Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side rail maximum weight

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have been looking at the water port shower units and think they seem good. The unused side rail on the other side from the awning has always felt like an underused feature and it would be nice if the water port could be fitted on there... the weight would not be on the raised roof, so a good benefit. I cannot find anywhere a weight rating for fitting things to the track.... the awning certainly is not light, and maybe using similar brackets to those would work.... anyone got any idea about this?
Cheers

I have been looking at the water port shower units and think they seem good. The unused side rail on the other side from the awning has always felt like an underused feature and it would be nice if the water port could be fitted on there... the weight would not be on the raised roof, so a good benefit. I cannot find anywhere a weight rating for fitting things to the track.... the awning certainly is not light, and maybe using similar brackets to those would work.... anyone got any idea about this?
Cheers

As @Californiar4x4 says have a look at the previous posts. The awning brackets are bolted to the roof as well as to the side rail, which is not taking the weight, just a secondary fixing/brace.

As @Californiar4x4 says have a look at the previous posts. The awning brackets are bolted to the roof as well as to the side rail, which is not taking the weight, just a secondary fixing/brace.
If the rail is screwed/bonded to the body (assume it would be on a Cali, but others with more technical knowledge shoukd be able to confirm), then it should act in the same way as a Reimo Mulirail that are retrofitted on lots of T4, T5’s (screwed & silkaflex) which are able support the full awning weight without an additional bolt in the roof - it just uses 2 special brackets which is fit directly into the awning rail slot + are screwed into the awning case; The weight is then spread across the rail.

If the rail is screwed/bonded to the body (assume it would be on a Cali, but others with more technical knowledge shoukd be able to confirm), then it should act in the same way as a Reimo Mulirail that are retrofitted on lots of T4, T5’s (screwed & silkaflex) which are able support the full awning weight without an additional bolt in the roof - it just uses 2 special brackets which is fit directly into the awning rail slot + are screwed into the awning case; The weight is then spread across the rail.
The rail is not screwed, only bonded.

Cheers

The Brandrup 10L water carrier to fill the California water tank came with fittings to use that rail. Not had any problems so far.
3.8 gallons = approx 17.3 L

Brandrup also do a 20L water carrier with the same hanging strap for the C rail.

ps: Brandrup also do a 20L solar shower version.

Last edited:
I’ve managed to destroy an awning that wasn’t tied down. The wind picked it up folded it over the van, ripped the lower securing bolts out of the awning case (they remained in the rail) and then bent the brackets (that attach to the roof) up until the awning box also ripped out of those and parked it’s self on the other side of the van. For the bolts to be ripped through the awning box and remain in the rail, it’s held on with some pretty good glue. For what you propose doing, it would probably be fine, I wouldn’t want to drive anywhere with something attached to it whether it was full of water or empty though.

Back