Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side Bars?

2CV67

2CV67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I am very aware of how easy it would be to scrape the (passenger) side of my Cali on a short post or rock, when manoeuvring.

On a recent trip to Holland, I couldn't help noticing how many T5's had chrome tube side bars - seemingly over 50%.
As these included otherwise-ordinary delivery vans, I conclude it is not a "Bling" thing, but probably a reaction to Holland's narrow streets & frequent posts.
So I though maybe that is a good solution & even a good investment?

Back home, I see the VW items are 650 euros plus an hour & a half labour...
So maybe not such a good investment?

Some questions:
1. Are side bars a decent protection against scraping low posts & rocks, or do they just transfer the damage elsewhere?
2. Do they inhibit access to things like jacking points etc?
3. Do they just bolt on, or is it more complicated?
4. Would I need to use a hoist for fitting?
5. Any negative effect on corrosion, warranty etc?
6. I see non-VW "equivalents" at less than half the price - are any of them any good?
7. Other comments?

Thanks!

I am aware some ( not all ) non VW bars prevent use of jacking points !!!

HY09UMU said:
I am aware some ( not all ) non VW bars prevent use of jacking points !!!

The genuine ones and and the ones that some of us have which are a replica of the VW ones do not affect jacking points.

Steel Works

OK - sounds like the SteelWorks (Automotive Brands Ltd - Stephen King) ones have general favour (Stu + BMVS + ...).

I like the price a lot better than VW's (but shipping to France??)

Any comments on my other detail questions:
1. Are side bars a decent protection against scraping low posts & rocks, or do they just transfer the damage elsewhere?
2. Do they inhibit access to things like jacking points etc? = NO for SteelWorks.
3. Do they just bolt on, or is it more complicated?
4. Would I need to use a hoist for fitting?
5. Any negative effect on corrosion, warranty etc?

Thanks!

My thoughts on your questions.

1. Might protect bodywork in lite scrape. But heavier impact & fixings would probably give way.
3. Yes simple bolt/clamp on.
4. No I ran my cali up onto my level ramps to give me more room to get underneath.
5. None that I'm aware of. Only downside is it adds to weight of Cali & so decreases the payload.

Thanks for the recommendation in this topic for Automotive Brands Ltd stainless steel side Bars . I have just fitted a set and they look just like the VW bars at a fraction of the price .

fordyski100 said:
Thanks for the recommendation in this topic for Automotive Brands Ltd stainless steel side Bars . I have just fitted a set and they look just like the VW bars at a fraction of the price .

Excellent :thumb

I like the look of the bars but decided against fitting as I thought they'd do the opposite of protecting - rather would increase chance of damage.

They sit pretty close to the sill but reduce the ground clearance by around 50mm so they're more likely to be hit than an ordinary bar-less sill. If they are hit I figured they'd probably touch and damage the sill unless it was a very minor scrape.

All that said - I haven't seen many vans with damaged sills either with or without bars. Maybe I worry too much!

My wife scraped ours quite badly on a low wall so I got some VW ones fitted - I have to admit partly because they look nice... :oops: :lol:

They do scratch easily though which is annoying.

strangely i've be thinking about taking mine off .. :idea:

2CV67 said:
choplee said:
strangely i've be thinking about taking mine off .. :idea:
Because?......

Looking a a change maybe ... Mine are black and was looking at an animal style wrap on them or something funky ,so may take them off for the winter and see what I can find ..

2CV67 said:
Oh - OK.

No functional problem then?

No problems to show for me .. I think they are more of a visual accessory with a little protection if you hit that area .. They do get in the way when I use a draft panel ,so I have to look at pro's and con's

Do they help prevent car park panel dings? Usually caused by some careless "person" swinging their car door open.

gamort said:
Do they help prevent car park panel dings? Usually caused by some careless "person" swinging their car door open.

They are to low for the dreaded carpark dings I'm afraid :-(

choplee said:
gamort said:

They are to low for the dreaded carpark dings I'm afraid :-(

Thanks choplee.

That's a shame. I was going to ask the dealer to fit these prior to pick up, thinking they would help in tight car park spaces.

Had no problems with mine, but I got them because I think they make the Cali look even better. If I didn't have them I would be just as wary of bumps, posts, etc. Paul. :D

They've prevented a trolley or two hitting ours.

Our trolleys locally the basket sits slightly further forward than the wheel carriage at the front and if it's a reverse hit then the handle will get you ,so unless it's a side swipe at low speed ,so the top doesn't topple onto your cali then bars will not help us .... ;)

it's more of a bling thing first and foremost ,(but i'm sure others may disagree :lol: )

Ps... my dog finds them a pain when getting in and out.

I like the way stones and gravel ping off them - it's the simple things.... :oops:

Anyone have any tips of a decent polish for them?

Megs metal polish is good, not just because it's Megs, I'm not a fanboi, it's just good.

An old favourite is of course Autosol, that's spelled with 'uto' and not 'nu'!! :laugh2

Stu said:
Megs metal polish is good, not just because it's Megs, I'm not a fanboi, it's just good.

An old favourite is of course Autosol, that's spelled with 'uto' and not 'nu'!! :laugh2

I like Megs stuff too; will check it out - cheers! :thumb

fordyski100 said:
No possibility of posting or PM-ing the fitting instructions?
I am curious to know how difficult it is & if it increases risk of corrosion to adjacent parts, by agressing paintwork...

Thanks!