Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side Window Misting Up

S

Surforswim

Guest User
Has anyone else had a problem with misting in what must be a double glazed window. The one above the fridge and behind wardrobe starting misting up during our trip to Scotland last week. It occurred first thing in the morning noticeable after pulling back the blind, then eventually cleared after an hour or so. It was very hot 30oC! in Glen Nevis last week when i spotted the problem although last year had no such issues when staying near Venice which was just as hot in the day but obviously not so cold at night. I have a March 2010 Cali so still under warranty. No issues now were back home and at normal temps, was wondering if it could be linked to the fridge working extra hard.
cheers Keith.

You are correct in stating that the unit is double glazed, there have have been occasional reports of the units breaking down ie. condensation inside the unit.

Have you checked if the condensation is on the surface of the glass or inside the unit ?

Mike

Definitely between the panes Mike and covering about 60% of the clear surface area when affected. I'll keep an eye on it over the summer now that it has come to my attention to see if it gets any more frequent and decide nearer next March before warrantee runs out whether a replacement window is worth the hassle as feedback indicates its not one of the normal Cali defects, but as with all these type of things its not going to get any better with time,
Keith.

If you are able, take a photo of the next misting-up because often dealers won't do anything unless they can simulate the problem - and a photo can help offset their reluctance.

In my opinion, they sooner you start agitating for a replacement the better just in case it takes ages.

Good luck!

Totally agree Barry,

Once the unit has blown it looses its insulation properties so is not fit for purpose

Mike

Many thanks for the response lads , I'll set things in motion at the end of the summer season, don't want to be without the vehicle anytime over the summer. The photo is a great idea and something I must get done next misting up. I was wondering how i would get on with a complaint when there is nothing to show them, problem solved.
cheers keith.

Hi,
Noticed the same problem with my March 11 7000 mile California during a very cold day in Annecey over Easter. Not very happy as suspect the kitchen unit will have to be removed to replace window. This is the worst of the three double glazed windows to fail.
Now I have the problem to replicate the condensation when at the dealers. Has anybody had this window unit replaced?

Has anyone changed any of the double glazed windows themselves or got a auto glass company in to change the unit rather than go to the dealers, or is it a dealer only job to change the glass?
The glass unit on the drivers side has failed and it's getting more and more dirty, it's starting to get on my nerves more than the blistering roof :D

Most autoglass places will fit glass to your Cali or even a camper convertors :thumb

'Most autoglass places will fit glass to your Cali or even a camper convertors'

Brilliant, thanks for the reply, and can they get the unit or do I need to order this myself from vw?

They should be able to get the genuine one for you failing that if you have a TPS nearby
You could buy it yourself and get them to fit it :thumb

Back