Some common sense is needed or we will all be banned.
I agree with this, and wouldn’t personally visit anywhere too popular in the summer now. However, I have come to the conclusion that these bans are being implemented all over the place regardless of the how the majority behave. The popularity of campervanning is increasing and the number of locations is decreasing. The only long term solution is for these overwhelmed communities to make an effort to accommodate people. Aires don’t seem to ruin their locality. The whole thing is in a death spiral, and the constant reference to littering and toilet waste is way over stated.
I have never seen actual toilet waste, and I have never seen a cassette being emptied. I have seen litter and the best solution to this is to clear up other people’s rubbish from around your spot. It’s still a small minority who leave litter. There seems a lack of litter bins in this country compared to the continent, no excuse, but maybe a solution.
I think Motorhomes are already banned from all sea side car parks in Cornwall by the way.

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I agree with this, and wouldn’t personally visit anywhere too popular in the summer now. However, I have come to the conclusion that these bans are being implemented all over the place regardless of the how the majority behave. The popularity of campervanning is increasing and the number of locations is decreasing. The only long term solution is for these overwhelmed communities to make an effort to accommodate people. Aires don’t seem to ruin their locality. The whole thing is in a death spiral, and the constant reference to littering and toilet waste is way over stated.
I have never seen actual toilet waste, and I have never seen a cassette being emptied. I have seen litter and the best solution to this is to clear up other people’s rubbish from around your spot. It’s still a small minority who leave litter. There seems a lack of litter bins in this country compared to the continent, no excuse, but maybe a solution.
I think Motorhomes are already banned from all sea side car parks in Cornwall by the way.
Motorhomes are banned from a lot of car parks but we seem to get away with it. I’m sorry but the behaviour I have personally witnessed since travel was allowed again has been awful not just litter and churning up grass areas but I’ve seen 2 chemical loos emptied at the roadside and loud drunken loutish behaviour late into the night which puts our whole lifestyle at risk. It’s no wonder the locals don’t know whether to love us or loathe us. This year that minority has expanded rapidly.

bbqforce10

bbqforce10

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I’ll still go there, and I’ll make sure I stock up with everything I need before I do, so that I can spend as little money as possible while I’m there.
And you wonder why your not welcome!?

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
And you wonder why your not welcome!?
No I don’t. They make no effort to make me feel welcome, I make no effort to be welcomed. The countryside does not belong to the people that live there. It is not up to them to decide who is and is not welcome, it’s up to all of us.