Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sit on top canoes / kayaks on a California

I cart my ski (Epic V10 s) around a lot - has now been joined by a roofbox as well which has bulky light stuff in it like PFD's etc. Reckon it must be about 40kg on the roof. I use the thule racks as it means I can open the boot fully when its on the roof and still have my Atera bike rack on it as well !image1.JPG

A surfski on a cali - a very nice combination! And one I aspire to. So how do you get the boat up on top and how do you get it down again? I'm fairly sure I couldn't get it up there unassisted.
Also, if you're familiar with the 1-10 stability factor used here in the UK for racing K1s (10 most stable), any idea where your Epic V10 would rank?

I have a little foldable step from Ikea which I set up, once you have the ski up and balanced on your shoulder I step up and can get it on reasonably easily, it's not that much of a faff really as the ski is only about 14kg I think from memory (this is the performance layup - there is a lighter on). The V10s is about a 6 I think , the V8 is about an 8, probably equiv to a TK1. I'm pretty comfortable in it in most conditions and I'm no mega flash paddler.

Using a step sounds like an excellent technique, thanks. I like the idea of a surfski for camping trips because it's a proper racing kayak but you can get back into it! Racing a K1 on a river is fine - you just swim to the bank if you capsize. But for the sea or a lake it's not so good, i.e. dangerous.

Yep, I mean you can roll a K1 with a knee strap though ;-) Skis are good fun in the sea with their underslung rudder, you just have to v careful around rocks and beaches as easy to snap them off. The Epic V7 is a bit of a hybrid with a stern rudder, worth looking at. They are awesome when the swells up though, also quick enough to paddle on the flat, I use mine all over the place, 2 hours in Loch Earn on Sunday for example training.

Dont forget max weight on roof 50kg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We have a 2 man Tarpon 130T sit on top which fits nicely on a set of Thule roof bars and is light enough for the roof to operate when it is still strapped on. I did look at the Karitek but it is a bit too industrial and heavy for my liking.
View attachment 14010 apped on.
Do you use that step up to get it on the roof? I'm looking for ideas, the telescopic ladders are quite large.

Do you use that step up to get it on the roof? I'm looking for ideas, the telescopic ladders are quite large.
Yes they are little 3 step folding ladders, bought from Tesco direct. Loading is simple with two people, load from the back with kayak lifted above head, person at front climbs steps and places front of kayak (upside down) on first roof rack, from there it is mostly pushing it forward keeping the rear down a bit till the second roof rack is reached. It seems difficult at first but once done a couple of times it is no problem, my wife and I are not tall and she is petit. Our Thule roof rack has the rubber strips to fill the T slot, if you lub the kayak with a spray of car wash and water, or silicon spray it helps it slide over these.

Remember to tie the seat backs to keep them off the roof and out the wind.

Just got a gumotex twist 2. For a 11kg inflatable double open kayak it looks very well put together. It will be a good piece of kit to teach the nippers to paddle!

Just tested our Ruk Kayak loader at the weekend. It was only £39.99 and basically consists of a bar you bolt to one of the roof bars with an extendible locking bar with a stop on it.

It certainly helped the two of us get the 2 man kayak up on the roof, although i did feel it was perhaps not long enough. The only real advantage is reduction of the risk of dropping it onto your van. If anything you have to lift higher to get it over the stop.

We used foam bed rolls and towels on the rear to protect the paint and had very little problem. With hindsight I think something like Julian's loader would be just as effective.

There is a loading bungee that in theory means you could load it solo but to be frank the bar isn't long enough to get my two man kayak away from the van and thus I don't see this as viable.

I think the old addage of you get what you pay for holds true here. Not bad but not brilliant.

$_57.JPG

Good afternoon,

Does anybody have any experience with Rhino bars and their rear rollers to load canoes? I'm thinking the Karitek is just a bit too much gear.

Regards,

Kari-tek setup for sale on eBay. It is not mine and I have no connection with seller. Noticed it because I keep an eye out for spare Kari-tek Kayak J bars. Looks in very good condition and has Cali brackets.

eBay item number: 222378904269

Kari-tek setup for sale on eBay. It is not mine and I have no connection with seller. Noticed it because I keep an eye out for spare Kari-tek Kayak J bars. Looks in very good condition and has Cali brackets.

eBay item number: 222378904269

Thanks, very kind of you. I'm tending back towards the Karitek as it is designed for the Canadian canoe.

I was thinking of a roller at the back. However if you roll the canoe up, at some point it will reach a tipping point and unless in full control, there is a risk of accident or damage to the van's roof. Also, I would need to carry a step ladder to reach up and strap the canoe to the bars.

Regarding the Ebay one, if closer I'd probably go for it, but it's a day and a day's round trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having now used it a few times I thought I could share the kayak load assist device I’ve made and have been using.

Where the van is parked I can’t load from the tailgate (house is in the way) and loading from the nearside is awkward as well. That leaves loading on the awning side and there was no way I was going to be able to safely lift the kayak 2m+ onto roofbars. So I have made some extra supports that get the boat half way up and alongside the van. Once at a better height (and standing on some steps) I can then lift the final bit onto the bars & hull supports.
IMG_1035.JPG
The vertical bars are made from wood, garage hooks are bolted to the vertical bars and at the top is a piece of bent aluminium that fixes to the slot in the roof bars using T fittings. Simple blocks of foam sit against the side windows. If I’m using the bars on the nearside it sits closer to the van sides as the awning isn’t in the way so the foam blocks can be turned to reduce their depth.
IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1034.JPG
I may well change the hooks for either smaller ones or some form of fold down bar. The upturned end of the existing hook is awkward to lift the boat over and when removed the whole arrangement takes up quite a bit of space on the rear multiflex board.

Having now used it a few times I thought I could share the kayak load assist device I’ve made and have been using.

Where the van is parked I can’t load from the tailgate (house is in the way) and loading from the nearside is awkward as well. That leaves loading on the awning side and there was no way I was going to be able to safely lift the kayak 2m+ onto roofbars. So I have made some extra supports that get the boat half way up and alongside the van. Once at a better height (and standing on some steps) I can then lift the final bit onto the bars & hull supports.
View attachment 22310
The vertical bars are made from wood, garage hooks are bolted to the vertical bars and at the top is a piece of bent aluminium that fixes to the slot in the roof bars using T fittings. Simple blocks of foam sit against the side windows. If I’m using the bars on the nearside it sits closer to the van sides as the awning isn’t in the way so the foam blocks can be turned to reduce their depth.
View attachment 22311 View attachment 22312
I may well change the hooks for either smaller ones or some form of fold down bar. The upturned end of the existing hook is awkward to lift the boat over and when removed the whole arrangement takes up quite a bit of space on the rear multiflex board.

Great idea and hand crafted (better than home made) excellent.

View attachment 22310
View attachment 22311 View attachment 22312
This looks very ingenious, would be interested in a video or a demo sometime of how you load if you ever have a chance. I am not quite grasping how this works from looking at the pictures.

Thanks,

Matt.

This looks very ingenious, would be interested in a video or a demo sometime of how you load if you ever have a chance. I am not quite grasping how this works from looking at the pictures.

Thanks,

Matt.
If your ever down the south coast area very welcome to a demo or else I will try and do a video next time I load the kayak.
Its not a totally effort free load but if you can lift the boat unto your shoulder solo (eg to carry it to the water) then you would be ok to get it onto the roof.

Thanks,

Matt.

Finally made the video, sorry for delay but been on hols (in the Cali of course)

Owen