Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door table rattle driving me crazy !

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I’m sure that this must have been discussed before but can’t find anything. My sliding door table rattle is driving me crazy . I’ve put little rubber pads everywhere to no avail . Any ideas ?

Are you sure you’re clicking it in correctly? You have to push it in towards the cupboard and then back and you should hear a loud click, otherwise it’ll rattle.

Had it before as well, stuck my first-aid kit behind it with velcro. It just needs a little bit of a push to close, but you drive in peace!
Auberg-ine first-aid kit.jpg

Are you sure you’re clicking it in correctly? You have to push it in towards the cupboard and then back and you should hear a loud click, otherwise it’ll rattle.
Thanks . It’s the table in the door.

Having seen the action you took with the rubber pads and hearing no change I have to ask how sure you are that it is the table in the door?
Ignore me if you have removed the table and gone for a rattle free drive whilst it was removed.
Otherwise consider this.
I had a rattle for a few days that was right behind my right ear and down a bit. I held the seat, I reached back to the door and the pillar trim etc etc. Everything I could hold while driving and eventually when out with the family I asked my 11 year old if she could tell what it was.
"It's this" she said and pointed to the back of the seat near the fridge. My patience isn't the best at times like this and I scolded her slightly telling her where the noise was but she insisted again. In the end I pulled over and my other half who was equally frustrated at the powers of her detection as she heard it the same as me swapped places with my daughter. I drove off again with my sulking 11 year old in the front and my other half in the back who declared..."It is the back of the seat you know". She leaned on it a bit harder, there was a small but audible click and bingo!!! no more ratlle.

The table in the door sits on two rubber anti vibration inserts at the bottom edge. If one of these is missing then it will rattle. These are easy to replace as they are on the outside of the panel.

The bungy straps behind the table are also part of the anti vibration system, so if these have lost their tension, you may need to replace them, available from B&Q, or at your local chandler, off the roll.
Lastly the lock may be worn.

Both of these need the panel to come off, so may be worth doing the lot together. The lock and the rubber insets are replaceable parts available from TPS or your local friendly dealer, Breeze, Poole?

I may have the part numbers saved somewhere if you need them.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Last thought, could it be one of the legs of the table does not lock back properly?

@AlanC , can you explain how those two pices of bungee cord result in less vibration of the table in the doorpanel?
To me seems strange , they are there to keep things in place putted in that small storage area in the panel imo.
Could be wrong and i'm missing something doh .

@AlanC , can you explain how those two pices of bungee cord result in less vibration of the table in the doorpanel?
To me seems strange , they are there to keep things in place putted in that small storage area in the panel imo.
Could be wrong and i'm missing something doh .
I think that they push against the table and therefore against the lock. I am always puzzled why there is a space behind the table. We have never found a use for it.

Alan

Having seen the action you took with the rubber pads and hearing no change I have to ask how sure you are that it is the table in the door?
Ignore me if you have removed the table and gone for a rattle free drive whilst it was removed.
Otherwise consider this.
I had a rattle for a few days that was right behind my right ear and down a bit. I held the seat, I reached back to the door and the pillar trim etc etc. Everything I could hold while driving and eventually when out with the family I asked my 11 year old if she could tell what it was.
"It's this" she said and pointed to the back of the seat near the fridge. My patience isn't the best at times like this and I scolded her slightly telling her where the noise was but she insisted again. In the end I pulled over and my other half who was equally frustrated at the powers of her detection as she heard it the same as me swapped places with my daughter. I drove off again with my sulking 11 year old in the front and my other half in the back who declared..."It is the back of the seat you know". She leaned on it a bit harder, there was a small but audible click and bingo!!! no more ratlle.

2020 freedom . Thanks for making me look again . I don’t know why but I hadn’t tried without table ! Noise still there so not table but seems to be catch mechanism which was replaced recently as it was sticking . It’s more of a metal on metal juddery noise than a rattle but very loud . I’ll speak to dealer tomorrow as waste water level not working as well after replacement in April . Thanks again .

2020 freedom . Thanks for making me look again . I don’t know why but I hadn’t tried without table ! Noise still there so not table but seems to be catch mechanism which was replaced recently as it was sticking . It’s more of a metal on metal juddery noise than a rattle but very loud . I’ll speak to dealer tomorrow as waste water level not working as well after replacement in April . Thanks again .
No problem,
I was shocked as you can tell from my post about the source of my rattle. The acoustics in the back do strange things to my ears. Though it's weird that fridge top not closed properly, sliding table not clicked home all sound like the right areas yet some other things throw their sound.
If it's not the catch, another one that people have done is to wind out the awning fully and retract it again after finding the housing clanging.

Offcoarse the awning needs to be looked at one of the first things a ratlle appears from that area...

No problem,
I was shocked as you can tell from my post about the source of my rattle. The acoustics in the back do strange things to my ears. Though it's weird that fridge top not closed properly, sliding table not clicked home all sound like the right areas yet some other things throw their sound.
If it's not the catch, another one that people have done is to wind out the awning fully and retract it again after finding the housing clanging.

Thanks . Yes I learnt the awning trick a couple of years ago .

Had a side door rattle eventually found out it's the window rattling bottom edge nearest the back . Not to sure how to fix it ? Plugged up with a bit of cardboard temporary until I find a solution.

No problem,

Well finally got my very loud annoying door table rattle sorted . Gave up and went to see to see friendly Martin at Breeze Poole their California Master Technician and yet again he came up trumps ! Took him for a little ride on their local bumpy road circuit . He sat in the back . When we got back he said he wasn’t sure but he thought it was the roof ! 5 minutes in the workshop and a little piece of split clear plastic hose replaced from the scissor mechanism . Job done .
I was convinced from the drivers seat that it was the table and consequently there are many anti vibration sticky pads on the inside of the door where the table goes . I suppose that I can now remove them . Ah peace ! Waste water level was working as well just operator error . Thanks again to Martin .

Last edited:
Well finally got my very loud annoying door table rattle sorted . Gave up and went to see to see friendly Martin at Breeze Poole their California Master Technician and yet again he came up trumps ! Took him for a little ride on their local bumpy road circuit . He sat in the back . When we got back he said he wasn’t sure but he thought it was the roof ! 5 minutes in the workshop and a little piece of split clear plastic hose replaced from the scissor mechanism . Job done .
I was convinced from the drivers seat that it was the table and consequently there are many anti vibration sticky pads on the inside of the door where the table goes . I suppose that I can now remove them . Ah peace ! Waste water level was working as well just operator error . Thanks again to Martin .

Yep , thats also i thing to look at . That rubber on the roof mecanism .
People always think it comes from the sliding door/table .
Myself had a short run with the Cali just thismorning (jaarlijkse keuring = your MOT) and seems suddenly a have a ratlle from that side....
Need to go investigate where it comes from:D

Otherwise consider this.

Leaned on what exactly?

Yep.
You are very curious about this, give me some detail maybe I can elaborate.

I have a similar rattle I thought was awning tried many pads and fixes without joy but eventually took it off. Rattle was better but not gone so assume it was a double rattle. I sounds like rear door but table does not rattle at all. the release handle does rattle a bit if played with but no enough noise me thinks. Going to look at the Scissors next. Awning is back on.

Back