Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink tap not working

H

hugnettelfield

Any ideas how to rectify? I can hear the pump switch click on and off but there is no sound from the pump motor. Recently the problem has been intermittent. Currently I have no water in the tank (don't want to put any in if I can't get it back out). And no, the pump has not burned out because I've been using it dry!

Any ideas how to rectify? I can hear the pump switch click on and off but there is no sound from the pump motor. Recently the problem has been intermittent. Currently I have no water in the tank (don't want to put any in if I can't get it back out). And no, the pump has not burned out because I've been using it dry!
1. You don’t have to pump the water out of the tank, you could just use the Drain Tap.
2. Follow the wires in the R kitchen cupboard from below the tap to the plug and socket connector. Disconnect the connector and short the 2 connectors in the socket not connected to tap. Does Pump work. If not check pump and 5 amp fuse under passenger seat.( I think that’s where it is ).. If pump works then either replace tap or disassemble and clean micro switch.

Try filling and draining then refilling the tank. Try banging the tank too. Sometimes the pump can stick. What vehicle do you have? Have you got the shower connection? Try that if so. Same pump. As said try shorting out the micro switch wires under the sink. The cutlery drawer is removable for access. The fuse is a 5a fuse under the passenger seat.

I believe the tap stops working if grey water tank is full. Worth checking

I believe the tap stops working if grey water tank is full. Worth checking
I believe that when the grey water tank is full then you're sink won't empty.
I don't believe what you believe.

There would have to be a sensor between the tap and waste tank, and there isn't .

Um, I trust to your better knowledge
Can’t find where I read this but for sure didn’t just make it up, but maybe misunderstood
However as it’s an easy check, worth checking

Ok, have traced back the white wire from the tap ... a bit tricky as it disappears behind the fridge... but a white wire reappears by the domestic battery and this leads to a small black connector ... which I have disconnected then reatached. I don't understand the instruction "... and short the 2 connectors in the socket not connected to tap" so I've not done that. Confirmed tap still not working. Fuses under passenger seat .. there are many 15amp (blue) and 20amp (yellow) fuses but no 5amp as far as I can see. No idea which job each of the fuses does. Any comments appreciated and suggestions for a way forwards!

If you notice noting wrong electric/fuse
Are you 100% sure the tap is ok ?
Open the tank , check the pump .
Give it a light tap as suggested they can get stuck , check oif the outlet hose in not popped off (happend on mine) .
If under warrenty , bring it in and have it checked.

Ok, have traced back the white wire from the tap ... a bit tricky as it disappears behind the fridge... but a white wire reappears by the domestic battery and this leads to a small black connector ... which I have disconnected then reatached. I don't understand the instruction "... and short the 2 connectors in the socket not connected to tap" so I've not done that. Confirmed tap still not working. Fuses under passenger seat .. there are many 15amp (blue) and 20amp (yellow) fuses but no 5amp as far as I can see. No idea which job each of the fuses does. Any comments appreciated and suggestions for a way forwards!
I presume you have a California T5 SE, as you have no details in your Avatar. I think you are tracing the wrong wire.
if you remove the cutlery drawer in the kitchen unit, you should see a double wire at the base of the tap and it should pass around the R side of the sink to a connector wrapped in foam which is jammed up on the R side of the sink. That’s the connector.

Connector 13 is the one connected to the tap. Disconnect and use a paper clip to short the 2 connectors.
C0701A61-29D6-4ED8-B07C-E956FCE6D6C6.jpeg

Had the same problems. Result was a replacement pump, got a new tap as well.
Many thanks to Rob at camper sales in burgess hill

Well, I had fun trying to get the kitchen drawer out (eventually successfully), then trying to locate the connector under the sink (eventually successfully) and then trying to disconnect the connector (spectacularly unsuccessful). Looking at the wonderful diagram (thanks for showing) I think I was trying to detach the item identified as '9' on the diagram, but perhaps it is item identified as '7' that I should have been working on? But maybe this is a job for someone who knows what they are doing?
My very lovely van is a 2013 California T5 SE, perfect in all respects other than a flipping not-working tap!!

I've done this recently - just check all the fuses under the passenger seat and one will be blown.

Then replace the pump it is cheap and easy and if it is not that no big loss the old pump will have broken eventually :D

2015 California SE

I have a similar problem but the fuse has blown. I have replaced the fuse twice and it blows as soon as I operate the tap. Has anyone had this experience and any solutions that might solve the problem.
I have examined the micro switch in the tap and it seems OK. Is it possible to replace the tap handle in the wrong place?

All advice will be appreciated.

2015 California SE

I have a similar problem but the fuse has blown. I have replaced the fuse twice and it blows as soon as I operate the tap. Has anyone had this experience and any solutions that might solve the problem.
I have examined the micro switch in the tap and it seems OK. Is it possible to replace the tap handle in the wrong place?

All advice will be appreciated.
I think you should check your pump. Sounds as if it is seizing up, requiring more power than the normal 3 to 4 amps .

Thanks for prompt reply, I have read quite a number of threads and I will try and get the lid off the tank to have a look. Do you know if having taken off the tap lever to examine the micro switch whether I can replace it in the wrong position and foul up the microswitch in the tap?

Hello to all you helpful folk. I can not get a new pump from the club. What would you recommend as the best replacement and from where would I get it.. I am wary of some.of the stuff on eBay because of quality issues.
Thanks
Barry

Hello to all you helpful folk. I can not get a new pump from the club. What would you recommend as the best replacement and from where would I get it.. I am wary of some.of the stuff on eBay because of quality issues.
Thanks
Barry
An alternative is a Whale 12v submersible pump. Commonly used on caravans and motorhome. Any caravan or motorhome dealer, or Internet.

These are the details from the club shop:
Original VW Fresh Water Pump – VW California Ocean / SE
Rated 4.00 out of 5 based on 1customer rating
(1 customer review)
£38.99 Inc VAT

Only 1 left in stock

Add to basket
SKU: VW - 7E7963385Categories: VW Parts, AccessoriesTag: VW Pump

When you say you cant get one are they out of stock? If so you can order one from any VW spare dept using the part number above?

That is brilliant thanks purchased on ebay with a short delivery time.