Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ski camping - time to take the plunge

Graham

Graham

VIP Member
I haven't skied for 15 years, having been put off when Mrs W snapped a knee ligament in my company. I have a 14 yr old daughter who is dead keen to learn and I wouldn't mind giving it another go. So with W15EVW sat on the driveway, it seems like a brill opportunity to take #1 sprog and I off for a week's ski camping during spring half term. We even have command approval, so definitely time to take it seriously.

So .... for those more experienced in winter camping and alpine driving, what are the essentials that we should consider (we've never camped in snow or driven the van in proper winter conditions). I will be the sole driver & there will be 2 of us sleeping in the van.

I have to consider the relative cost of additional preps and fuel/tolls/campsite vs a cheap catered flyaway trip.

I am considering le Grand Bornand as we had an excellent week there this summer and I really like both the campsite and the town.

All and any contributions welcomed. And yes, I have read all related threads on our wonderful forum.

Thanks, Graham

Hi Graham,
We are doing the same and going to L'Escale in Le Grand Bornand in Feb half term next year. It will be our first time skiing in the Cali and have purchased the following items in readiness:
Mutze cap
Mini Delonghi Bambino oil filled rad
Folding snow shovel
Thule snow chains
Snow track mat (Aldi are selling them now for £10)
15tog down duvet for Duvalay (my son will use this up top)
Carbon monoxide detector (will be doing more cooking inside with little ventilation)

We tested out the radiator a couple of weeks ago. It went down to 3oC and was too hot up top since the heat rises so I think it will be fine even at much lower temps. We would leave the rad on low during the day whilst skiing. We find the diesel blow heater too noisy and will only use it for a quick blast to heat up the van quickly.

I hope this helps..are you going in Feb ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Join the forum at +++++++++++++++++++++++ & look in the Europ & Non-Europe section they have a good article with tips from their winter ski trip in their cali.

Sorry the url does not display properly, should obviously be all one word.