Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleeping comfort-VW Ocean

L

livvyandrod2022

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone
Just getting our first van. Was wondering whether there was any advice / tips on the most comfortable mattress arrangements and whether Duvalays are the way to go?

Hi everyone
Just getting our first van. Was wondering whether there was any advice / tips on the most comfortable mattress arrangements and whether Duvalays are the way to go?
You’ll get lots of opinions on this topic @livvyandrod2022 because like at home, mattresses are a personal choice. For what it’s worth we normally sleep in the pop top and find the springs and factory supplied mattress are firm but very comfortable. Not been tempted to replace anything up there. Only slept ‘downstairs’ a couple of times and again, found the comfort mattress to be fine. I’d suggest that you try them in your van before splashing the cash on alternatives.

Last edited:
You’ll get lots of opinions on this topic @livvyandrod2022 because like at home mattresses are a personal choice. For what it’s worth we normally sleep in the pop top and find the springs and factory supplied mattress are firm but very comfortable. Not been tempted to replace anything up there. Only slept ‘downstairs’ a couple of times and again, found the comfort mattress to be fine. I’d suggest that you try them in your van before splashing the cash on alternatives.
Yes, I think you are absolutely right. We are going to wait until it arrives before we splash out on anything, as none of the options are cheap! Thanks for reply.

You’ll get lots of opinions on this topic @livvyandrod2022 because like at home, mattresses are a personal choice. For what it’s worth we normally sleep in the pop top and find the springs and factory supplied mattress are firm but very comfortable. Not been tempted to replace anything up there. Only slept ‘downstairs’ a couple of times and again, found the comfort mattress to be fine. I’d suggest that you try them in your van before splashing the cash on alternatives.
We also prefer to sleep upstairs. We had added a thin topper to the standard mattress but still find it a tad hard when sleeping on our sides. Tomorrow I pick up a Zonesleep Ultra mattress as a replacement. I like the idea that this is 50mm thick and can be left in place when the roof is down, whereas the Duvalay has to be rolled up and stored. I'll update once given the real overnight test.

Thanks - do you know if they do a size that fits the bed in the Ocean, either up or down? I couldn't find one online.

The campervan size fits the downstairs bed, it's what we have and love, but is difficult to get hold of.

Great recommendation is to try and visit the club shop to see and try different options. As said above it can be a very personal choice...

Yes, I think you are absolutely right. We are going to wait until it arrives before we splash out on anything, as none of the options are cheap! Thanks for reply.
I agree with this reply. I find both original vw mattresses and beds just fine. But I drink alot of beer when camping so maybe that helps the sleep

We started with Duvalays. They are a good product and very comfortable. However, we have adapted one of our sets of Duvalay covers to be just the duvet bit and not the mattress. We exclusively sleep upstairs and came to the conclusion that the space saved in the van when travelling by taking the mattresses out exceeded the (it turned out to us and our particular needs) modest increase in comfort they provide.

As @GrumpyGranddad has said above, we find the upstairs mattress to be firm but fine. As a bonus I find it really straightens out my back, and a week in the van removes all lumbar aches and pains. Which perhaps says a lot about the mattress at home.

As has also been pointed out, mattresses are a very personal choice and you may have the opposite of our experience. In the end, more space in the van won out for us.

Hi everyone
Please bare in mind when looking at peoples comments that different vans came with different mattresses, the downstairs comfort mattress supplied with a T6.1 Ocean is twice as dense & half the thickness as a T6 one ( bit of an exaggeration but you get the gist)

The springs and mattress in the upper bed are totally different between T6.1 and earlier models as well.

Thanks - do you know if they do a size that fits the bed in the Ocean, either up or down? I couldn't find one online.
Hi, we slept in our new(used) 2016 Cali Ocean for the first time on Saturday night. We slept downstairs and used our existing Duvalays which fitted quite well, two together mean that some of the mattress runs up the sides but the generous built in Duvets meant that neither of us were cold nor uncomfortable.

Upstairs is an amazing sleep as is. Downstairs is OK but with the seatbelt clips and cold cupboards etc I bought a very cheap mattress topper which also keeps seats etc clean (Poundstretcher) . My biggest issue downstairs is not travelling with so much "stuff" that I have to share a bed with it... and invariably I do. If the bed deck is clear downstairs its OK.

The campervan size fits the downstairs bed, it's what we have and love, but is difficult to get hold of.

Great recommendation is to try and visit the club shop to see and try different options. As said above it can be a very personal choice...
We find the supplied mattress’s adequate bu not super comfy, and we’re on the look out for a mattress that can be used downstairs, as well as in the drive away awning. According to California Time, SeaToSummit have stopped producing the double mattress, which explains why we couldn‘t locate any a couple of months ago. California Time spotted a possible alternative at the recent NEC show - Vango’s California self inflating mattress. But, the Vango product is narrower at 100cm, which is not full width.

Vango is at 09:45

I wonder: when you are sleeping together on an rather thick air filled bed does turning in your sleep not wake up your other half? Because that is the reason we had to change our bed at home: not to make each other sea sick.. Or you have to blow your bed so hard it is not comfortable any more.

I wonder: when you are sleeping together on an rather thick air filled bed does turning in your sleep not wake up your other half? Because that is the reason we had to change our bed at home: not to make each other sea sick.. Or you have to blow your bed so hard it is not comfortable any more.

I used to sleep (for a very brief period) on an aerobed inflatable and the only thing I found about turning over was the high chance of finding something sharp between bed and sides that ensured that sinking feeling at the most inconvenient of times :shocked

Not the same with a SIM but I did find inflatables prone to becoming deflatables.

I wonder: when you are sleeping together on an rather thick air filled bed does turning in your sleep not wake up your other half?
I can't say that's an issues with ours, the lower bed is rather narrow as it is, but actually with the S2S there's an internal structure which seems to prevent this...

Don't buy anything. I didn't buy anything and lots of people don't need anything more than already supplied with the van.
Only once you get the van you will know. It depends a lot on your level of fitness I think, or sleeping habits. If you always sleep on the side, it's likely you'll need to buy something..

We have a Devon Duvet mattress topper for the lower bed (T6), which is made specifically for the Cali Ocean. It is 100% wool and makes the bottom mattress very comfy. Also when camping we leave the bed made up with the topper in place and it all folds away nicely.

Their add states

Devon Duvets
Pure British Wool Mattress Toppers for VW California

Our sumptuous, handcrafted, certified 100% British wool mattress toppers are individually created to add that little extra layer of comfort and luxury on top of the mattress in your VW California.

Yep, I'm thinking I might get a Baavet wool topper. They can do one for the van. Got a duvet of theirs on my bed & it's great.

We also prefer to sleep upstairs. We had added a thin topper to the standard mattress but still find it a tad hard when sleeping on our sides. Tomorrow I pick up a Zonesleep Ultra mattress as a replacement. I like the idea that this is 50mm thick and can be left in place when the roof is down, whereas the Duvalay has to be rolled up and stored. I'll update once given the real overnight test.
Thank you!

We sleep upstairs and find it very comfortable.
Downstairs we've bought a cheap "small double" mattress topper from dunelm.
The plan was to wait and get a sea to summit self inflating mattress when they're back instock and then use the mattress topper as a summer quilt.
However so far it's been quite comfortable with just the topper. Especially as it's hardly slept on.

Everyone is different so just like at home, whatever mattress you sleep on certainly won't suit everyone.

Get your van 1st and see.

As an extra piece of advice, your poptop mattress fits perfectly inside a single duvet cover. We use 2. 1 as a protector and 1 as the base sheet. Again cheap to buy and swap when you want.

Back