Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side proximity sensors- tecchy intrigue

Guy.M

Guy.M

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello all, am intrigued. On my Ocean 6.1 MY21, the control panel shows warnings down both sides of the vans, quite accurately and well - of course as well as front rear traditional parking proximity sensors. Yet I don’t see sensors on the sides of the California . And as far as I can see the far outside ones on the front and rear bumpers don’t point forward/backwards to provide that cover. Who’s going to educate me about this? How does it sense things close to the can down either side of the van. Thanks for taking the time if you do choose to educate me!

Hello all, am intrigued. On my Ocean 6.1 MY21, the control panel shows warnings down both sides of the vans, quite accurately and well - of course as well as front rear traditional parking proximity sensors. Yet I don’t see sensors on the sides of the California . And as far as I can see the far outside ones on the front and rear bumpers don’t point forward/backwards to provide that cover. Who’s going to educate me about this? How does it sense things close to the can down either side of the van. Thanks for taking the time if you do choose to educate me!
Are their sensors in the wing mirrors?

No don’t think so, not obviously at least…

Included with Park Assist, Side Protection monitors the vehicle's sides and alerts you using visual and audible warnings if you're getting too close to objects such as other vehicles, pillars, walls or pedestrians. Side Protection uses 12 ultrasound sensors (6 front and 6 rear) to detect objects and create a field of vision around the vehicle.

Obviously I've written that from memory.....

Included with Park Assist, Side Protection monitors the vehicle's sides and alerts you using visual and audible warnings if you're getting too close to objects such as other vehicles, pillars, walls or pedestrians. Side Protection uses 12 ultrasound sensors (6 front and 6 rear) to detect objects and create a field of vision around the vehicle.

Obviously I've written that from memory.....
Thanks Hamish S, it must be just some magic where the outside sensors on the front and back point down the length of the vehicle. Just really doesn’t look like that at all! Some VW magic obvs

The sensors/radar units to warn on blind spot etc on a T6 are in the rear quarter panels below the rear lights. They do not use the parking sensor.

These radar units/sensors have a wide coverage as they warn you when any vehicle is entering your blind spot approximately 100 meters away (not sure of the exact measurement), and continue to warn you until that vehicle has completely passed your van. With that range, I am sure these are the sensors that will be being used to monitor things close to the side of the van as well.

KUFATEC is a company that provide retro fit kits for side scan and below is a diagram from a post on the t6Forum here - https://www.t6forum.com/threads/sid...-rta-blind-spot-detection-bsd-retrofit.14590/. :thumb

2021-06-21_14h49_28.png

Similar as above for the transporter.

Thanks so much kurienp and Liz - so helpful. Sorry for slow acknowledgment- on the road with average reception at best.

Back